Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:30:21 am

Author Topic: Free Legal Essay Marking!  (Read 142101 times)

kiiaaa

• Trendsetter
Re: Free Legal Essay Marking!
« Reply #300 on: September 11, 2017, 10:55:24 pm »

hey guys
i was wondering if you could please mark my fam law essay on same sex and also tell me if im assessing it well please? my main problem in essays is that i am 'describing' it according to teachers and i dont know how to solve this. if you have any tips and tricks it would be relaly appriciated if you can share them :) :) :) :) Also if you could also suggest which band this essay lies in it will also be great! :)

Thank you sooo much guys

To what extent has law reform achieved just outcomes for those in same sex relationships?

Same sex marriage has catalyzed numerous law reform which collectively does work towards achieving justice for parties involved same sex relationships yet, within the law there are limitations compromising the sense of justice these parties receive. The law reform occurring in relation to same sex marriages has significantly impacted the parties to these relationships ranging from the individuals to the couple further to their children. Whilst prior the law stripped them being recognized as a marriage, it is through minor law reforms that they are slowly being granted and returned their rights especially in regards to property, matters surrounding children and marriage. Whilst these aren’t overall effective in ensuring justice these minor changes do demonstrate the laws ability to work towards achieving this goal.

Law reform has been highly effective in achieving justice for homosexual individuals in order to reflect the changing social values. Prior to the Crimes (Amendment) Act 1984 (NSW), same sex sexual intercourse between males was illegalized to which one could be incriminated as displayed in R v Dornan (1950) where a homosexual received a prison sentence. As a result this was ineffective as it breached their basic human rights and led them to be unprotected by the law. However, with the HR Sexual Conducts Act catalyzed by R v Toonen (1994) determining that Australian’s anti-homosexuality laws violated an individual’s human right under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. This reform has allowed individuals to feel that justice has occurred with the criminalization of homosexuality federally removed in the Human Rights (Sexual Conducts) Act 1994 (Cth) allowing them to freely pursue same sex relationships without the fear of being criminalized or incarcerated as well as allowing them to free express their sexuality. Hence, the law while attempting to protect the rights of same sex couples still requires further law reform in areas of property, children and marriage.

The law gradually but effectively as been working towards achieving justice for same sex couples by recognizing their relationship when it comes to matter surrounding property and inheritance. The property (relationships) act 1984 allowed for same sex couples to have the same legal standing as heterosexual de factor couples in its aim to ensure fairness for all couples. Furthermore, the justice system has ensured consistency and not being discriminatory exemplified in Howard v Andrews [1999] where the Family Court allowed the man to inherit their deceased male partner of 14 years’ estate ensuring justice wasn’t denied based on their marital status and hence further catalyzed the need for the 1999 amendment of the Property (Relationships) Act 1984 (Cth) to further ensure accessibility for all same sex couples to their partner’s inheritance. In addition this amendment allowed for formal recognition of same sex couples which was previously absent as in Hope and Brown v NIB [1995] where the couple experienced difficulty in gaining recognition from the insurance company, allowing the law to be responsive to voids within the system impeding its ability to achieve justice. Hence the law, despite being slow, has implemented progressive changes working towards achieving justice for same sex couples.

Australian law has slowly attempted to grant children adopted by homosexual couples equal rights of those from heterosexual couples yet it is not highly effective.  The Health Insurance Act 1973 (Cth) allowed same sex children to register as a family under Medicare ensuring that all children experienced fairness and consistency by the legal system. The Miscellaneous Act Amendment (Same Sex relationship) Act 2008 (NSW) also provided equal parenting rights for lesbian couples with both parents carrying the right to be mentioned on the child’s birth certificate and thus protecting the child’s right in getting both mother’s inheritance when separating. However, the law fails to ensure equality for same sex male couples where the child conceived through insemination does not have the same legal standing unless ordered by the family court thus compromising the level of fairness children receive under the law. Yet, the law carries the strength of working towards the best interest of the child fulfilling its international obligation on the Convention on the Rights of the Child, allowing Same Sex couples like other heterosexual couples adopt children under the Adoption Amendment (same sex couples) Act 2010 (NSW) rather than the child be adopted by a homosexual individual. Hence, whilst the law has been gradually been working towards achieving just outcomes for children in same sex relationships, it carries numerous shortfalls which limit its effectiveness in achieving overall justice.

The law has gradually granted rights despite it being retrospective in its approach towards same sex couples impeding the level of justice these individuals received as they law was discriminating against them. The 2004 reforms by the Howard government to the Marriage Act 1969 (Cth) by adding that marriage is considered a “union between a man and a woman,” the law explicitly excluded same marriages and thus were considered void under the law. This legal discrimination has severely impeded the notion of justice same sex individuals receive due to the lack of fairness and equality within the law. However, the law has been responsive to the changing societal values in the implementation of the Relationships Register Act 2010 (NSW) which allows same sex couples to register their defacto relationship and formally recognize their same sex relationship. In addition, the postal plebiscite of 2017, regarding the legalization of same sex marriage in Australia, further demonstrates the law accommodating to the changing values of Australian and reflecting these values through legislation. Hence, whilst the law hasn’t matched the changing values in society, it has gradually with the aid of law reform work towards achieving a sense of equality for same sex couples yet full equality is still denied impeding the effectiveness of law reform.

Hence, whilst the law has been accommodating to the changing societal values in relation to same sex couples it also has been responsive to the various implication this changing family structure has brought in relation to children and property. These changes have been implemented to accumulatively work towards achieving justice especially for stakeholders in same sex relationships hence despite having numerous shortfalls the law has been progressive in its approach of achieving justice through law reform.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
« Reply #301 on: September 15, 2017, 09:50:54 am »
hey guys
i was wondering if you could please mark my fam law essay on same sex and also tell me if im assessing it well please? my main problem in essays is that i am 'describing' it according to teachers and i dont know how to solve this. if you have any tips and tricks it would be relaly appriciated if you can share them :) :) :) :) Also if you could also suggest which band this essay lies in it will also be great! :)

Thank you sooo much guys

I've attached your essay with feedback in bold! ;D

Spoiler
To what extent has law reform achieved just outcomes for those in same sex relationships?

Same sex marriage has catalyzed numerous law reform which collectively does work towards achieving justice for parties involved same sex relationships yet, within the law there are limitations compromising the sense of justice these parties receive. Good Thesis! Some slight wording issues but the idea is sound, the sentence could be the tiniest bit long. The law reform occurring in relation to same sex marriages has significantly impacted the parties to these relationships ranging from the individuals to the couple further to their children. Has this impact been positive or negative? Try to be specific. Whilst prior the law stripped them being recognised as a marriage, it is through minor law reforms that they are slowly being granted and returned their rights especially in regards to property, matters surrounding children and marriage. Whilst these aren’t overall effective in ensuring justice these minor changes do demonstrate the laws ability to work towards achieving this goal. This is a good introduction with a good argument, that the laws are a good start but there is more work to do. Work on being very specific with the effectiveness of the responses in achieving justice to make sure you are linking to the question properly. You might also wish to define justice in terms of the criteria you will be looking at (accessibility, equality, etc)..

Law reform has been highly effective in achieving justice for homosexual individuals in order to reflect the changing social values. This feels very broad for a paragraph topic! Prior to the Crimes (Amendment) Act 1984 (NSW), same sex sexual intercourse between males was illegalized to which one could be incriminated as displayed in R v Dornan (1950) where a homosexual received a prison sentence. As a result this was ineffective as it breached their basic human rights and led them to be unprotected by the law. Good analysis, good integration of a few bits of evidence. However, with the HR Sexual Conducts Act catalyzed by R v Toonen (1994) determining that Australian’s anti-homosexuality laws violated an individual’s human right under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. Watch wording, slightly off there. This reform has allowed individuals to feel that justice has occurred with the criminalization of homosexuality federally removed in the Human Rights (Sexual Conducts) Act 1994 (Cth) allowing them to freely pursue same sex relationships without the fear of being criminalized or incarcerated as well as allowing them to free express their sexuality. Good. Hence, the law while attempting to protect the rights of same sex couples still requires further law reform in areas of property, children and marriage. Good evidence and evaluation, but the topic sentence and conclusion feel off. I'd say this is a paragraph on decriminalisation, perhaps say, "Law reform has proven to be effective in achieving justice through the decriminalisation of homosexuality," or similar, to set the paragraph up better.

The law gradually but effectively as been working towards achieving justice for same sex couples by recognizing their relationship when it comes to matter surrounding property and inheritance. The property (relationships) act 1984 allowed for same sex couples to have the same legal standing as heterosexual de factor couples in its aim to ensure fairness for all couples. Ensure your laws are capitalised! Furthermore, the justice system has ensured consistency and not being discriminatory exemplified in Howard v Andrews [1999] where the Family Court allowed the man to inherit their deceased male partner of 14 years’ estate ensuring justice wasn’t denied based on their marital status and hence further catalyzed the need for the 1999 amendment of the Property (Relationships) Act 1984 (Cth) to further ensure accessibility for all same sex couples to their partner’s inheritance. Sentence is waaay too long there - Break it up into digestable chunks, and really take the time to evaluate each piece of your argument in turn. In addition this amendment allowed for formal recognition of same sex couples which was previously absent as in Hope and Brown v NIB [1995] where the couple experienced difficulty in gaining recognition from the insurance company, allowing the law to be responsive to voids within the system impeding its ability to achieve justice. Hence the law, despite being slow, has implemented progressive changes working towards achieving justice for same sex couples. Fantastic evidence in this paragraph, certainly lots of it - I'd advise you to slow down just a tad and really draw out the argument in each piece of evidence, make sure you are frequently using evaluative words.

Australian law has slowly attempted to grant children adopted by homosexual couples equal rights of those from heterosexual couples yet it is not highly effective.  The Health Insurance Act 1973 (Cth) allowed same sex children to register as a family under Medicare ensuring that all children experienced fairness and consistency by the legal system. The Miscellaneous Act Amendment (Same Sex relationship) Act 2008 (NSW) also provided equal parenting rights for lesbian couples with both parents carrying the right to be mentioned on the child’s birth certificate and thus protecting the child’s right in getting both mother’s inheritance when separating. Good - This paragraph is more methodical in its argument, this gives more clarity and answers the question more effectively. However, the law fails to ensure equality for same sex male couples where the child conceived through insemination does not have the same legal standing unless ordered by the family court thus compromising the level of fairness children receive under the law. Ever so slightly vague in that argument, can you reference a specific piece of legislation that is lacking? Perhaps include a media article to highlight the issue? Yet, the law carries the strength of working towards the best interest of the child fulfilling its international obligation on the Convention on the Rights of the Child, allowing Same Sex couples like other heterosexual couples adopt children under the Adoption Amendment (same sex couples) Act 2010 (NSW) rather than the child be adopted by a homosexual individual. Slightly confused here as well, the wording is impacting on the clarity of your arguments - Be careful! Hence, whilst the law has been gradually been working towards achieving just outcomes for children in same sex relationships, it carries numerous shortfalls which limit its effectiveness in achieving overall justice. Nice conclusion - Your arguments have been sustained nicely, good stuff!

The law has gradually granted rights despite it being retrospective in its approach towards same sex couples impeding the level of justice these individuals received as they law was discriminating against them. Slight wording issue here - Keep your introductions simple and powerful. The 2004 reforms by the Howard government to the Marriage Act 1969 (Cth) by adding that marriage is considered a “union between a man and a woman,” the law explicitly excluded same marriages and thus were considered void under the law. This legal discrimination has severely impeded the notion of justice same sex individuals receive due to the lack of fairness and equality within the law. Good. However, the law has been responsive to the changing societal values in the implementation of the Relationships Register Act 2010 (NSW) which allows same sex couples to register their defacto relationship and formally recognize their same sex relationship. In addition, the postal plebiscite of 2017, regarding the legalization of same sex marriage in Australia, further demonstrates the law accommodating to the changing values of Australian and reflecting these values through legislation. It would be good to specifically reference a media article here. Hence, whilst the law hasn’t matched the changing values in society, it has gradually with the aid of law reform work towards achieving a sense of equality for same sex couples yet full equality is still denied impeding the effectiveness of law reform. This conclusion feels a bit topsy turvy - "Not perfect, but good, but not perfect." Try and make a more definitive conclusion, even if that conclusion is "somewhat effective," be definite in taking the middle ground.

Hence, whilst the law has been accommodating to the changing societal values in relation to same sex couples it also has been responsive to the various implication this changing family structure has brought in relation to children and property. These changes have been implemented to accumulatively work towards achieving justice especially for stakeholders in same sex relationships hence despite having numerous shortfalls the law has been progressive in its approach of achieving justice through law reform.

Very strong essay kiiaaa, lots of excellent evidence which is for the most part well argued. Try and include some media articles - That's really the only big gap in your evidence I can see, some reports/statistics could be effective as well to vary things a bit. Evaluations are pretty good in most areas, occasionally the argument is vague, but this could be fixed by adjusting the wording ever so slightly to link to the question a little more closely. Be blatant: "The _______ was extremely effective in achieving justice, as it (INSERT PHRASE BRIEFLY EXPLAINING WHY IT IS EFFECTIVE)." Good work on including criteria like accessibility in your judgements.

The big thing holding you back is wording - Lots of places where your wording/syntax is inhibiting your sophistication and impacting on clarity. You don't need to be a brilliant writer to get a 20/20 in Legal but you need to be able to communicate your ideas clearly and succinctly - You still need to do a bit of work there. Read your essay aloud or have someone read it to you, listen for "iffy" bits, and fix them!

I don't think this essay is describing too much at all - Sometimes, but on the whole the focus is on judgement, and this will only improve as you tidy the wording. I'd say you are getting into the Band 6 range, or it not Band 6, very high Band 5 :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
« Reply #302 on: September 15, 2017, 10:14:53 am »
hey guys

Thank you sooo much guys

Hey there! I'll take a look at this for you :)

Spoiler

Same sex marriage has catalyzed Not a huge deal, but this is the American spelling :) Make sure your microsoft word is switched to English (AUS), which is probably more important for your English essays, but nonetheless :) numerous law reforms which collectively does work towards achieving justice for parties involved same sex relationships yet, within the law there are limitations compromising the sense of justice these parties receive. I like the majority of this thesis - I can see that your judgement says there have been reforms but there is some limitations and some successes. What I'm not so sure about is same sex marriage being the catalyst for these. Perhaps you could argue that the discussion about same sex marriage that has existed for many years might have prompted other reforms, but I tend to think it's not "same sex marriage' that prompted these reforms, seeing as same sex marriage is still not legal in Australia. The law reform occurring in relation to same sex marriages has significantly impacted the parties to these relationships ranging from the individuals to the couple further to their children. Whilst prior the law stripped them being recognized as a marriage, it is through minor law reforms that they are slowly being granted and returned their rights especially in regards to property, matters surrounding children and marriage. Also hesitant about this wording, saying that they had the rights, they were stripped, and slowly they are being returned. It can be argued, but I tend to think you won't be going into this storyline in the response. But we'll check it out :) Whilst these aren’t overall effective in ensuring justice these minor changes do demonstrate the laws ability to work towards achieving this goal. Overall you've done a great job of making an argument clear here, that your judgement is that there are some limitations and some successes but law reform is continuing to aim to achieve just outcomes.

Law reform has been highly effective in achieving justice for homosexual individuals in order to reflect the changing social values. Prior to the Crimes (Amendment) Act 1984 (NSW), same sex sexual intercourse between males was illegalized decriminalised* to which one could be incriminated as displayed in R v Dornan (1950) where a homosexual received a prison sentence for sodomy.. Lots of good stuff here! As a result this was ineffective as it breached their basic human rights such as the right to privacy,and led them to be unprotected by the law. However, with the HR Sexual Conducts Act catalyzed by R v Toonen (1994) determining that Australian’s anti-homosexuality laws violated an individual’s human right under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. This reform has allowed individuals to feel that justice has occurred with the criminalization of homosexuality federally removed in the Human Rights (Sexual Conducts) Act 1994 (Cth) allowing them to freely pursue same sex relationships without the fear of being criminalized or incarcerated as well as allowing them to freely express their sexuality within the same bounds as heterosexual couples (keep in mind that it's not totally free - you still can't have sex in public, for example. . Hence, the law while attempting to protect the rights of same sex couples still requires further law reform in areas of property, children and marriage. Not sold on this ending sentence for the reason that suddenly property, children, and marriages are brought into a conversation about sodomy. I'm inclined to leave these out, because your introduction tells me they are yet to come anyway. And instead, I'd summarise the effectiveness of decriminalising sodomy as a way of achieving justice for gay community members.

The law gradually but effectively has been working towards achieving justice for same sex couples by recognizing their relationship when it comes to matter surrounding property and inheritance. Great - good clarity on this paragraph. I know what to expect! Although I would switch around the beginning, is something really that effective if it is gradual? Or is the slowness a limitation of the effectiveness? You decide. But, I would write "The law is mostly effective in relation to same sex couples and surrounding issues of property and inheritance, although the slow nature of the reforms... The property (relationships) act 1984 allowed for same sex couples to have the same legal standing as heterosexual de factor de facto* couples in its aim to ensure fairness for all couples. Furthermore, the justice system has ensured consistency and not being discriminatory exemplified in Howard v Andrews [1999] where the Family Court allowed the man to inherit their deceased male partner of 14 years’ estate ensuring justice wasn’t denied based on their marital status and hence further catalyzed the need for the 1999 amendment of the Property (Relationships) Act 1984 (Cth) to further ensure accessibility for all same sex couples to their partner’s inheritance. Quite a long sentence, I'd slice it into two by starting a new sentence at "and hence further". In addition this amendment allowed for formal recognition of same sex couples which was previously absent as in Hope and Brown v NIB [1995] where the couple experienced difficulty in gaining recognition from the insurance company, allowing the law to be responsive to voids within the system impeding its ability to achieve justice. Hence the law, despite being slow, has implemented progressive changes working towards achieving justice for same sex couples.

Australian law has slowly attempted to grant children adopted by homosexual couples equal rights of those from heterosexual couples yet it is not highly effective.  The Health Insurance Act 1973 (Cth) allowed same sex children to register as a family under Medicare ensuring that all children experienced fairness and consistency by the legal system. The Miscellaneous Act Amendment (Same Sex relationship) Act 2008 (NSW) also provided equal parenting rights for lesbian couples with both parents carrying the right to be mentioned on the child’s birth certificate and thus protecting the child’s right in getting accessing* both mother’s inheritance when separating. However, the law fails to ensure equality for same sex male couples where the child conceived through insemination does not have the same legal standing unless ordered by the family courtNew sentence here. thus compromising the level of fairness children receive under the law. Yet, the law carries the strength of working towards the best interest of the child fulfilling its international obligation on the Convention on the Rights of the Child, allowing Same Sex couples like other heterosexual couples adopt children under the Adoption Amendment (same sex couples) Act 2010 (NSW) rather than the child be adopted by a homosexual individual. Hence, whilst the law has been gradually been working towards achieving just outcomes for children in same sex relationships, it carries numerous shortfalls which limit its effectiveness in achieving overall justice. The incorporation of the international document is really important - in allllll legal essays (crime, and options, I mean!), it's really important to be drawing things out to that bigger picture. I also think the accuracy of the legislation you're including is great. However, I'm hesitant about this paragraph because the question asks us to talk about those in same sex relationships. Obviously being the child of such a relationship draws you into the equation of "relationship" to some extent, but I'm inclined to take the angle of looking at children from the adult's perspective. So, talking about the fairness of mums having their name on the birth certificate, rather than the fairness of it for the child to have both parent's recognised. Obviously it works both ways, but given the wording of the question this is how I'm inclined to respond to it to ensure I'm showing complete accuracy in addressing the question. I wouldn't say this paragraph if off-topic, but it does need some re-alligning :)

The law has gradually granted rights despite it being retrospective in its approach towards same sex couples impeding the level of justice these individuals received as they law was discriminating against them. This sentence has a whole lot of words and it doesn't clearly respond to much of it. I'm unsure of what you mean by "retrospective in its approach" and then the last part "as the law was discriminating against them" I think can be deleted because it's assumed knowledge based on everything we know so far. The 2004 reforms by the Howard government to the Marriage Act 1969 (Cth) by adding that marriage is considered a “union between a man and a woman,” the law explicitly excluded same marriages and thus were considered void under the law. This legal discrimination has severely impeded the notion of justice same sex individuals receive due to the lack of fairness and equality within the law. However, the law has been responsive to the changing societal values in the implementation of the Relationships Register Act 2010 (NSW) which allows same sex couples to register their defacto relationship and formally recognize their same sex relationship. In addition, the postal plebiscite of 2017, regarding the legalization of same sex marriage in Australia, further demonstrates the law accommodating to the changing values of Australian and reflecting these values through legislation. Hence, whilst the law hasn’t matched the changing values in society, it has gradually with the aid of law reform work towards achieving a sense of equality for same sex couples yet full equality is still denied impeding the effectiveness of law reform. Great!

The use of legislation and cases is particularly strong in this essay. You've absolutely aced accurately drawing on different pieces of legislation at relevant times to colour in the picture of same sex relationships in Australia through a legal sense. The incorporation of international documents is good and very important as well - although I did leave a little comment about the ICCPR and how you should identify the specific right being infringed (privacy) in order to be most accurate. There is a lack of media articles in this piece, though. I think the plebiscite is an excellent place to bring in a media article seeing as there's absolutely no shortage of these articles at the moment! I have no doubt you'll be able to integrate this as seamlessly as you have all of the legislation throughout. The arguments are well formulated in that they logically move through different aspects of a same sex couple's experiences with the law. I think a stronger connection could be made between comparing homosexual and heterosexual relationships under the law. When we look at the treatment of same sex couples, we are essentially looking at how their experiences of legislation compare to a heterosexual's experience of legislation - and this is why we can see an inequality in the achievement of justice.

If you're looking for another area to add to your notes - you could talk about the way religious educational institutions are exempt from the Sexual Discrimination Act (refer to section 37 and 38: http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/viewdoc/au/legis/cth/consol_act/sda1984209/s38.html)

I don't think you are describing too much at all, but I do think your wording let's you down at times. I've commented on this throughout so hopefully it gives you a hand.

Edit: Shit, Jamon and I both just got to this. Serves me right for taking so long because I was eating breakfast at the same time ;) Enjoy the double feedback ;)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

kiiaaa

• Trendsetter
« Reply #303 on: September 27, 2017, 09:47:11 am »
hey guys
i was wondering if you could please check this essay for me? I'm not sure if im properly addressing the questions and was wondering if i could get some feedback please and an indication of which band would it lie in
Thank you sooooo much

PS. also sorry if the spelling of words is in the American style- im still experimenting no how to change it to the Australian spelling as it keeps on autocorrecting it =/

To what extent is law reform regarding alternative family relationships a reflection of changing values?

With society’s values constantly evolving and becoming more accepting towards alternatives to the traditional family, the law in most cases has effectively reformed itself to cater to the changing values. Theses reforms has allowed the law to effectively mirror the societal values in relation to each alternate relationship ranging from same sex couples, de facto, Aboriginal and Torres strait island relationships and single parent relationships. Whilst some reforms fail to effectively meet society’s values it steadily is working towards this in its aim to ensure fairness, equality and justice from the law in relation to the family relationship.

The consistent law reform regarding same-sex couples as been successful in working towards the changing values of Australian society. Post the 2004 amendments to the Family Law Act 1969 (Cth) under the Howard government, numerous changes have been implemented to match the societal values that same-sex couples deserve equal treatment and recognition as the standard family. The introduction of Property (Relationships) Act 1984 (Cth) allowed for same-sex couples to be legally recognised as de facto couple and thus be granted the protection of their rights especially regarding inheritance. The societal belief that a same-sex partner should be legally allowed to claim their deceased partner’s estate is evident in Howards v Andrews (1999) which catalysed the need for amendments. Furthermore, the laws attempt to understand the social values is exemplified in the 2017 postal plebiscite, where through a survey the parliament can understand and thus be responsive to the social values when considering to make amendments and legalising same-sex marriage. Hence, through slow but steady law reform, the law is working towards meeting the social values in regards to same-sex relationships.

With society being more accepting of de facto relationships, the law has reformed in encompassing parties to these relationships. The rise in defacto relationships from 0.6 in 1971 to 16% in 2016 (SMH 2016 Cosima Marriner) displayed as the changing social values which the law must address as previously the parties in the relationship weren’t given any rights as it was seen immoral. Yet with the growing number of de facto relationships, there is a greater acceptance within the community catalysing the amendment to the Family Law Amendment (de facto ad financial matters and other measures) assisting in dealing with separation of de facto couples and divisor of property as well as regarding their children of the relationship. Furthermore, the changed values surrounding the children of de facto relationships is reflected in the Status of the Children Act being reformed to be applicable to children of de facto couples ensuring fairness and equality amongst the law. Thus, the rise in the defacto couples reflect the changing social values being more accepting of this from of relationships further embedded in the law ensuring equality and fairness providing equal rights to defacto couples as married couples.

Despite the greater social acceptance of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island (ATSI) people, the law has to a very limited extent accept the ATSI customary law. Under ATSI customary law, the marriage is entered in accordance with a tribal custom than the requirements set in the Family Law Act 1961. However, despite the growing awareness of ATSI customary law, the federal law doesn’t recognise these marriages and considers them as a defacto relationship thus not being an accurate reflection of the societal values as it mould ATSI marriages into European marriage ideals, as depicted when a 16 yr old boy was jailed after marrying a 12 yr old girl under ATSI law (SMH 2009 Murdoch Lindsay). The absence of laws that allow ATSI relationships to be legally recognised displays the ineffectiveness of law reform in ensuring fairness in meeting the values of the ATSI community. Hence, due to the limited law reform regarding ATSI relationships, the law has been ineffective in meeting the societal values regarding the recognition of customary law.
The growing acceptance of single-parent relationships is effectively reflected in the law ensuring parties within the relationships are fairly treated by the law. The huge increase of families being headed by a lone parent are reflected with 81% of the 15% of single families are headed by mothers according to the ABS thus catalysing the need for reform to cater to this family relationship and ensure fairness, something that society values. Due to the greater acceptance of unwed mothers within society leading to an increase in the divorce rates, the government has implemented the Child Support Scheme to ensure that parents fulfil their responsibility to the child by in terms of child support. Furthermore, the reform tackled non-compliance and allowed the law to be more resource efficient by allowing the ATO to garnish the parents wage especially tax payers felt burdened (The Australian 2014, Crowe David) by the welfare payments distributed. Therefore, with society becoming more accepting of single parents, law reform has effectively ensured that whilst they receive financial aid it also addresses the concerns of taxpayers wanting their funds properly distributed.

Hence while the law might have some short falls in meeting the current societal values, as a whole it has effectively reformed and amended itself to ensure it caters towards society accepting the alternate relationships. Whilst further reforms might be needed especially regarding same-sex and ATSI relationships, in relation to de facto and single parent relationships, law reform has effectively worked towards ensuring fairness, equality and justice for parties to these relationships as society values towards these alternatives change

thank you once again, guys! :)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 09:50:28 am by kiiaaa »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #304 on: September 27, 2017, 11:18:00 am »
hey guys
i was wondering if you could please check this essay for me? I'm not sure if im properly addressing the questions and was wondering if i could get some feedback please and an indication of which band would it lie in
Thank you sooooo much

Hey! My spreadsheet says you'll need to hit 160 posts to qualify for your next bit of feedback - The requirement has jumped to 50 posts over the HSC period ;D

Mary_a

• Trendsetter
« Reply #305 on: September 27, 2017, 02:47:09 pm »
Evaluate The Effectiveness of the Criminal Trial Process as a Means of Achieving Justice:

The criminal trial process is an intricate and complex system that incorporates specific areas such as the jury system, complete and partial defences and the adversarial process. These elements attempt to achieve justice by trying to balance the rights of the offenders, victims and society.

The jury system attempts to achieve justice in the criminal trial process by its separation form the decision upon sentencing, and is governed by the Jury Act 1977 (NSW). The jury system attempts to balance the rights of the offenders, victims and society because it upholds the Doctrine of Natural Justice by granting the accuses the right to a fair hearing by an impartial judge and jury, juries draw strength and credibility from numbers by majority verdicts and the standard of proof, where someone is bound guilty beyond reasonable doubt. The jury system also attempts to achieve justice by catering for the needs of society by their ability to apply current community values and ethical standards as well as helping to remove bias through the jury deciding upon verdicts as oppose to judge along trials. However, whilst the jury system attempts to achieve justice by balancing the rights of victims, offenders and society, there is also a lack of effectiveness within the jury system. Despite juries attempting to eliminate bias, they may be inclined to be more emotional than judges as well as influenced by the media. Although jurors are instructed to base their verdicts only on evidence they hear in court, in a case where there has been a lot of media coverage, it may be very difficult for jurors to ignore the media and remain impartial. Impartiality is a fundamental right in the court system and its lack of representation in the trial denies the accused their rights and does not uphold the doctrine of natural justice and therefore, jury systems, whilst attempting to balance the rights of offenders, victims and society, do not always achieve justice.

Defences to criminal charges can be classified as complete or partial and result in no conviction or a lesser conviction. These defences attempt to achieve justice for victims, offenders and society, however, do not always appropriately  balance their needs. The complete defence of self defences requires a defendant to admit to committing the criminal offence, knowing it was wrong, but he/she claims to be acting to defend himself/herself/someone else from the attack. Self defence attempts to achieve justice as people should be able to to protect themselves from harm (protection of individual rights) and can only be used if the force is necessary and reasonable, however, this defence cannot always be properly proved, resulting in an inadequate achievement of justice for victims. The R v. Silva case (2015) highlighted that self defence cannot always be accurately proved in the first attempt, who stabbed her boyfriend after abusive threats, violent and ice-addled rage imposed upon her. She was originally convicted of manslaughter however, she appealed the conviction, arguing she was acting in self defence and the NSW Court Of Criminal Appeal questioned her conviction. The initial conviction did not achieve justice of Silva and its lack of justice in the original riling did not balance Silva’s rights, tech criminal court only achieving justice for Silva after an appeal, if Silva did not have adequate access to legal representation in the appeal, she may have not had access to justice. The partial defence of provocation has been exploited in such manners that it no longer achieves justice for victims, offenders and society. Despite its ability to allow women who have suffered years of abuse to reduce their liability if they cause the death of the abuse, this defence has been used to legitimise lethal acts of domestic violence such as R v. Ramage (2004) and R v. Singh (2012), and does not achieve justice for victims. Both wives left their abusive husbands, Ramage and Singh, whom brutally murdered their wives. Singh murdered his wife by cutting her throat with a box cutter 23 times and was sentenced to only 8 years after pleading provocation. The community outrage at the killing being desired as ‘manslaughter’ and not ‘murder’ and the sentences length highlights that the exploitation of this defence does not achieve justice for victims and society, as society continues to question how a man who kills his wife in such circumstances can be entitled to even a partial defence to murder. Thus, completely and partial defences, whilst perhaps achieving justice for offenders does limit the justice achieved for society and victims, especially when these defences are brutally exploited.

The adversarial process attempts to achieve justice by upholding the doctrine of natural justice, as it requires the individual right to an impartial jury, judge/magistrate and a right to a fair hearing. The adversarial system is effective for victims and offenders as both parties are heard and given the chance to represent their cases, thus, upholding the doctrine of natural justice. The standards of evidence help remove hearsay and opinion by classifying evidence as admissible or inadmissible, granting the accused a fairer trial and by extent attempts to achieve justice. Cross examination in the adversarial system also allows the jury to see and hear both sides of a case, upholding the doctrine of natural justice. However, the adversarial system also is also lacking in effectiveness that inhibits its ability to achieve justice. The delay in cases, asa result of the lack of resource efficiency, inhibits its ability to achieve justice as “justice delayed is justice denied.” Justice is rendered ineffective as equality and access can be absent in a case when one side can afford legal representation and one cannot. Thus, the side with more monetary abilities can afford the best lawyer which may manipulate the jury. Thus, the lack of equality and access to legal representation inhibits the adversarial system’s ability to achiever justice.

Overall, the criminal trial process attempts to achieve justice by balancing the rights of victims, offenders and society, however the exploitation of certain areas of defences and the adversarial system inhibits its ability to achieve justice.

Written under exam conditions, please dear god help. I can write a great English essay, but for some reason, not a legal essay. (Also, I typed up the written essay.) Thank you, thank you, thank you. Also, expect a law reform one soon and a family one. Thank you!

Also, is it now 50 posts? If so, how many more do i need now if I don't qualify for this one, or want to qualify for another one? Thank you
Hey!
I did the HSC last year (2017) and my 10 units were English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Legal Studies, Maths and Studies of Religion 2. I achieved my ATAR aim of over 90!

I loved tutoring and running essay writing workshops (privately and at InFlow Education) so much that I decided to study a Bachelor of Secondary Education, majoring in English and minoring in Maths!

If you're thinking about tutoring, let me know x

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #306 on: September 27, 2017, 03:12:09 pm »
Also, is it now 50 posts? If so, how many more do i need now if I don't qualify for this one, or want to qualify for another one? Thank you

This qualifies - Your next one will need 130 posts! :)

Mary_a

• Trendsetter
« Reply #307 on: September 27, 2017, 03:57:42 pm »
This qualifies - Your next one will need 130 posts! :)

Okay, thanks so much Jamon :)
Hey!
I did the HSC last year (2017) and my 10 units were English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Legal Studies, Maths and Studies of Religion 2. I achieved my ATAR aim of over 90!

I loved tutoring and running essay writing workshops (privately and at InFlow Education) so much that I decided to study a Bachelor of Secondary Education, majoring in English and minoring in Maths!

If you're thinking about tutoring, let me know x

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
« Reply #308 on: September 27, 2017, 04:00:55 pm »
How many posts do essay plans cost?
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #309 on: September 27, 2017, 04:38:09 pm »
How many posts do essay plans cost?

I'm pretty happy to just look over dot point plan without requiring posts :)

Korrasami

• Forum Regular
« Reply #310 on: September 27, 2017, 04:49:03 pm »
If that's the case, can you please look over just my introduction for my Crime essay from the 2016 paper.

" The criminal justice system has various mechanisms to ensure that young offenders’ rights are at the forefront in order for justice to properly be achieved. For young offenders to achieve justice, the criminal justice system must take into account the negative circumstances children could be brought up in, which can result in children engaging in criminal behaviour. In order for this to be effectively executed, the criminal justice system must treat young offenders differently to a large extent. The way in which the criminal justice system has handled the treatment of young offenders is expressed through the notion of doli incapax, the Children’s Court and the three-tiered system of diversionary processes."

I've already written the rest of the essay out, but since I don't have the required amount of posts, I'm not posting the whole essay.

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
  • Professional quote and statistic generator
« Reply #311 on: September 27, 2017, 09:12:51 pm »
If that's the case, can you please look over just my introduction for my Crime essay from the 2016 paper.

" The criminal justice system has various mechanisms to ensure that young offenders’ rights are at the forefront in order for justice to properly be achieved. For young offenders to achieve justice, the criminal justice system must take into account the negative circumstances children could be brought up in, which can result in children engaging in criminal behaviour. In order for this to be effectively executed, the criminal justice system must treat young offenders differently to a large extent. The way in which the criminal justice system has handled the treatment of young offenders is expressed through the notion of doli incapax, the Children’s Court and the three-tiered system of diversionary processes."

I've already written the rest of the essay out, but since I don't have the required amount of posts, I'm not posting the whole essay.

Hey ! I'd be happy to take a look at your essay. It obviously wouldn't be as great as getting feedback from a state ranker, but it's a step in the right direction. Feel free to send it through here :)
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

ATAR: 96.75

Need tutoring? Click here!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #312 on: September 27, 2017, 09:59:03 pm »

I like this introduction! It sets a good rationale for the arguments in terms of how they are important and why, I'd just say you need to address the question a little more directly in terms of how well each response is actually able to treat the young offender differently to achieve justice. Meaning, how well are those things you list in the end able to achieve that differentiation?

Good stuff though! I think it's a great start - You could tidy up the expression in the first few sentences to make the whole thing shorter if you liked (a bit of repetition early on), but definitely fantastic introduction :)

Hey ! I'd be happy to take a look at your essay. It obviously wouldn't be as great as getting feedback from a state ranker, but it's a step in the right direction. Feel free to send it through here :)

I reckon your feedback would be equally useful my friend - Hopefully it helps you too! ;D

Korrasami

• Forum Regular
« Reply #313 on: September 27, 2017, 10:41:49 pm »

Sent it through!!

I like this introduction! It sets a good rationale for the arguments in terms of how they are important and why, I'd just say you need to address the question a little more directly in terms of how well each response is actually able to treat the young offender differently to achieve justice. Meaning, how well are those things you list in the end able to achieve that differentiation?

Good stuff though! I think it's a great start - You could tidy up the expression in the first few sentences to make the whole thing shorter if you liked (a bit of repetition early on), but definitely fantastic introduction :)

Thanks so much for the advice, will gladly take it on board!!

Mod Edit: Post merge :)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 10:44:34 pm by jamonwindeyer »

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
  • Professional quote and statistic generator
« Reply #314 on: September 28, 2017, 10:58:21 am »
‘The criminal justice system must treat young offenders differently in order to achieve
justice.’

To what extent is this statement true?

Original
Spoiler
The criminal justice system has various mechanisms to ensure that young offenders’ rights are at the forefront in order for justice to properly be achieved. For young offenders to achieve justice, the criminal justice system must take into account the negative circumstances children could be brought up in, which can result in children engaging in criminal behaviour. In order for this to be effectively executed, the criminal justice system must treat young offenders differently to a large extent. The way in which the criminal justice system has handled the treatment of young offenders is expressed through the notion of doli incapax, the Children’s Court and the three-tiered system of diversionary processes.

The notion of doli incapax reveals how the criminal justice system recognises the need for young offenders to be treated differently in order for justice to be achieved. In most cases, the community and the law recognise that young offenders have not reached full adulthood, therefore limiting their capacity to recognise right from wrong and highlights the need for young offenders to be treated differently in order for justice to achieved. Despite the application of doli incapax being criticised, especially in high-profile cases relating to heinous crimes committed by children, the importance of doli incapax for young offenders to achieve justice, is highlighted in Thomas Crofts paper ‘Doli incapax: Why children deserve its protection’ in which he states that it is consistent with the principles of international law (Convention on the Rights of the Child) in which Australia is a signatory. Furthermore, the case of Corey Davis allowed an 11 year old offender to be acquitted, thus proving that the notion of doli incapax applies. Therefore, it is clear that the criminal justice system uses doli incapax to treat young offenders differently, to ensure that justice is achieved.

The Children’s Court also reveals how the criminal justice system recognises the need for young offenders to be treated differently for justice to be achieved. Established in 1987 under the Children’s Court Act 1987 (NSW), the court has dual roles that deal with criminal matters of children under 18 years and the matters of care and protection of children. The Children’s Court follows procedures laid out under the Children’s (Criminal Proceedings) Act 1987 (NSW), which acts as a guideline for courts to show regard for children, in order for justice to be achieved. The Children’s Court allows the criminal justice system to achieve justice by allowing children’s proceedings to be conducted in a closed court in order to protect the identity of the child, to ensure differing penalties and sentencing procedures differ from those of ordinary courts. This is evident in the case of a Geelong teenager “guilty of sexually assaulting eight women” being placed on a two-year probation in which the judge ordered the boy to undergo a positive sexuality course as part of his probation. Ultimately, the criminal justice system uses the Children’s Court in order for young offenders to achieve justice.

Lastly, the three-tiered system of diversionary processes also enables the criminal justice system to treat young offenders differently in order for justice to be achieved. Under the Young Offenders Act 1997 (NSW), children who have committed an offence proceed through a three-tiered system of diversionary processes known as warnings, cautions and youth justice conferences. These programs allow children to have alternative punishments to traditional criminal processes and court penalties, thus allowing the criminal justice system to treat young offenders differently. The use of warnings allow children to have no conditions attached to their offence which is detailed under s15 of the YOA. Police can also issue a more formal warning in the form of a caution, which can only be given if the child admits to the offence or has a legal guardian present. Furthermore, the youth justice conference allows the offender to take responsibility for their actions and to promote better family understanding of the issues. However, a report entitled “Reoffending among young people cautioned by police or who participated in a youth justice conference” reveals that the introduction of police cautions and youth justice conferences have led to a significant increase in recidivism rates. For example, in 2004-05, approximately 1,200 young offenders completed a YJC or received a caution, which resulted in 58% reoffending within the next five years. Nevertheless, the criminal justice system uses the three-tiered system of diversionary processes in order for young offenders to achieve justice.

Therefore, it is clear that the criminal justice system needs to treat young offenders differently in order for justice to be achieved. This has resulted in the notion of doli incapax, which considers the capacity for young offenders to recognise right from wrong, the Children’s Court which allows special provisions for young offenders and the three-tiered system of diversionary processes which allows children to have alternative sentences.

With feedback
Spoiler
The criminal justice system has various mechanisms to ensure that young offenders’ rights are at the forefront in order for justice to properly be achieved "to achieve justice".Simple thesis, however I feel as though you aren't hitting the question correctly. Firstly, you're thesis must include your judgement to the extent you believe the statement is true. i.e. is the statement accurate to a high, partial or limited extent. Secondly, you need to explicitly refer to the statement provided. I know that throughout your essay you've been mentioning aspects of the quote, but try to have actual quotation marks so that you can indicate to the marker that you're directly answering the question. For young offenders to achieve recieve the young offender is not 'achieving justice', they're 'receiving' itjustice, the criminal justice system must take into account the negative circumstances children could be brought up in, which can result in children engaging in criminal behaviour.This sentence is a bit limiting and does not encompass the entirety of why young offenders should be treated differently. Although what you say is definitely true, I personally feel that mentioning "the vulnerability of children and their inability to produce a mens rea" is something that captures the topic much more holistically. Furthermore, this would stop you from clumping everything that you want to talk about at the end, which i'll get into later. In order for this to be effectively executed, the criminal justice system must treat young offenders differently to a large extent.THIS is the type of sentence that markers are looking for. However, mentioning it at this point of the introduction is a bit awkward. I'd recommend cutting this sentence and merging it with your thesis. The way in which the criminal justice system has handled the treatment of young offenders is expressed through the notion of doli incapax, the Children’s Court and the three-tiered system of diversionary processes alternatives to court Okay I don't know how others feel about this, but I reckon you shouldn't dump your main ideas in the one sentence, particularly as your closing sentence. Like I said before, mention the notion of doli incapax in the statement above. Also, save the terminology of the 'three-tiered system of diversionary processes', and use it for your paragraphs. For now, you need to refer to the words of the syllabus, so call it 'alternatives to court'. This also applies for doli incapax, it's a bit petty but the actual heading is 'age of criminal responsibility', so try to include that somewhere as well. This introduction needs an extra sentence which will capture your final judgement. Thus, it is highly accurate that the criminal justice system must "treat young offenders differently"

The notion of doli incapax reveals how the criminal justice system recognises the need for young offenders to be treated differently in order for justice to be achieved. In most cases, unnecessary The community and the law recognise that young offenders have not reached full adulthood, therefore limiting their capacity to recognise right from wrong and highlights the need for young offenders to be treated differently in order for justice to achieved. Try to include legal terminology such as 'mens rea'. It might not seem important to you, but it's one of the criteria which you are being assessed on. Also, try to bring in legislation; doli incapax is regulated under the Children (Criminal Proceedings) Act 1987 Despite the application of doli incapax being criticised, especially in high-profile cases relating to heinous crimes committed by children, the importance of doli incapax for young offenders to achieve justice, is highlighted in Thomas Crofts paper ‘Doli incapax: Why children deserve its protection’ in which he states that it is consistent with the principles of international law (Convention on the Rights of the Child) in which Australia is a signatory.Nice inclusion. However, your analysis is really lacking. Whenever you cite a media article, or a case, you need to say how this relates to the question. i.e. this demonstrates that the statement is highly accurate, as... Furthermore, the case of Corey Davis allowed an 11 year old offender to be acquitted, thus proving that the notion of doli incapax applies. This case could be fleshed out so much more if you put it before the 'despite doli incapax being criticised sentence'. Reason being is that it flows much better after your explanation of what doli incapax is. Also, the case received public outcry, hence leading you on to the next sentence. Just a quick note, proper citation of the case would be R v LMW, you can bring in the victim Corey Davis later in the sentence. Again, you haven't analysed your evidence enough - you need to show how it relates to the question. You can't just top and tail your judgement at the beginning and end of your paragraph, with no mention of it in between. Therefore, it is clear that the criminal justice system uses doli incapax to "treat young offenders differently", to ensure that justice is achieved. For further discussion, you could bring in Bronson Blessington, the 14 year old who was sentenced to life imprisonment. This would give you a springboard to discuss the different levels of criminal responsibility. i.e. Children over 14 are not covered by doli incapax, thus breaching article 37 of the CROC, which states that no child should be sentenced to life imprisonment.

The Children’s Court also reveals how the criminal justice system recognises the need for young offenders to be treated differently for justice to be achieved. Established in 1987 Avoid repetition as it disrupts flow under the Children’s Court Act 1987 (NSW), the court has dual roles that deal with criminal matters of children under 18 years and the matters of care and protection of children. The Children’s Court follows procedures laid out under the Children’s (Criminal Proceedings) Act 1987 (NSW), which acts as a guideline for courts to show regard for children, in order for justice to be achieved. The Children’s Court allows the criminal justice system to achieve justice by allowing children’s proceedings to be conducted in a closed court in order to protect the identity of the child, to ensure differing penalties and sentencing procedures differ from those of ordinary courts. This is evident in the case of a Geelong teenager “guilty of sexually assaulting eight women” being placed on a two-year probation in which the judge I don't know much about this case. However, if it was a JUDGE who determined the sentence, then it would not have occurred in the Children's Court. Keep in mind that it is a magistrate who presides here. ordered the boy to undergo a positive sexuality course as part of his probation. Again, you really need to analyse your cases more. Move this towards the middle of your paragraph so that you can have more of a discussion on it, particularly how it demonstrates your judgement in relation to the question. Ultimately, the criminal justice system uses the Children’s Court in order for young offenders to achieve receive justice. Feedback in this paragraph relates to the previous one - you need to be sustaining an argument throughout, rather than just top and tailing your judgement at the beginning and end.

Lastly, the three-tiered system of diversionary processes alternatives to court also enables the criminal justice system to treat young offenders differently in order for justice to be achieved. This thesis is far too repetitive - try to word it differently Under the Young Offenders Act 1997 (NSW), children who have committed an offence proceed through a three-tiered system of diversionary processes known as warnings, cautions and youth justice conferences. These programs allow children to have alternative punishments to traditional criminal processes and court penalties, thus allowing the criminal justice system to treat young offenders differently. The use of warnings allow children to have no conditions attached to their offence which is detailed under s15 of the YOA. Police can also issue a more formal warning in the form of a caution, which can only be given if the child admits to the offence or has a legal guardian present. Way, way way too much content dumping. You only need to mention content in your elaboration (where you cited the YOA the first time). After that, the focus should be on introducing media articles,
 cases, statistics which prove your judgement.
Furthermore, the youth justice conference allows the offender to take responsibility for their actions and to promote better family understanding of the issues. However, a report entitled “Reoffending among young people cautioned by police or who participated in a youth justice conference” reveals that the introduction of police cautions and youth justice conferences have led to a significant increase in recidivism rates. For example, in 2004-05, approximately 1,200 young offenders completed a YJC or received a caution, which resulted in 58% reoffending within the next five years.Analyse this statistic. What does this show? What's the purpose of including this statistic? Nevertheless, the criminal justice system uses the three-tiered system of diversionary processes in order for young offenders to achieve justice. This lacks a judgement. Is the statement you were provided highly accurate, partially accurate, or inaccurate?You could flesh out this argument with a more sophisticated discussion on warnings. i.e. Police discretion allows young offenders to avoid the court system. Children who undergo the court process are more likely to develop criminal tendencies etc etc..

Therefore, it is clear that the criminal justice system needs to treat young offenders differently in order for justice to be achieved. This has resulted in the notion of doli incapax, which considers the capacity for young offenders to recognise right from wrong, the Children’s Court which allows special provisions for young offenders and the three-tiered system of diversionary processes which allows children to have alternative sentences Lacks a final, conclusive judgement regarding the accuracy of the statement.

First off, a quick foreword that I tend to mark somewhat harsher than that of normal markers. Please don't take anything to heart, I'm a HSC student just like you and could easily have made some errors.

There you go, feedback is in red, suggestions are in blue.  :)

Overall feedback:
Your topic sentence for every paragraph is the exact same, with only slight changes depending on what specifically you're talking about. While this helps you in terms of simplicity, it becomes way too mundane for the marker. I'll also mention that your thesis is lacking a judgement. The question is literally 'To what extent is this statement true?', so your entire essay is supposed to be whether you think it's true or not. Based off memory I only remember a handful of times where a judgement was explicitly mentioned. Also, your analysis of media articles and cases are far too short. These are supposed to be the backbone of your argument, so it needs to be discussed so much more. You could easily achieve this by cutting down on your content and focusing more on the analysis of cases. Furthermore, you tend to bring in the case in your second last sentence. If you were to introduce it in the middle or near the beginning, you could easily have a more sophisticated discussion of it.

Strong points would include your structure, which I believe is the ideal way to answer this question. The evidence you provide are great (but like I said, you lack an actual analysis of them). Also, you clearly understand your crime content.

I would give this essay a 9/15. Reason being is that it ticks all the boxes in that range. In order to reach the 10-12 range, specific areas to work on are:
-Making a judgement
-Analysis of evidence
-Legal terminology
-Reference the statement! Use quotes to show you're actually including it in your response.
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

ATAR: 96.75

Need tutoring? Click here!