Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:41:18 pm

Author Topic: VCE English Question Thread  (Read 847507 times)  Share 

lisax3

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2015
Re: VCE English Question Thread
« Reply #465 on: July 05, 2015, 10:09:16 am »
What would be the structure for an expository context essay body paragraph?

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #466 on: July 06, 2015, 08:49:37 pm »
+3
I was wondering what is the best way to re-read a text?
Also how can I focus on the current area of study my school is focusing on and also study back other t.r texts, context and language analysis all at the same time?
If you have a pretty complete grasp of the plot, characters, and basic major themes, you're dissecting for the details here.  (If not, read like the first time, just reading it like a 'story').  Have a couple of Word documents open and add to them as you go through; mainly it's up to your intuition, but some pointers:

> Quote bank.  As you read, when you hit anything notable in some way, write out the quote, and a couple of brief notes on context/who said it if you think you need it.  Later, you can go through and organise it - by character or theme - and throw in any ideas about how you'd discuss/analyse them in essays.  This is the MOST important.
> Characters.  List any important events, turning points, quotes, etc. that show their characteristics and development.
> Themes.
> Random ideas.  When you hit on a metaphor you can use, or any insight, scribble it down.

Don't trust yourself to remember anything you stumble on, WRITE IT DOWN.  And don't just skim lightly without thinking analytically.

Doing what the class is doing and keeping up with other stuff is simply a general study skill/time management skill.  Maybe try compiling a list of ways you can study/things you can do for each of 3 essay types.  Then, if you're doing context in class, spend an hour doing stuff on that list for language analysis each week.  It's up to you, ultimately.

What would be the structure for an expository context essay body paragraph?
Hard question, because there are no rules and exact structure in context!

My guess, but look I don't know:
> broad, zoomed-out, wide opening couple of statements
> zoom in to nitty-gritty details and examples, repeating as often as you see fit:
------> assert or suggest some theoretical idea
------> give some evidence/example(s)
------> explain what you draw out of this evidence, the messages/theoretical ideas it proves
> zoom back out to another broad statement, the cumulation of what you've discussed in the paragraph rather than a rehash of the TS; stuff like what your discussion shows about the prompt/mankind/human condition
> link to next para (optional, but of course you want flow)

Try going through some sample high-scoring expositories (e.g. in English Resources and Sample High Scoring Responses) and deconstruct their paragraphs into brief dot-point sentences; that'll give you an idea of their structure and flow.
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +273
« Reply #467 on: July 07, 2015, 05:31:15 pm »
You guys always tell me to 'just' write, and so I have been following that and there has been improvements, so very grateful (bangali_lok youre the best...)

But it's time for some serious business. I don't just want 'slight' improvements, its time for seriousness. What do you guys recommend, writing in pencil or typing up practice essays, be honest with me please xD

Also would reading random books really improve my essays? And my teacher says I need to enhance my vocabulary, which ways can I take to ensure this is achieved?

Please offer serious help, and even if it sounds too hardcore, I am willing to follow the advice, be it reading the dictionary in my spare time :P
2016-2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine
2015: VCE (ATAR: 94.85)

_fruitcake_

« Reply #468 on: July 07, 2015, 05:36:57 pm »
+2
You guys always tell me to 'just' write, and so I have been following that and there has been improvements, so very grateful (bangali_lok youre the best...)

But it's time for some serious business. I don't just want 'slight' improvements, its time for seriousness. What do you guys recommend, writing in pencil or typing up practice essays, be honest with me please xD

Also would reading random books really improve my essays? And my teacher says I need to enhance my vocabulary, which ways can I take to ensure this is achieved?

Please offer serious help, and even if it sounds too hardcore, I am willing to follow the advice, be it reading the dictionary in my spare time :P

Writing in pencil helps, first it improves your handwriting.. and it simulates what your sacs and exam will be like. Examiners loveee to see clear handwriting and good ideas after spending the last hour squinting at hard-to-read essays

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #469 on: July 07, 2015, 05:56:55 pm »
+4

Do you have a list of your problems?  Do you know exactly what some of your issues are? Please, I haven't said 'just write' - I've said, write, then identify a problem, then write again fixing up that problem.  If you haven't got a list of your specific specific problems, then tomorrow, I assign you homework: sit down with a couple of your essays/feedbacks, and try to write a dot-point list of little things you can do to improve.  If you don't get anywhere, feel free to post an essay for feedback in the work submission forum; I'm willing to work on pointing out little specific issues and ways to improve them, if you tell me whether you want me to be harsh or gentle.

EDIT: Another thing is brainstorming and detailed plans - they save a lot of time since writing a whole essay is really time-consuming.  Then show the plans to your teacher to point out your overall flaws.  Or try just practice paragraphs, rather than whole essays.  You can generally find your issues even in just one paragraph.

Write in pen, ideally. :P

Vocab: (copy-pasted from a big post I'm compiling on vocab/expression in my worst procrastinating moments, stay tuned):
1.   Write something.
2.   Go through it, or get someone else to go through it, and list any ‘problem’ words – words that are commonly repeated (e.g. ‘the’… no not that), don’t quite express what you wanted, or are vague and generic (e.g. ‘good’).
3.   Thesaurus it.  I love verbising.
4.   From this, build a bank of synonyms.
5.   Similarly, read other people’s writing and steal any great words you see them use.
6.   Stick up sticky notes or mindmaps of good synonyms on your wall, in your locker, anywhere you’ll look at them.
7.   Practice writing the words in single (ideally analytical) sentences to get used to them.  Get other people to check them to make sure they make sense.
8.   When writing essays, have the bank there and refer to it as you go, trying to incorporate new words.  Or, write ‘closed-book’ essays, and go over them afterwards, replacing weaker words with stronger ones from your bank.
9.   If you have especial trouble with repeating one word, focus the next time you write an essay on NEVER using that word, and always trying to put in a synonym.
10.   Repeat.  Ad infinitum.

And yes, wider reading will help just with better expression.  Probably, at this point in the year, I'll break it to you that it won't have much impact on your essays because it's more a long-term gradual change.  BUT, it will really help you with EVERYTHING you ever write in the future, at uni or whatever.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 06:02:01 pm by bangali_lok »

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #470 on: July 07, 2015, 06:06:25 pm »
Do you have a list of your problems?  Do you know exactly what some of your issues are? Please, I haven't said 'just write' - I've said, write, then identify a problem, then write again fixing up that problem.  If you haven't got a list of your specific specific problems, then tomorrow, I assign you homework: sit down with a couple of your essays/feedbacks, and try to write a dot-point list of little things you can do to improve.  If you don't get anywhere, feel free to post an essay for feedback in the work submission forum; I'm willing to work on pointing out little specific issues and ways to improve them, if you tell me whether you want me to be harsh or gentle.

EDIT: Another thing is brainstorming and detailed plans - they save a lot of time since writing a whole essay is really time-consuming.  Then show the plans to your teacher to point out your overall flaws.  Or try just practice paragraphs, rather than whole essays.  You can generally find your issues even in just one paragraph.

Write in pen, ideally. :P

Vocab: (copy-pasted from a big post I'm compiling on vocab/expression in my worst procrastinating moments, stay tuned):
1.   Write something.
2.   Go through it, or get someone else to go through it, and list any ‘problem’ words – words that are commonly repeated (e.g. ‘the’… no not that), don’t quite express what you wanted, or are vague and generic (e.g. ‘good’).
3.   Thesaurus it.  I love verbising.
4.   From this, build a bank of synonyms.
5.   Similarly, read other people’s writing and steal any great words you see them use.
6.   Stick up sticky notes or mindmaps of good synonyms on your wall, in your locker, anywhere you’ll look at them.
7.   Practice writing the words in single (ideally analytical) sentences to get used to them.  Get other people to check them to make sure they make sense.
8.   When writing essays, have the bank there and refer to it as you go, trying to incorporate new words.  Or, write ‘closed-book’ essays, and go over them afterwards, replacing weaker words with stronger ones from your bank.
9.   If you have especial trouble with repeating one word, focus the next time you write an essay on NEVER using that word, and always trying to put in a synonym.
10.   Repeat.  Ad infinitum.

And yes, wider reading will help just with better expression.  Probably, at this point in the year, I'll break it to you that it won't have much impact on your essays because it's more a long-term gradual change.  BUT, it will really help you with EVERYTHING you ever write in the future, at uni or whatever.

Cheers xD

I will write some paragraphs (extended answers) tomorrow and post them, but what if you haven't read the book (The Complete Maus) ?

I really love that synonym idea, will definitely do it! xD Can you start me off with a good word that I have used more than once in this interview with you (:P) and provide me with a synonym for it? No, not testing your vocab skills haha

But seriously, thank you for the constant help and encouragement!

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #471 on: July 07, 2015, 06:14:13 pm »
+1
Y'welcome bro, it's called procrastination from doing paid/necessary work XD

Cheers xD

I will write some paragraphs (extended answers) tomorrow and post them, but what if you haven't read the book (The Complete Maus) ?
It won't be optimal, but I can still point out some stuff, probably.  I hain't read Medea, either.

Can you start me off with a good word that I have used more than once in this interview with you (:P) and provide me with a synonym for it?
Yes - 'synonym'. :P
'similar word' (can't think of anything better).

By 'write something', though, I meant, like write a language analysis, and go through and find that you're using the word 'positions' too often.  Or something.

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
« Reply #472 on: July 07, 2015, 06:36:28 pm »
+4
Cheers xD

I'll happily jump in if there are any interpretative errors or comments about the text that you're not sure are completely accurate, but the majority of essay feedback will centre on things like relevance, clarity, and idea development (as well as grammar and general good expression) so an inside-out knowledge of the text isn't completely necessary.

I really love that synonym idea, will definitely do it! xD Can you start me off with a good word that I have used more than once in this interview with you (:P) and provide me with a synonym for it?

Start with 'said.' It's one of the worst and most overused words in English since it's just so generic. You never want to say 'the author says...' in your essays - there'll always be a way better option available.

General verbs about what the author is doing can also be a good starting point.
For instance, if you want to say the writer >makes us think good things< about a certain idea, then you could explore words like 'celebrates' / 'extols' / 'glorifies' / 'venerate' <-- each of which have their own subtleties in terms of when you'd use them.
Then you can explore the reverse, ie. the author 'condemns' / 'denounces' / 'rebukes' / 'inveighs' ...etc.

The best starting point is going to be your own writing though. Go back over old essays and look for the kinds of words you rely upon often, and then find some alternatives you can keep up your sleeve :)

angelrox00

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Hume Anglican Grammar
« Reply #473 on: July 07, 2015, 10:15:05 pm »
Hi everyone, How important is the length of essays in the english exam? Approximately, how many words do you think will be typical of a high scoring essay?

Thanks
May God Bless
~Angel Raju

• Forum Leader
  • socratic junkie wannabe
  • Respect: +341
« Reply #474 on: July 07, 2015, 10:51:08 pm »
+3
I think I read on this forum previously that one would want to aim for ~1000 words, ideally. However, you could still get a 10/10 essay by going 900 or 1100 words, for example. As far as I know, there is no magic number. The only thing that's important is that you meet the criteria of each specific task A/B/C and aim to write up about 3-4 body paragraphs (very generalised rule) for your pieces. Overall, the cliche of 'quality over quantity' definitely applies, and you should always aim for clarity and sophistication over length for VCE English. Obviously, quality can be hampered if there is too little quantity, but this is where you just use common sense.
2016–2018: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Neuroscience), The University of Melbourne
2019–2022: Doctor of Medicine, The University of Melbourne

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #475 on: July 10, 2015, 06:19:03 pm »
It's not an essay, so I don't think I should post it on the essay marking, but could someone have a look on the extended response question I answered, please?

Book: The Complete Maus

1. What makes someone a survivor like Vladek?

To become a survivor, much like Vladek, an individual must have endured, and essentially have overcome such challenging experiences. The events that Vladek went through can be seen as incomparable, the inhumane treatment, scarce supplies and the deadly diseases that the Jews had to witness overall, just to suffer another day. The conditions so bad and the food so scarce, that it was the perfect recipe to "die even more slowly". To give up and “to die, it is easy”, “But you have to struggle for life!” A person is classified as a survivor when they overcome situations where it is much easier to give up, then to persist and conquer. Surviving situations like this requires not only physical strength, but, more importantly, one must have the correct mindset and emotional stability to endure the conflict. That is what it takes, to become a survivor like Vladek.

TheAspiringDoc

« Reply #476 on: July 10, 2015, 06:41:51 pm »
+1
Cheers xD

I really love that synonym idea, will definitely do it! xD Can you start me off with a good word that I have used more than once in this interview with you (:P) and provide me with a synonym for it? No, not testing your vocab skills haha

But seriously, thank you for the constant help and encouragement!
There's your word! :P

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #477 on: July 10, 2015, 08:29:34 pm »
There's your word! :P

xD

It's not an essay, so I don't think I should post it on the essay marking, but could someone have a look on the extended response question I answered, please?

To become a survivor, much like Vladek, an individual must have endured, and essentially have overcome such challenging experiences. The events that Vladek went through can be seen as incomparable, the inhumane treatment, scarce supplies and the deadly diseases that the Jews had to witness overall, just to suffer another day. The conditions so bad and the food so scarce, that it was the perfect recipe to "die even more slowly". To give up and “to die, it is easy”, “But you have to struggle for life!” A person is classified as a survivor when they overcome situations where it is much easier to give up, then to persist and conquer. Surviving situations like this requires not only physical strength, but, more importantly, one must have the correct mindset and emotional stability to endure the conflict. That is what it takes, to become a survivor like Vladek.

Anyone ?

_fruitcake_

« Reply #478 on: July 10, 2015, 08:37:57 pm »
+3

not the best..i been doing homework since  9am.. just a different idea

The events that Vladek went through can be seen as incomparable, the inhumane treatment, scarce supplies and the deadly diseases that the Jews had to witness overall, just to suffer another day. The conditions so bad and the food so scarce, that it was the perfect recipe to "die even more slowly". Surviving situations like this requires not only physical strength, but, more importantly, one must have the correct mindset and emotional stability to endure the conflict. To become a survivor, much like Vladek, an individual must have endured, and essentially have overcome such challenging experiences. A person is classified a survivor when they have overcame situations where it is much easier to give up, than to persist and conquer.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 08:39:32 pm by _fruitcake_ »

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #479 on: July 11, 2015, 11:04:36 am »
not the best..i been doing homework since  9am.. just a different idea

The events that Vladek went through can be seen as incomparable, the inhumane treatment, scarce supplies and the deadly diseases that the Jews had to witness overall, just to suffer another day. The conditions so bad and the food so scarce, that it was the perfect recipe to "die even more slowly". Surviving situations like this requires not only physical strength, but, more importantly, one must have the correct mindset and emotional stability to endure the conflict. To become a survivor, much like Vladek, an individual must have endured, and essentially have overcome such challenging experiences. A person is classified a survivor when they have overcame situations where it is much easier to give up, than to persist and conquer.

Cheers fruitcake, but do you have any specific improvements for me?

6. What changes do people experience, if any, after they have lived under tyranny for so long?

When people live under tyranny for so long, they start reform their lifestyles and habits, adjusting them just to survive the oppression. Vladek constantly stated that he remains a "strong man" throughout the Holocaust, “I was still strong, I could sit through the snow all night”. The war took a toll on Vladek, however, after the war had ended, Vladek had changed forever. The skills and ideas that Vladek developed during the war to survive became permanent, and he continued to express them in New York. The reason behind Vladek's substandard behaviours is because of the scarce conditions he endured, and the only way that he could preserver through the war was to cherish and hold on to anything he could get his hands on. Although the war made Vladek stronger and more respectable, it was slowly destroying Anja’s life. Anja was not as strong as Vladek, and so her post-war experience was a dark and depressing one. Anja fell victim to depression and was in a world of confusion, which eventually lead to her death. Anja committed suicide because she could not handle the stress of the war, the overflowing drama and paranoia.