Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:34:13 am

Author Topic: Need help with analyzing article  (Read 777 times)  Share 

stefa23

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Need help with analyzing article
« on: February 29, 2020, 01:19:37 pm »
I have my first SAC for physics on next Tuesday, the teacher gave us an article last week (https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-08/antarctica-records-temperature-of-18.3c-the-hottest-ever/11946092) but I am not sure how to describe the physics behind this article. Can someone help me with the physics behind this article

Thanks for helping me!

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
Re: Need help with analyzing article
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 09:07:05 pm »
+2
I have my first SAC for physics on next Tuesday, the teacher gave us an article last week (https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-08/antarctica-records-temperature-of-18.3c-the-hottest-ever/11946092) but I am not sure how to describe the physics behind this article. Can someone help me with the physics behind this article

Thanks for helping me!
Hi stefa23!
I assume you are doing unit 1/2 physics at the moment, meaning your first SAC will probably be on thermodynamics.
There is actually quite a bit of relevant physics theory within this article - exactly how much depends on what stage you are through all the content.
The best way to check to see what content you need to know about a topic is through looking at your study guide. If you are not sure about what a study design is, thats perfectly OK - I sure didn't use it through year 11. A study design is basically a document which lists out the parameters and content you will be assessed on and there is one for each subject.
Under thermodynamics or as VCAA call it "How can thermal effects be explained?" the things the study design says you need to know in year 11 physics are shown in the spoiler below
click here

For your own reference, you can find the physics study design here

I assume that this SAC will involve answering questions relating to this scenario (please correct me if i am wrong). In this case, looking at this list, there seems to be quite a lot of different ways in which your teacher can turn/relate this scenario to a question. Since this article basically talks about increasing temperatures and glacial melting almost anything from the above list can be related back to the scenario.
You might have to explain the idea of thermal equilibrium applied to the idea of ice in warmer waters/environments, you might need to calculate the energy required to melt this ice (given a few more details), you might need to talk about different modes of heat transfer (i.e. convection, conduction, and radiation), or talk about the greenhouse effect just to name a few of the concepts that questions could be asked about. As such I would make sure that I was confortable with explaining all these dotpoints in the study design to prepare for the SAC (assuming you will be sitting a SAC consisting of questions relating to this scenario). If there are any dotpoints here that you don't quite understand, then feel free to ask for clarification here.
Hopefully I have unsderstood your question properly and good luck with your upcoming SAC!
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

stefa23

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 12:01:50 am »
Thanks for answering my question, I was so nervous about my first SAC.
Can you explain the thermal equilibrium and the greenhouse effect which I don't understand, and also do you have any websites for more practice SACs on Physics that I can get something to practice on? Thank you

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 09:06:50 pm »
+1
Thanks for answering my question, I was so nervous about my first SAC.
Can you explain the thermal equilibrium and the greenhouse effect which I don't understand, and also do you have any websites for more practice SACs on Physics that I can get something to practice on? Thank you
Sorry for the late reply - your post slipped under my radar unfortunately.

Thermal equilibrium is the state when two (or more) substances which are in direct contact with eachother do not exchange heat energy/ are the same temperature. An easy way to remember this knowing that equilibrium refers to a state of balance, thus thermal equilibrium would refer to a state of thermal balance where the temperatures of two (or more) substances are the same. To apply an example to this, imagine two metal blocks: one at 0 degrees celcius and another at 100 degrees celcius. These blocks are placed in contact with eachother and initially there is a net transfer of thermal energy from the hot block to the cooler block. Since there is this transfer of thermal energy, the blocks are not in thermal equilibrium. However, after some time has passed, the initially hot block would have trasnfered enough thermal energy to the intially cool block such that they are now the same temperature - at this stage these blocks are said to be in thermal equilibrium.
When considering thermal equilibrium, you might have to calculate the final temperature/final thermal energy of substances and an example of how to do this can be found here

As for the greenhouse effect - its a fairly large topic, so rather than me going off an explaining everything (which I can do if needed) I would be interested in knowing what specifically you are confused about? Is it everything to do with the topic, or is it something more specific?
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point