Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:47:38 pm

Author Topic: Which should I choose?  (Read 2561 times)  Share 

kble

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Balwyn High School
  • School Grad Year: 2015
Which should I choose?
« on: November 12, 2013, 03:16:04 pm »
Hi everyone,
I'm starting VCE next year (2014), and am really apprehensive about the final subjects I will lodge in in about a weeks time... I want to choose a range of subjects that keep my options open, as well as in my final year, not have an overwhelming workload due to 5 content heavy subjects.

The subjects I'm definitely choosing are
English Mainstream,French,Methods, Biology

The subjects I'm considering are
A second English - English Lit or English Lang.. (Help..?)
Either Psych 3/4 (I did the 1/2 this year - I didn't enjoy it that much due to the overlapping of definitions and can sometimes be ambiguous, but maybe I should stick it through for the rest of year 11?)  or History Revs (Apprehensive about this one as I've heard it's hard to do well in and is very content heavy)

I hope this made sense, I look forward to receiving your feedback!
Kim Le

VCE 2014 Psychology SS 49
VCE 2015 English, French, Health and Human Development, Further Math, History Revolutions.

walkec

Re: Which should I choose?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 05:02:09 pm »
Hi everyone,
I'm starting VCE next year (2014), and am really apprehensive about the final subjects I will lodge in in about a weeks time... I want to choose a range of subjects that keep my options open, as well as in my final year, not have an overwhelming workload due to 5 content heavy subjects.

The subjects I'm definitely choosing are
English Mainstream,French,Methods, Biology

Either Psych 3/4 (I did the 1/2 this year - I didn't enjoy it that much due to the overlapping of definitions and can sometimes be ambiguous, but maybe I should stick it through for the rest of year 11?)  or History Revs (Apprehensive about this one as I've heard it's hard to do well in and is very content heavy)

I hope this made sense, I look forward to receiving your feedback!

If you didn't enjoy psych, don't do the 3/4. If you like reading and analysing the deeper meaning of books, choose lit

HossRyams

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +30
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 05:39:10 pm »
I wouldn't dismiss psychology that easily (perhaps I'm biased because I really enjoyed it)

It's way different to 1&2 - I found 1&2 so boring and almost forgot that I even did the subject. Plus it gives you a break from other subjects since it's a lot easier, but if you're concerned about content-heavy subjects, then maybe don't take it. However what I find is that the content in psych is so simplistic it doesn't really matter, as opposed to something like revs
Arts & Law student @ Monash.

chal2oye

• Non-Student
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: pioneer
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 10:24:09 pm »
I had not faced any difficulty or complications with the VCP550 braindumpsin the preparation of my CFA admission test. For more information visit HP you can also visit Youtube is a great page visit this Hyperion
 Best Of Luck.

LastOfUs

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +7
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 11:14:25 pm »

I was enrolled in both until two days ago, in which I dropped revolutions. The 1/2 for psychology is really boring but the 3/4 is actually really relatable and I'm finding it enjoyable just to read over my textbook and learn about things such as the Waking State of Consciousness or the Altered States of Consciousness and applying it to real life. Even though it has a fair few definitions from what I've heard that you'll need to remember, it's also relatively easy to do well and is *one* of the most enjoyable subjects offered, as I've been told.

Revolutions would also be a great subject depending on what you like. I for one LOVE history - I love watching videos about ancient Rome, about gladiators and I love picking and choosing things that I personally find interesting but once again subjective, I found that as I was looking through my future course (China + Russia revs) they appeared to be somewhat boring to me (subjective). You just had to remember so much stuff and not all of it will interest you - so many dates about everything, what happened in those revolutions and you just are required to know everything down to the T; I decided I'd drop it for this reason as I certainly wasn't going to be interested in the entirety of the course and in the exam, although predictable in how you are going to answer, you don't know what the topic will be for the 3 parts which really do specify in small areas. History teachers also have the tendency of talking for the entire period when trying to explain things so you may find it difficult to take notes or actually comprehend what they're saying when they only go over it once.

I'm certainly biased in saying this, but I'd choose psychology. You have a solid study design to follow and you can't really go wrong if you put in the time and effort in knowing it all whilst revolutions is completely different. I was averaging 95% throughout 20th century history in Year 11 in which my teacher preached me in being his 4th 50SS and I was also accepted into UMEP History for Age of Empires which would have been amazing but I've turned it all down and chose Legal Studies over it.

Just do your research and you'll naturally come to a conclusion. If you want to learn about sleep, consciousness, learning, your mind etc. in great depths whilst remaining enjoyable and still relatively easy choose psychology. If you have a passion for history and would love to learn the 2/4 revolutions that your school selected, choose it!
My VCE 2014 Goal is to not end consciousness ... and a respectable ATAR.

sjayne

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 11:47:32 pm »
If you enjoy it then Revolutions is absolutely amazing. The discussions are fun and insightful and you learn so much, not just about the past but about analysis and interpretation, essentially it changes the way you think. It's challenging but also rewarding. I loved it and hated it but I would go through that again and again because I think it made me a better person.

Psych I'm picking up next year because I find all the brain stuff interesting as well as the other content. I WANT to learn the course, and I'm excited about it.

Have a look at the content for each subject, because you will be learning about it for the next year.  Pick the subjects that you would regret not doing and choose what your heart is telling you. Don't let other peoples opinions persuade you because this isn't about them, it is about you. If you feel like you will be motivated to put more effort into a certain subjects then that is a good sign. Deep down you probably know what you want to do already. I did last year and yet I ignored my instincts, chose subjects I wanted myself to like and hated every minute of those classes. Make sure you will have no regrets, that's the best advice I can give.
2015   BSc: psych at unimelb