Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:13:44 am

Author Topic: What scores should I be aiming for to get a 30 in Methods?  (Read 7269 times)  Share 

lyoko

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +51
  • School Grad Year: 2017
What scores should I be aiming for to get a 30 in Methods?
« on: February 11, 2017, 11:17:59 pm »
Hi guys,

I'm personally not strong in maths and would like to know what scores I should be aiming for to get 30 raw in method?
I need at least 25 to get into the uni course of my choice.

Thank-you

exit

• Forum Obsessive
  • COALESCE
  • Respect: +38
Re: What scores should I be aiming for to get a 30 in Methods?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 11:22:45 pm »
Hi guys,

I'm personally not strong in maths and would like to know what scores I should be aiming for to get 30 raw in method?
I need at least 25 to get into the uni course of my choice.

Thank-you

Methods is a very unpredictable subject as it depends on your day performance. I would be aiming for over 70% in school SACs to be safe.
VCE [ATAR: 99.25]: Physics 1/2, English 1/2, EngLang,Methods, Spesh, Accounting, Chem, German

2018-2021: Bachelor Of Commerce @ University of Melbourne
VCE English Language: A+ Short Answer Guide[pm for extra guidance!]

achre

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +72
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 12:20:20 am »
Impossible to even guess without knowing about how strong your cohort is. If you've got a pretty bright cohort, you can get a 30 with scores as low as 60% and a decent exam day performance. I was floating around the 50% mark in nearly all my SACs in VCE, but had a very strong cohort backing me and I did slightly above average on the exams. I wound up with a 33 raw. On the other hand, you might have a not-so-strong cohort, which means you'll have to distinguish yourself from your peers a bit more to hit the 30 mark - potentially you'd need SAC %s as high as the 70s/80s.

Your best course of action is to try not to spend much time working out what minimum standard of performance is required from you to meet a certain ss goal, and spend that time doing the best you can right now. Setting goals and standards for yourself or trying to work out where you are at the moment can be helpful, but it's nowhere near as helpful as actually doing work is.

lyoko

• Trendsetter
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 08:36:00 am »
Methods is a very unpredictable subject as it depends on your day performance. I would be aiming for over 70% in school SACs to be safe.

Hi Exit,

Thank-you  :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 08:40:24 am by lyoko »

lyoko

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 08:39:53 am »
Impossible to even guess without knowing about how strong your cohort is. If you've got a pretty bright cohort, you can get a 30 with scores as low as 60% and a decent exam day performance. I was floating around the 50% mark in nearly all my SACs in VCE, but had a very strong cohort backing me and I did slightly above average on the exams. I wound up with a 33 raw. On the other hand, you might have a not-so-strong cohort, which means you'll have to distinguish yourself from your peers a bit more to hit the 30 mark - potentially you'd need SAC %s as high as the 70s/80s.

Your best course of action is to try not to spend much time working out what minimum standard of performance is required from you to meet a certain ss goal, and spend that time doing the best you can right now. Setting goals and standards for yourself or trying to work out where you are at the moment can be helpful, but it's nowhere near as helpful as actually doing work is.

Hi Achre,

Thank-you for your detail response. I understand that method is very unpredictable and depends on my cohort as well. Of course, I won't dwell on calculating the sacs scores any longer than needed. I understand that VCE does in a sense rewards those who put in the hard yards. I was just asking for a rough estimate as so I have a direction to head in :)

Thanks again!

NAT0003

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 03:09:21 pm »
I saw you got 45 for methods. Do you know how hard you need to work to get that score, like number of practice sacs practice exams etc. Also, if you don't mind would you be able to share the sac marks and exam marks you got
Thanks!

strawberries

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +416
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 06:03:19 pm »
not sure if this helps haha but here you go anyway...

IIRC I got around 50% for the final exams (can't remember though). I only completed like 2/3 of exam 2 I think? (totally forgot though)

but yeah, like others said, it depends on your school ranking/cohort strength too. I did go to a fairly good school and was averaging around 50-60% and I wasn't ranked at the top (but not at the bottom either) but yeah, this was like 3 years ago so yeah, not too sure but I didn't do too well overall.
VCE '15
don't let dreams be dreams

exit

• Forum Obsessive
  • COALESCE
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 06:28:18 pm »
I saw you got 45 for methods. Do you know how hard you need to work to get that score, like number of practice sacs practice exams etc. Also, if you don't mind would you be able to share the sac marks and exam marks you got
Thanks!

Since I was yr11 I did pretty much every exam I could get my hands on. Probably one a day for three months but there were quite a few weeks in that which I didn't do exams because of other things. You can start exams before your school does prob and skip the prob questions.

School submitted SAC marks (not sure about scaling): 98/100

exam 2: 72/80
exam 1: 38-39/40
VCE [ATAR: 99.25]: Physics 1/2, English 1/2, EngLang,Methods, Spesh, Accounting, Chem, German

2018-2021: Bachelor Of Commerce @ University of Melbourne
VCE English Language: A+ Short Answer Guide[pm for extra guidance!]