Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 08:40:09 pm

Poll

Should more HSC final subjects go digital?

Yes
No

Author Topic: 'Keeping up with the times': HSC moves online  (Read 831 times)  Share 

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
'Keeping up with the times': HSC moves online
« on: October 14, 2018, 04:10:41 pm »
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/keeping-up-with-the-times-hsc-moves-online-20180823-p4zzct.html

The students will use a laptop or computer with a locked internet connection. They will be able to look at their own research project, listen and view audio and video and copy and paste text. They won't have access to spelling or grammar checks. Sample tests will be available from term one next year.

Given the technologies that we have, authorities can ALSO allow students to do the following:
  • - Record themselves for the speaking tests
  • - Scan diagrams
  • - Scan maths work
  • - Scan or type responses
  • - Produce Tables using a word doc or some sort of Interface

Implementation of such technology shouldn't be hard. Table Functionality... easy! Staff can just use a cheapo camera or students can connect to the school network to upload photos of responses to a question. Furthermore, students can just edit responses more easily and not make it messy for teachers/markers! 

One subject has gone online for the HSC final exams. No plans have been made for other HSC subjects, but it does beg the question. Should other HSC subjects be made to go online?

What do Y'all current HSC and prelim students think of the notion?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 04:14:56 pm by EEEEEEP »

SEasternCry

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
Re: 'Keeping up with the times': HSC moves online
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 04:46:02 pm »
What do Y'all current HSC and prelim students think of the notion?
I definitely think that this move is necessary to some extent. However, I also think that some elements should still be handwritten so that there is a duality between typing and handwriting. I mean.. I like handwriting sometimes and it helps me put my thoughts and ideas down more logically rather than typing. Since typing is too fast for my thoughts to catch up with the words im typing lol.
2017 HSC
Mathematics (Advanced): 98
2018 HSC
Mathematics Extension 1:95
Mathematics Extension 2:86
Chemistry: just a number
Physics: just a number
English (Advanced): just a number
Atar: just a number