Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:11:14 am

Author Topic: Psychology?  (Read 2411 times)  Share 

Gokul22

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Psychology?
« on: January 17, 2021, 12:06:42 am »
Hi viewer,
I am currently in year 12 (2021) and after getting a small headstart on Psychology 3&4, I have found a lot of interest in anything to do with the brain (also from 1&2 psych), particularly learning about its different functions from different parts and about the neurons and neurotransmitters and neurohormones. What are careers that look into this and how can get into them by uni transfer and things like that because those courses usually require a really high atar which I know I won’t be able to get. I was looking at doing neuropsychology. What are the relevant courses for that at Monash, Melbourne or RMIT and are there alternative pathways to being a neuropsychologist. I think I’ll be able to get a 85+ atar but it’s unrealistic to say I’ll get a 95+ atar. Also will I have to do UCAT
2020 - Methods, Media
2021 - English, Chemistry, Psychology, Further
2022 - Engineering (honours)/Commerce @ Monash Uni

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
Re: Psychology?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 10:12:59 pm »
+3
Hi Gokul22!

I don't know enough to answer all parts of your question, but I'll try answer the parts I can.
-At Monash university, the "ideal" pathway to becoming a psychologist is through 'bachelor of psychology', however, it is possible to do an accredited major in psychology through B. arts or B. science for 3 years, and then get into the honours year of psych for 4th year.
pathways @monash
-AT Monash you are able to transfer courses generally if you have a high enough WAM (70+ish), but depends on number of places available.
-UCAT is not necessary for psych
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +86
Re: Psychology?
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 05:53:31 am »
+3
-At Monash university, the "ideal" pathway to becoming a psychologist is through 'bachelor of psychology', however, it is possible to do an accredited major in psychology through B. arts or B. science for 3 years, and then get into the honours year of psych for 4th year.

Just on this, at Monash the BPsych comes with the benefit of a fixed and reduced score requirement to get into fourth (honours) year (think it was 70 in third year units?). BA/BSci students require a higher score (closer to 80) and involves a competitive application process. The BPsych also has a variety of other compulsory units outside of psychology (e.g., biology, public health...) and has fewer elective slots (only 5).

I was looking at doing neuropsychology. What are the relevant courses for that at Monash, Melbourne or RMIT and are there alternative pathways to being a neuropsychologist.

Most universities will offer an accredited 3 year psych major to take in their BA/BSci courses if there isn't a dedicated BPsych course. You can apply to any university that offers a psychology honours year.

To become a neuropsychologist after honours, you would do a clinical Masters/PhD in clinical neuropsychology (as opposed to clinical psychology). The alternative (which most people tend not to take) is doing a non-clinical 1 year Masters and sourcing a 1 year internship. Otherwise, if you're interested in neuropsychology as a field of research but not clinical practice, research only Masters/PhDs are the way to go.
2017~2020 (Monash) | BA, BA(Hons)Psy
2021~ | job! - AN hiatus, it's been fun here (: