Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 01:08:00 am

Author Topic: Oh no!! B. Science major/minor question  (Read 2543 times)  Share 

dekoyl

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +18
Oh no!! B. Science major/minor question
« on: November 27, 2009, 11:14:28 pm »
Gah. I think I've come across a problem in my course.
My top preference is B.Science/B.CompSci at Monash. (http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/handbooks/courses/3517.html)
For the science part of the course, it says I need to minor in maths and major in a science area of study. Can I major in maths as well?
I picked a double degree as I wanted to complement computer science with more maths. I pretty much have no desire to do any other areas of science.

Looking at this:
(b.) 96 points of science units including:

* MTH1112 Numbers, logic and graphs or STA1010 Statistical methods for science (6 points)
    * SCI2010* The practice and application of science (6 points)
    * a major sequence in a science area of study (48 points)
    * a minor sequence in mathematics (24 points)
    * science elective units to complete a total of 96 points

Note: Within the Science component students must complete a minimum of four level-three science units (24 points), and a maximum of six level-one science units (36 points) can be taken overall.
I'm not sure if I can fill all 96 points with maths only.

And, as I want to do IBL, I don't want to let the subjects I have no motivation to do pull me down. =\

zzdfa

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
Re: Oh no!! B. Science major/minor question
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 11:20:13 pm »
Sure you can major+minor in maths as well,  and you can always do self study units for credit if you run out of units you want to take.

like, 'science elective units' means 'any science units' not 'non maths units'
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 11:22:13 pm by zzdfa »

dekoyl

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 11:34:50 pm »
Oh okay. What are "self study units" you speak of? Does that mean I can always stick to a type of maths of some form?

zzdfa

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 11:43:09 pm »
if you run out of interesting stuff to take here:
http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/handbooks/aos/sci-ug-mathematics.html
then you can take
mth1000, mth2000 or mth3000. They're called 'research projects' but I think they're usually used as independent reading units (since the selection of maths units at monash is quite poor). You choose a topic, find a supervisor, borrow some books, and study the topic over the semester.

dekoyl

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 11:43:30 pm »
That sounds very awesome. Thanks for showing me that :D

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 11:48:59 pm »
Psssh, you really just ought to do this and not worry about splitting your interests up into two degrees :P
VCE 2006
PhB (Hons) (Sc), ANU, 2007-2010
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012
PhD, Princeton, 2012-2017
Research Associate, University College London, 2017-2020
Assistant Professor, University of Virginia, 2020-

Feel free to ask me about (advanced) mathematics.

dekoyl

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 11:52:32 pm »
"elite four-year...program" I don't think I'm elite enough, humph :P

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 11:58:23 pm »
You "only" need to get 98, it's not that bad :P And a 75 average isn't that hard to keep.
VCE 2006
PhB (Hons) (Sc), ANU, 2007-2010
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012
PhD, Princeton, 2012-2017
Research Associate, University College London, 2017-2020
Assistant Professor, University of Virginia, 2020-

Feel free to ask me about (advanced) mathematics.

TrueLight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 12:28:53 am »
you can probably do major in science and major in maths

cause in straight science you can do mathematics and computer science..

with mine u have to do major and minor but u can also do 2 majors and no minors

go ask the science faculty
http://www.campaignforliberty.com

Completed Bachelor of Science. Majored in Immunology and Microbiology.

“Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past.”
George Orwell, 1984.

"Terrorism is the best political weapon for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
Adolf Hitler

“The bigger the lie, the more inclined people will be to believe it”
Adolf Hitler

"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just

periwinkle

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 02:27:59 am »
 My sister is finding Physics too esoteric. Heaven knows what she'd think of Pure Maths ;)

QuantumJG

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Applied Mathematics Student at UoM
  • Respect: +82
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 11:41:26 am »
You "only" need to get 98, it's not that bad :P And a 75 average isn't that hard to keep.

wtf "only an ENTER of 98"!

My sister is finding Physics too esoteric. Heaven knows what she'd think of Pure Maths ;)

Pure maths probably becomes more abstract than physics (unless you do theoretical physics - please don't hurt me pure mathematicians). If your sister is finding physics too esoteric, then, she'll find pure maths is definately too esoteric.

This reminds me of going to a lecture on what areas of maths you can focus on with your maths major. Anyway the first off was an applied maths student who was showing a model for grainular materials and how it showed the grainular structure broke in half, then there was a discrete and operations research maths student who's maths area was on optimal routes to deliver something, the statistics and stochastic processes maths student was discussing their project which was investigating penguin populations in Victoria and then finally the pure mathematician comes up and is the most egotistical person there. Basically he was discussing all these cool and abstract things you look at in pure maths.

2008: Finished VCE

2009 - 2011: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Physics)

2012 - 2014: Master of Science (Applied Mathematics/Mathematical Physics)

2016 - 2018: Master of Engineering (Civil)

Semester 1:[/b] Engineering Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics, Engineering Risk Analysis, Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering

Semester 2:[/b] Earth Processes for Engineering, Engineering Materials, Structural Theory and Design, Systems Modelling and Design

periwinkle

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 11:04:19 am »

wtf "only an ENTER of 98"!

Pure maths probably becomes more abstract than physics (unless you do theoretical physics - please don't hurt me pure mathematicians). If your sister is finding physics too esoteric, then, she'll find pure maths is definately too esoteric.

This reminds me of going to a lecture on what areas of maths you can focus on with your maths major. Anyway the first off was an applied maths student who was showing a model for grainular materials and how it showed the grainular structure broke in half, then there was a discrete and operations research maths student who's maths area was on optimal routes to deliver something, the statistics and stochastic processes maths student was discussing their project which was investigating penguin populations in Victoria and then finally the pure mathematician comes up and is the most egotistical person there. Basically he was discussing all these cool and abstract things you look at in pure maths.

You don't say :o