Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:18:54 pm

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1231607 times)

alice343

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +125
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #4665 on: October 11, 2020, 08:09:35 pm »
+3
Thanks for the response, I'm pretty sure its too late to do anymore paragraphs so I gotta work on praying :'(

It's never too late! We still have a bit over a week until English!
2020 HSC: English Advanced, Modern History, Legal Studies, Japanese Beginners, Society and Culture, History Extension

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #4666 on: October 12, 2020, 01:11:58 pm »
+2
Hey guys,
Just wondering for Mod B whether NESA would specify what poems to talk about for T.S Elliot or whether we can just discuss whatever poems we want.

Thanks in Advance

Hey, gopy!

Just to add on to what alice343 has raised, I actually responded to another user a while back on why NESA has a history of specifying a poem for Module B. I've linked it here for you to have a read through  :) I am full agreement with alice343 though that you still have time to ensure that you have sufficient textual evidence to work with in the event you get specified a poem that isn't one of your stronger ones. Hopefully this is helpful and keep up the hard work!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

Mariam2002

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4667 on: October 12, 2020, 06:11:37 pm »
Hello!!

I have a question about introductions...
So we've been taught that our intro should be at least 1/2 page to 3/4 page long. We've also been told to have a two-part thesis statement: 1st part being a strongly worded statement that states your point of view/stance on the question or topic, 2nd part being a "sub-thesis" which elaborates on your thesis and defines key aspects or concepts within the question.

Are we meant to include an introduction to the prescribed text, text type, author etc within this thesis statement and elaboration?
If so, what is LEFT for us to say in this introduction? How are we meant to have a solid detailed introduction without going too much into each of our points we will make in the body?

Basically, what are the key things to include in an intro paragraph other than what is covered by the thesis statement?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4668 on: October 12, 2020, 11:43:44 pm »
+9
Hello!!

I have a question about introductions...
So we've been taught that our intro should be at least 1/2 page to 3/4 page long. We've also been told to have a two-part thesis statement: 1st part being a strongly worded statement that states your point of view/stance on the question or topic, 2nd part being a "sub-thesis" which elaborates on your thesis and defines key aspects or concepts within the question.

Are we meant to include an introduction to the prescribed text, text type, author etc within this thesis statement and elaboration?
If so, what is LEFT for us to say in this introduction? How are we meant to have a solid detailed introduction without going too much into each of our points we will make in the body?

Basically, what are the key things to include in an intro paragraph other than what is covered by the thesis statement?

Hey, Mariam2002!

Welcome to the forums  ;D Firstly, don't fret if you write less than what they've recommended to you for the introduction. I think that defining an introduction based on the length of it isn't wise because, as a surface reason, everyone has different handwriting sizes and, on a deeper level, it's always more about quality than quantity when it comes to English. It's not so much how long the introduction is but rather whether you cover all the essential points you need to in order to create a solid platform for your essay to build upon.

I also am a two-part thesis advocate because it allows you to firmly establish your judgement which will be the foundation for the rest of your essay. I think that you shouldn't introduce the prescribed text until the third sentence of the introduction because it makes more sense to me that you would raise how your text will be explored to assist you in justifying your judgement on the question and signpost your key arguments (i.e your themes) at the same time. I like for the last sentence of an introduction to highlight what exactly the purpose of the text is and how it impacts audiences that engage with it. This can really nail what your overarching goal for the essay will be without introducing any material from your actual arguments. Here's a sample introduction that I wrote for Billy Elliot which I used in the English Standard Revision lecture which might help illustrate my structure better!

Sample Introduction
To what extent does the exploration of human experience in Billy Elliot invite you to reconsider your understanding of commitment?

Motivations and behaviours, which are innately complex, can greatly impact the nature of an individual’s adherence to their beliefs, values and attitudes. Through representing these anomalies, paradoxes and inconsistencies, composers can enable us to reconsider our understanding on commitment. This notion is explored in Stephen Daldry’s film Billy Elliot (2000), whereby ideas surrounding commitment are thematically explored through the challenges that arise from passion, stereotypes and acceptance. Examining the character motivations and behaviours of the film can, in turn, encourage us to similarly reflect on how we perceive and understand commitment.

As just a separate note, the two things you shouldn't be having in your introduction are techniques (because you'll be using them later in the analysis UNLESS the question specifically asks you to evaluate how a language form or feature such as mise-en-scene or characterisation has been constructed within the text) and the words "Hence", "Therefore", "Thus" etc. (because you haven't actually proven anything yet so these connectives don't hold any meaning). Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 11:47:24 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

ghtoghto

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4669 on: October 18, 2020, 08:57:10 pm »
Hi!

I was just wondering obviously this has been answered for module B but I am studying John Donne's Holy Sonnet's for Module A. I was wondering if there is a high likelihood that a specific poem may be asked for this module?

Thank you!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4670 on: October 18, 2020, 11:16:38 pm »
+4
Hi!

I was just wondering obviously this has been answered for module B but I am studying John Donne's Holy Sonnet's for Module A. I was wondering if there is a high likelihood that a specific poem may be asked for this module?

Thank you!

Hey, ghtoghto!

I highly doubt they will specify a poem in Module A because you already have to work with a second text as part of your study (in your case, W;t) and it would just be too much of a yikes move to do that. The closest thing I've seen in the past for Module A to being specified a text is where they have provided a short extract from a specific part of a poem and asked you to explore the ideas raised within it in relation to the composer's oeuvre and the appropriation (which meant that you didn't have to necessarily use that poem but it was recommended that you made some reference to it in the response as part of your judgement, arguments and evaluation). It would be worth having maybe three quotes for each of the other poems you don't plan on using in the crazy event that you might get asked one; I believe it's always better safe than sorry. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much about preparing paragraphs or having extensive analysis on it, especially at this stage in the HSC  :)

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

HS26

• Adventurer
  • one direction is my coping mechanism for the HSC
« Reply #4671 on: October 20, 2020, 07:46:42 pm »
Hi! I'm a bit confused, for our module A (I'm doing R3 AND LFR) and Module B (TS ELIOT) essays, should we use critics quotes or stick to using quotes from the texts? Do markers have a special preference or does it show a more sophisticated understanding? I would really appreciate some insight on this, I'm getting super worried for tomorrow!!! Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 08:04:42 pm by HS26 »
:)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4672 on: October 20, 2020, 09:19:01 pm »
+1
Hi! I'm a bit confused, for our module A (I'm doing R3 AND LFR) and Module B (TS ELIOT) essays, should we use critics quotes or stick to using quotes from the texts? Do markers have a special preference or does it show a more sophisticated understanding? I would really appreciate some insight on this, I'm getting super worried for tomorrow!!! Thanks!

Hey, HS26!

I've replied to your post in the other topic you made separately here  :)

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

HS26

• Adventurer
  • one direction is my coping mechanism for the HSC
« Reply #4673 on: October 20, 2020, 09:30:16 pm »
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it
:)

Xeno

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4674 on: November 13, 2020, 12:40:51 pm »
Hi there!

I'm really stumped on how to start my thesis for this question and was wondering if I could please get some pointers.
Question: How effectively do texts reveal the paradoxical nature of human behaviour and motivation? Relate to the Crucible and one other related text.

Thanks,
Xeno

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #4675 on: November 13, 2020, 01:45:28 pm »
+2
Hi there!

I'm really stumped on how to start my thesis for this question and was wondering if I could please get some pointers.
Question: How effectively do texts reveal the paradoxical nature of human behaviour and motivation? Relate to the Crucible and one other related text.

Thanks,
Xeno

Hey Xeno!

Welcome to the forums ;D
Whilst I didn't study 'The Crucible' during the HSC, below I have written how I would approach this question:

✏When answering essay questions, I like to include a cause and effect element into the first sentence to indicate that I am engaging with the question
✏Introduce your text/s next and other information about them (make sure it is succint)
✏Add a final statement regarding the question to demonstrate that your introduction/ thesis has engaged with the question

This is how I would write it:
"The ability for texts to reveal paradoxes is generated by the analysis of humans and their motivations and behaviours. In Arthur Miller's, "The Crucible" (1952) and (INSERT related text here), this is highlighted through their (INSERT what type of voice they both write in) voice, engagement with characters and (Add something else here). It is literary techniques, form and context that illustrates(What does the text illustrate about humans and their behaviours/ motivations)." Now introduce your thematic concerns and a final statement regarding the question.

I hope this helps!
Coolmate 8)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 04:49:47 pm by Coolmate »
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

Xeno

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4676 on: November 13, 2020, 05:15:05 pm »
+1
Thank you :)

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #4677 on: November 13, 2020, 09:08:39 pm »
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

mobicman

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4678 on: March 02, 2021, 09:33:41 pm »
Hey guys,

With an integrated paragraph that includes both texts, how would you keep a sophisticated integration "flow" (like referring to both texts throughout the whole paragraph) which doesn't look like two paragraphs joined together?

Justin_L

• MOTM: July 20
  • HSC Moderator
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +235
« Reply #4679 on: March 03, 2021, 08:28:47 am »
+3
Hey guys,

With an integrated paragraph that includes both texts, how would you keep a sophisticated integration "flow" (like referring to both texts throughout the whole paragraph) which doesn't look like two paragraphs joined together?

Hi mobicman,

Welcome to the forums!

Personally, I use integrated paragraphs to draw links between texts, so if I were comparing two texts such as in HSC English Module A, I might say something like

"Text A uses this x technique to show z, linking back to topic/theme. Resonantly/dissonant, Text B uses this y technique to show z, reframing/reimagining/etc Text A's portrayal of topic/theme through...".

I generally construct my integrated paragraphs thematically, so that I can explore how two texts differ or coincide with their portrayal of a particular theme or topic and then base my essay around 2-3 themes depending on the essay question.

Let me know if this was unclear, or if you have any other questions!

Justin
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 08:39:31 am by Justin_L »
Да здравствует революция государственного модератора