Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:20:31 am

Author Topic: Study Routines Suggestions  (Read 3561 times)  Share 

joey.jiayi

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Study Routines Suggestions
« on: January 28, 2019, 09:50:55 pm »
Hi guys,

I'm just wondering what are your study routines? I don't really have a study routine, I usually just study whenever I want to or don't study whenever I do not want to. I feel like adapting to an actual study routine this year, any suggestions from experiences? Also, I do like 12 hours of outside of school activities per week which takes up a lot of my time after school. I'm trying to sleep before 11pm but with the amount of workload, I usually sleep at like 12am or later, which I think is bad :( especially entering VCE.
Overall, here are my questions.
1. What are your study routines?
2. Do you guys wake up early to study or stay up late to study? (because I heard that our brain apparently works better in the morning, so I'm thinking if I should sleep at 10pm and wake up at 4:30am to study)
3. What time do you usually sleep and wake up? (I hope this is not creepy at all)
4. Any other suggestions?

Thank you.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 09:56:03 pm by joey.jiayi »

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
Re: Study Routines Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 10:41:45 pm »
+4
Hi guys,

I'm just wondering what are your study routines? I don't really have a study routine, I usually just study whenever I want to or don't study whenever I do not want to. I feel like adapting to an actual study routine this year, any suggestions from experiences? Also, I do like 12 hours of outside of school activities per week which takes up a lot of my time after school. I'm trying to sleep before 11pm but with the amount of workload, I usually sleep at like 12am or later, which I think is bad :( especially entering VCE.
Overall, here are my questions.
2. Do you guys wake up early to study or stay up late to study? (because I heard that our brain apparently works better in the morning, so I'm thinking if I should sleep at 10pm and wake up at 4:30am to study)
3. What time do you usually sleep and wake up? (I hope this is not creepy at all)
4. Any other recommendations?

Thank you.

Hey joey.jiayi and welcome to the forums! :)

I'll have a go at answering some of your questions below:

What are your study routines? What time do you usually sleep and wake up?
I try to do my homework/study as soon as I come from school or at school unless I have an extracurricular activity in order to avoid putting it off. When I know an activity will take up a lot of my after school time, I will wake up a bit earlier (around 6) on that day to do some work. I'll make a list of what I need to do (homework from the day and/or SAC prep) and work through it. I generally stop studying for the day before dinner and allow myself to relax before going to bed around 10.

Do you guys wake up early to study or stay up late to study? (because I heard that our brain apparently works better in the morning, so I'm thinking if I should sleep at 10pm and wake up at 4:30am to study)
This really depends on what you prefer. When studying at night you may feel tired, whereas in the morning you've come from a cycle of sleep, so you may feel more alert. I'd recommend you do a bit of both if it works for you - study a little in the evening and study a little in the morning. Whatever you decide to do, try to get enough sleep every night because it's pretty important!

Any other recommendations?
 - Make study part of your daily routine so that it becomes habitual.
 - Create realistic goals to help you stay motivated. Remind yourself of them often.
 - Find a distraction free place to do your study in order to concentrate better.
 - Write to-do lists with manageable tasks on them.
 - Be careful to not do too much too soon. Take breaks often because we can't sit at our desks and focus forever.
 - Find a study timetable, plot in your sleep, school, study and activities so you know when you can fit in some study.
 - Test yourself often. Practice exams, flashcards and mindmaps are great tools for this.
 - Ask for / find help when you need it whether it's for a subject or a bout of the blues.
 - Take care of yourself. Sleep, eat, and exercise well. Your health is ultimately more important than school and study.

Good luck! :)

2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 11:04:41 pm »
+5
Do you guys wake up early to study or stay up late to study? (because I heard that our brain apparently works better in the morning, so I'm thinking if I should sleep at 10pm and wake up at 4:30am to study)

I tried this for a few weeks and it didn't really work out well for me. I guess it depends on each individual. Don't feel like that's the only way you can study  effectively. Definitely try it out but if you feel it isn't working, i'd recommend sticking with the normal habit.

What time do you usually sleep and wake up?
I just wanted to say here that consistency is very important. You are better off getting 6 hours of consistent sleep rather than sometimes 8, sometimes 9, sometimes 7 etc.
Personally in year 12 I made sure that I slept at 11 and woke up at 7 consistently no matter what. This consistency means your body gets a chance to adapt and in turn you will find that you will wake up most of the time absolutely fresh and ready to go. Whereas if you constantly change your sleep times you will find that you often wake up groggy. This is all due to our sleep cycle.
In fact, after a month  or so I found myself often waking a few minutes before my alarm went off  automatically. Like I said before, you body is amazing at adapting to your needs. You just need to be consistent :)
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

joey.jiayi

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 11:05:59 am »
+1
Hey joey.jiayi and welcome to the forums! :)

I'll have a go at answering some of your questions below:

What are your study routines? What time do you usually sleep and wake up?
I try to do my homework/study as soon as I come from school or at school unless I have an extracurricular activity in order to avoid putting it off. When I know an activity will take up a lot of my after school time, I will wake up a bit earlier (around 6) on that day to do some work. I'll make a list of what I need to do (homework from the day and/or SAC prep) and work through it. I generally stop studying for the day before dinner and allow myself to relax before going to bed around 10.

This really depends on what you prefer. When studying at night you may feel tired, whereas in the morning you've come from a cycle of sleep, so you may feel more alert. I'd recommend you do a bit of both if it works for you - study a little in the evening and study a little in the morning. Whatever you decide to do, try to get enough sleep every night because it's pretty important!

Any other recommendations?
 - Make study part of your daily routine so that it becomes habitual.
 - Create realistic goals to help you stay motivated. Remind yourself of them often.
 - Find a distraction free place to do your study in order to concentrate better.
 - Write to-do lists with manageable tasks on them.
 - Be careful to not do too much too soon. Take breaks often because we can't sit at our desks and focus forever.
 - Find a study timetable, plot in your sleep, school, study and activities so you know when you can fit in some study.
 - Test yourself often. Practice exams, flashcards and mindmaps are great tools for this.
 - Ask for / find help when you need it whether it's for a subject or a bout of the blues.
 - Take care of yourself. Sleep, eat, and exercise well. Your health is ultimately more important than school and study.

Good luck! :)

Thank you! I'll have a go and try out these study routine and schedule! Will keep you updated after a month on how I think it went (If i remember heh) :)

I tried this for a few weeks and it didn't really work out well for me. I guess it depends on each individual. Don't feel like that's the only way you can study  effectively. Definitely try it out but if you feel it isn't working, i'd recommend sticking with the normal habit.

What time do you usually sleep and wake up?
I just wanted to say here that consistency is very important. You are better off getting 6 hours of consistent sleep rather than sometimes 8, sometimes 9, sometimes 7 etc.
Personally in year 12 I made sure that I slept at 11 and woke up at 7 consistently no matter what. This consistency means your body gets a chance to adapt and in turn you will find that you will wake up most of the time absolutely fresh and ready to go. Whereas if you constantly change your sleep times you will find that you often wake up groggy. This is all due to our sleep cycle.
In fact, after a month  or so I found myself often waking a few minutes before my alarm went off  automatically. Like I said before, you body is amazing at adapting to your needs. You just need to be consistent :)

Thank you! I'll try my best to be consistent with my hours of sleep as I think that's one of my main problems, hopefully it will help out lots! :)

mod edit: merged posts
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 11:44:48 pm by insanipi »

galaxy21

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 11:52:23 am »
+4
On school days, I will wake up early to study before school (usually around 1.5h) and to get my head around what is happening for the day (e.g. checking emails, looking at what subjects I'm doing, etc.). After school, I will usually grab something to eat and watch TV for about 1/2 an hour (although I want to do something healthier like taking a walk this year) and do homework until dinner time (although I must admit I'm least productive at this time), and then after dinner do a little more until around 8, after which I can wind down to go to bed.

I had always just studied after school my whole life (occasionally waking up early if I had forgotten to finish something) but around mid year last year I decided to try waking up at around 5:30 to do some studying before school and I think I can honestly say it was a really good choice and I would definitely recommend it. I'm not sure about your house, but I find that at this time, it's generally quiet, especially for the first 30 minutes or so, so I can really get into it and concentrate. Plus, you can come home from school and know you've already finished a bit of work for the day. Also, it helps to break up studying so it's not all in one big block. You don't necessarily have to wake up at 4:30 or any time crazy early, but try to maybe ease into it by waking up 15 minutes earlier each morning if you'd like to give it a go?
Also make sure you get a good amount of sleep - if you're going to be waking up at 4:30, I'd suggest going to bed at around 8:30ish  so you get 8 hours of sleep each night, and don't let yourself work past a certain time at night so you have a chance to wind down and relax. Remember, as much as passing a sac is important, you have to prioritise your health (plus it'll help with your performance if you get good sleep)

I will generally try to go to bed at around 9-9:30 and I wake up at 5:30 on school days.
Remember to try and keep the same bedtimes throughout the week and year, as it's going to help you get better quality sleep.

Like I said earlier, your health needs to be a priority when it comes to studying and that means getting good levels of exercise and sleep to help sustain you through VCE (and of course life). Don't let yourself keep studying past when you want to go to bed and into the night and then wake up super early to do more - you need balance.

Best of luck with all of your studies and happy sleeping! ;D
2018 - Biology, Further
2019 - English, Chemistry, Methods, Health and Human Development
2020 - Bachelor of Science (Melbourne Uni)

hums_student

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +520
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 01:26:44 pm »
+4
Welcome to AN Joey :) I relate to the “12 hours of outside school activities” – I had about the same in year 12, all of which were after school and on weekends. Anyway here’s my take at your questions -

What I did was to make a to-do list every Sunday evening of tasks I need to do the following week – small ones, like “Lit: 1 essay, timed” or “Chem: 2 pages of chapter review Qs”. I’d work through it during the week, and if there’s any items left over, I would use my spare time on weekends to work on what’s left. This ensures that I’m not leaving anything more than a week overdue and also motivates me to do everything before Friday, so I can use my weekends to chill and work on other activities.

2. Do you guys wake up early to study or stay up late to study?
I’m a night-owl through and through but I always woke up early to study – not because that’s when my brain functions best but because I have too many afterschool activities. 4:30 seems a bit too early IMO but it depends on the person. If you’re not tiring yourself out and is still able to get enough hours of sleep, then why not?

3. What time do you usually sleep and wake up?
On weekdays I woke up at 6am, which leaves me an hour to study. That said, I wouldn’t recommend doing any homework in the morning – I usually use that hour to read over sample essays, try to commit some good phrases to memory, memorise history dates, or go over chem/methods mistakes that I made the previous day. I find going over mistakes you’ve made before in the morning really helps, because you’re more likely to remember exactly what made you stumble and is less likely to avoid such mistakes in the future.
I didn’t stick to a consistent time of when to sleep (varies between 11pm and 2am) and I full on regret it now.

Remember to have a healthy balance between study and other activities. I know 12 hours of activities seems quite overwhelming in year 12, and when I was in year 12 I was definitely overwhelmed by it, which led me to quit a couple after term one. Looking back I wish I didn’t, instead I wish I had organised my schedule so that all these activities offered good mental breaks from study, instead of something that caused more stress. With your 12 hours of extracurriculars, I would suggest that you space them out evenly throughout the week, if you can – that way you’re less likely to burn out from constant studying.

Good luck.
2019-21: Bachelor of Arts (Politics & Int'l Relations / Economics)

Jigsaw

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +97
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 01:43:52 pm »
+4

The key to any study routine is to be consistent. For me, I'd get home around from school at around 4:10pm if I had no extracurricular engagements. I'd spend 30-40 minutes chilling/grabbing a snack and I'd keep an eye on the time until it hit around 4:45ish. From this point, I'd study until around dinner time (generally around 6:30pm in my household), and then aim to continue to around 10:00pm (or until I was satisfied I'd done enough). That's not to say I never procrastinated or used my time extremely efficiently (Netflix I'm looking at you), but since I had been doing this routine since around year 10, it was pretty easy to stick to. Friday night was my only exception; I'd do no study at all. This was extremely important to me as it meant that I could do things that I enjoyed and take a much needed break from VCE in general. Weekends were pretty much always the same; Sport on a Saturday/chill in the afternoons, start studying around 3:30ish until around 9:00pm and then relax for the night (unless I had a social event; I'd start studying a little earlier finish up before dinner). Sunday was always a full on day in terms of finishing homework due the next day, but I was already well used to this!

I had to get up at 6:30am for school so waking up early to study was never really an option for me. At the same time, whilst I did have some late nights, I never really studied past 11:00pm. I am a night owl in general so working in the evenings favoured me best. Do what works well for you!

I'd get up at 6:30am for school (ikr urgh) and aim to be in bed by 10:30pm (school-days).

Whatever routine you try to develop, just make sure you are doing so consistently. You may find it difficult to get into a rhythm straight away, but over-time it'll become a lot easier, and you'll find you've developed a good study routine! As others have said, make sure you find a balance, too! The above routines only applied when I had no other commitments; (sporting, part-time job etc), so don't feel like you constantly need to be studying all the time to be making good use of your time. Have a life too! Good luck :)

« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 01:49:00 pm by Jigsaw »
2017: | Business Management [47] |
2018: | Legal Studies [50] (Premier's) | English [48] | Accounting [41] | Japanese SL [38] | Maths Methods [32] |

ATAR: 99.40 2019 Onwards: Laws (Hons)/Arts @ Monash

joey.jiayi

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 02:59:25 pm »
+1
On school days, I will wake up early to study before school (usually around 1.5h) and to get my head around what is happening for the day (e.g. checking emails, looking at what subjects I'm doing, etc.). After school, I will usually grab something to eat and watch TV for about 1/2 an hour (although I want to do something healthier like taking a walk this year) and do homework until dinner time (although I must admit I'm least productive at this time), and then after dinner do a little more until around 8, after which I can wind down to go to bed.

I had always just studied after school my whole life (occasionally waking up early if I had forgotten to finish something) but around mid year last year I decided to try waking up at around 5:30 to do some studying before school and I think I can honestly say it was a really good choice and I would definitely recommend it. I'm not sure about your house, but I find that at this time, it's generally quiet, especially for the first 30 minutes or so, so I can really get into it and concentrate. Plus, you can come home from school and know you've already finished a bit of work for the day. Also, it helps to break up studying so it's not all in one big block. You don't necessarily have to wake up at 4:30 or any time crazy early, but try to maybe ease into it by waking up 15 minutes earlier each morning if you'd like to give it a go?
Also make sure you get a good amount of sleep - if you're going to be waking up at 4:30, I'd suggest going to bed at around 8:30ish  so you get 8 hours of sleep each night, and don't let yourself work past a certain time at night so you have a chance to wind down and relax. Remember, as much as passing a sac is important, you have to prioritise your health (plus it'll help with your performance if you get good sleep)

I will generally try to go to bed at around 9-9:30 and I wake up at 5:30 on school days.
Remember to try and keep the same bedtimes throughout the week and year, as it's going to help you get better quality sleep.

Like I said earlier, your health needs to be a priority when it comes to studying and that means getting good levels of exercise and sleep to help sustain you through VCE (and of course life). Don't let yourself keep studying past when you want to go to bed and into the night and then wake up super early to do more - you need balance.

Best of luck with all of your studies and happy sleeping! ;D

Thank you! I'll try out sleeping at 10 and waking up at 5:30, it will definitely take time to get use to but I'll try my best hehe  :D

Welcome to AN Joey :) I relate to the “12 hours of outside school activities” – I had about the same in year 12, all of which were after school and on weekends. Anyway here’s my take at your questions -

What I did was to make a to-do list every Sunday evening of tasks I need to do the following week – small ones, like “Lit: 1 essay, timed” or “Chem: 2 pages of chapter review Qs”. I’d work through it during the week, and if there’s any items left over, I would use my spare time on weekends to work on what’s left. This ensures that I’m not leaving anything more than a week overdue and also motivates me to do everything before Friday, so I can use my weekends to chill and work on other activities.

I’m a night-owl through and through but I always woke up early to study – not because that’s when my brain functions best but because I have too many afterschool activities. 4:30 seems a bit too early IMO but it depends on the person. If you’re not tiring yourself out and is still able to get enough hours of sleep, then why not?

On weekdays I woke up at 6am, which leaves me an hour to study. That said, I wouldn’t recommend doing any homework in the morning – I usually use that hour to read over sample essays, try to commit some good phrases to memory, memorise history dates, or go over chem/methods mistakes that I made the previous day. I find going over mistakes you’ve made before in the morning really helps, because you’re more likely to remember exactly what made you stumble and is less likely to avoid such mistakes in the future.
I didn’t stick to a consistent time of when to sleep (varies between 11pm and 2am) and I full on regret it now.

Remember to have a healthy balance between study and other activities. I know 12 hours of activities seems quite overwhelming in year 12, and when I was in year 12 I was definitely overwhelmed by it, which led me to quit a couple after term one. Looking back I wish I didn’t, instead I wish I had organised my schedule so that all these activities offered good mental breaks from study, instead of something that caused more stress. With your 12 hours of extracurriculars, I would suggest that you space them out evenly throughout the week, if you can – that way you’re less likely to burn out from constant studying.

Good luck.

Thank you! I think your suggestion on doing homework in the evening/night and studying in the morning will definitely help me. This is because I was thinking "what if I do my homework in the morning and don't finish my homework before school starts" but you helped me solve this problem I had :D

The key to any study routine is to be consistent. For me, I'd get home around from school at around 4:10pm if I had no extracurricular engagements. I'd spend 30-40 minutes chilling/grabbing a snack and I'd keep an eye on the time until it hit around 4:45ish. From this point, I'd study until around dinner time (generally around 6:30pm in my household), and then aim to continue to around 10:00pm (or until I was satisfied I'd done enough). That's not to say I never procrastinated or used my time extremely efficiently (Netflix I'm looking at you), but since I had been doing this routine since around year 10, it was pretty easy to stick to. Friday night was my only exception; I'd do no study at all. This was extremely important to me as it meant that I could do things that I enjoyed and take a much needed break from VCE in general. Weekends were pretty much always the same; Sport on a Saturday/chill in the afternoons, start studying around 3:30ish until around 9:00pm and then relax for the night (unless I had a social event; I'd start studying a little earlier finish up before dinner). Sunday was always a full on day in terms of finishing homework due the next day, but I was already well used to this!

I had to get up at 6:30am for school so waking up early to study was never really an option for me. At the same time, whilst I did have some late nights, I never really studied past 11:00pm. I am a night owl in general so working in the evenings favoured me best. Do what works well for you!

I'd get up at 6:30am for school (ikr urgh) and aim to be in bed by 10:30pm (school-days).

Whatever routine you try to develop, just make sure you are doing so consistently. You may find it difficult to get into a rhythm straight away, but over-time it'll become a lot easier, and you'll find you've developed a good study routine! As others have said, make sure you find a balance, too! The above routines only applied when I had no other commitments; (sporting, part-time job etc), so don't feel like you constantly need to be studying all the time to be making good use of your time. Have a life too! Good luck :)

Thank you! I'll keep your suggestions in mind and try to make sure I'm doing a routine consistently because I'm very sure that I haven't been consistent for the past few years.

mod edit: merged posts :)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 11:43:44 pm by insanipi »

MasterSleepy

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 03:28:44 pm »
Thanks, I will think about that...  ;)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 03:50:34 pm »
+3

Don't really have a strict routine - will do "to-do lists" rather than study timetables and just try to fit stuff around extra curriculars
Stay up late but this will depend on the individual.
Varies
-Get into your study habits early in the year
-Take days off if you fell overworked
-Have some sort of recreation or hobby (other than school)
-Be aware of procrastiation
-Don't confuse studying for long periods of time with effective study

joey.jiayi

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 11:07:08 am »
Don't really have a strict routine - will do "to-do lists" rather than study timetables and just try to fit stuff around extra curriculars
Stay up late but this will depend on the individual.
Varies
-Get into your study habits early in the year
-Take days off if you fell overworked
-Have some sort of recreation or hobby (other than school)
-Be aware of procrastiation
-Don't confuse studying for long periods of time with effective study

Thank you, I will definitely keep that in mind!

smamsmo22

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2019, 01:02:07 am »
1. Last year, I'd study for a few hours every day after school at school (or until I had after school activities). I found the environment was a lot less distracting than at home and I'd tend to put work off if I didn't start as soon as possible. After dinner, I'd usually stop study for the night, unless I had something important to study or had sport beforehand. The latest I did work was probably ~10pm but that was pretty rare; I was usually finished for the night by 7.
2. I rarely stayed up late and a few times I tried to get in 30-60 mins of study before school if I had a SAC or something important to finish. I found that I was quite productive in the morning and was generally more patient and motivated at this time compared to late at night but I think this is a really individual thing. You could try early mornings out and see how your focus is at this time.
3. Usually I'd sleep around 10:30 til 7. I definitely tried to be going to bed and waking up at similar times every day.
4. - Be productive in class, especially if you're struggling with the workload and fitting it around other commitments at home. Making the most of class time can really make a difference !!
- See if there are times of the day you can fit study in (ie; on the bus, walking home, in the car etc). Even if you can't really get out your books and write, listening to podcasts or going through flashcards can be super helpful in preparation for SACs and learning theory.
- Make sure you go into study with a clear and realistic plan of what you have to do to prevent procrastinating (:

Best of luck!
2018 - VCE - ATAR: 99.75 [English, Chemistry, Methods, French, PE, Bio]
2019 - Monash

joey.jiayi

• Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2019, 06:42:22 pm »
+1
Update on how my study routine is going!
It's March now and I've sort of figured out what works and what does not work for me, however, I still got lots of thinking to find the best routine for me.

Firstly, waking up earlier in the morning to do some productive work didn't really worked out for me because I'm always stress that I will never finish my homework on time.
On days I have extracurricular activities (Mon-Thurs), I'll stay back at school for an hour or even just 30 minutes (need to consider travel time to activity place) to get a bit of work done. After school activities (8pm), I go home and complete all the left over homework, sleeping around 11pm (I wake up at 6am). In terms of 'studying', I do them in the morning when I'm in the train or tram (about 40 minutes ride). Therefore, I'll leave the house earlier to study in the train or tram because there will be seats available. Also, I get as much homework done as I can during recess and lunchtime. Honestly, I know having a balance life is important but with the current workload, my extracurricular activities are consider my break time ish and my exercise for the week.

A tip that I got for others and helped me a lot is FOREST APP! Had to pay for the app, however, I think it's worth it! It stops me from going on my phone and procrastinating + I planted a real tree! So there's literally no cons to that app (in my opinion)

Anyways, I hope everyone is going well for the term, I know I've let myself down in some tests but I will continue to strive for the best routine for myself so I can stay ahead in class (right now I'm a bit (quite a bit) behind :( )