QCE Stuff > Queensland Technical Score Discussion

How do I get an ATAR of 99+? Some study advice and Tips?

(1/3) > >>

Twisty314:
Morning/Afternoon all!

This is probably one of the most popular questions here on ATARNotes, but I think it is worth asking again due to Queensland and our syllabus being shuffled. How can I get an ATAR above 99? I know its a strange thing to ask, because, hey, nobody in QLD has done it yet! But, if any of you know any tips or words of wisdom, please impart them onto to us!

I'm absolutely desperate to get a 99 or above, so even if you are uncertain about something you've heard, don't be afraid to share it anyway.
Thanks everyone, and good luck with QCE!  :)

Lear:
I can only give you general tips as I did VCE, not QCE.

- Stay ahead of your class for a few reasons. Firstly, you will eventually burn out and being ahead means you won’t be affected big time. Secondly, staying ahead means you can prepare for assessments weeks before which will obviously increase your performance. Lastly this means you can start preparations for exams much earlier

- Be organised. I know this is quite obvious but it is so so important. For example, I would use a checklist of things that I need to do everyday and used my calendar religiously. Super important to stay on top of things.

- do things outside of school work. This sounds counterintuitive but believe me it is really important. To do well you need a healthy brain and hugging your books 24/7 will not help you have a healthy brain. Eat well, exercise and relax time to time.

- Work with others. Learning and teaching others is SO useful. I can’t emphasise this enough. I would genuinely hold revision sessions for all my friends where I helped them revise. Sure I did help them too but honestly this consolidated my own learning A LOT. Also for subjects like English I found teamwork to be the best way to explore ideas and themes. Year 12 is indeed a competition somewhat but teamwork should not be overlooked.

Twisty314:

--- Quote ---I can only give you general tips as I did VCE, not QCE.

- Stay ahead of your class for a few reasons. Firstly, you will eventually burn out and being ahead means you won’t be affected big time. Secondly, staying ahead means you can prepare for assessments weeks before which will obviously increase your performance. Lastly this means you can start preparations for exams much earlier

- Be organised. I know this is quite obvious but it is so so important. For example, I would use a checklist of things that I need to do everyday and used my calendar religiously. Super important to stay on top of things.

- do things outside of school work. This sounds counterintuitive but believe me it is really important. To do well you need a healthy brain and hugging your books 24/7 will not help you have a healthy brain. Eat well, exercise and relax time to time.

- Work with others. Learning and teaching others is SO useful. I can’t emphasise this enough. I would genuinely hold revision sessions for all my friends where I helped them revise. Sure I did help them too but honestly this consolidated my own learning A LOT. Also for subjects like English I found teamwork to be the best way to explore ideas and themes. Year 12 is indeed a competition somewhat but teamwork should not be overlooked.
--- End quote ---

Awesome Lear, thanks!

I am often ahead of my class in maths and science and english because I really enjoy studying these subjects. One question, how do you stay ahead, as in what did you do? Study over holidays, or get tutoring?

Yes, agreed! Organisation is key.

Having hobbies is a great way to de-stress, but I'm personally struggling to find a hobby  :-[ . Basically school is my hobby at the moment, but I know I should have another non-school related activity.

Definitely! Working with others, as you say, may help them which is all good and fine, but it actually reinforces your knowledge on a tough topic too! But as I go to a school that is very small (there's about 15 kids in my year - not class - whole year level!!) I'm like the only one who actually wants to get a 99+ and thus, nobody is really motivated to do study sessions with each other. Do you have any suggestions or ways I can still work with others?

Thanks so much Lear!

Lear:

--- Quote from: Twisty314 on January 21, 2019, 08:23:59 pm ---Awesome Lear, thanks!

I am often ahead of my class in maths and science and english because I really enjoy studying these subjects. One question, how do you stay ahead, as in what did you do? Study over holidays, or get tutoring?

Yes, agreed! Organisation is key.

Having hobbies is a great way to de-stress, but I'm personally struggling to find a hobby  :-[ . Basically school is my hobby at the moment, but I know I should have another non-school related activity.

Definitely! Working with others, as you say, may help them which is all good and fine, but it actually reinforces your knowledge on a tough topic too! But as I go to a school that is very small (there's about 15 kids in my year - not class - whole year level!!) I'm like the only one who actually wants to get a 99+ and thus, nobody is really motivated to do study sessions with each other. Do you have any suggestions or ways I can still work with others?

Thanks so much Lear!

--- End quote ---

Personally I finished half of the content that I needed for that year in the holidays for all my subjects except further and legal. This built a great foundation from me and I kept chipping away at the content as the year went on. I also had a tutor for Methods but honestly I was ahead of that too. It was only of use as extra practice.

Definitely find another activity. School is not a hobby :D I'd recommend anything from a sport to volunteering in the community.

You don't need to work with genius kids or even kids aiming for a high ATAR. Even people who don't pay as much attention to their studies can offer great ideas and perspectives. While i don't have experience in your position, i'd recommend actually kindling your fellow student's interest in their studies. Believe it or not holding revision sessions for them also will benefit you a great amount. Plus you help others in terms of their education!

angewina_naguen:
Hey, Twisty314!

Lear's advice aligns with mine  :) I did the HSC instead but I agree with the points raised in this thread. I wanted to suggest assigning "non-negotiables", as I called them during Year 12, for your week so you can pace yourself with tasks that you want to keep at the forefront of your priorities. These are mainly for assessments and homework. This helped with keeping me motivated especially when I had multiple essays to write and allowed me to work the rest of my study schedule around it. I ended up finding myself actually moving ahead with content once I completed my non-negotiables for the week and powering through more work over time.

As for a hobby, I would also recommend just going to the movies or hanging out with your friends. This can at the very least get you out of the house and give you complete down time before, during and/or after periods of stress. You can regulate how much down time you want but I definitely would recommend spending some time away from the desk to treat yourself  8)

Along with Lear's suggestion to invest in the studies of students with a diverse range of abilities, also consider using this forum  ;D The community on here is really friendly and willing to help you out wherever we can. You can submit work for feedback, discuss content or even just to ask advice and check in here and there. Hope this helps and good luck with your endeavours!

Angelina  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version