Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 01:54:00 am

Author Topic: UNSW General Chat  (Read 80162 times)  Share 

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
Re: UNSW General Chat
« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2019, 11:49:44 pm »
+1
I'm glad that I have Thursday off but I love how I have to walk from Burrows to Matthews (if only all my classes were in the lower campus ;-;).

I guess I just need to figure out where these theatres/rooms are lol

As for uni itself, I love it when I have nothing due in one week and then the next week I have like 5 things due 🙄
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2019, 12:04:13 am »
+4
As for uni itself, I love it when I have nothing due in one week and then the next week I have like 5 things due 🙄
Oh you innocent first year.

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2019, 10:24:21 am »
+2
Never got to experience semesters but really hating these trimesters.

T2 is looking alright I've gone from 4 days to basically 2 full days (lets just not look at the lec on Wednesday's)
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2019, 02:38:11 pm »
Just popping in here to say that looking at these T2 timetables are making me slightly jealous, given I've always had (effectively) 5 day weeks in all my uni timetables 😂
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

FutureLawStudent

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #94 on: March 30, 2019, 10:48:12 pm »
As a first year, trimesters suckkkkkkkk. Even my law lecturer (who has been teaching the same course for 30+ years) said it was ridiculous.

We'll see how a 2 subject term is before I jump to any conclusions (or another university). My T2 timetable looks a bit dense, but I'll probably if skip the Macro lecturers if its as easy as I hear it is.

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2019, 09:31:19 pm »
As a first year, trimesters suckkkkkkkk. Even my law lecturer (who has been teaching the same course for 30+ years) said it was ridiculous.

We'll see how a 2 subject term is before I jump to any conclusions (or another university). My T2 timetable looks a bit dense, but I'll probably if skip the Macro lecturers if its as easy as I hear it is.

Are you doing Arts/Law and taking macro as a free elective? or Commerce/Law and taking Arts as a free elective?

Also, curious on who your law lecturer is? My guy has been some High Court judge
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW

FutureLawStudent

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #96 on: April 02, 2019, 07:32:39 pm »
Are you doing Arts/Law and taking macro as a free elective? or Commerce/Law and taking Arts as a free elective?

Also, curious on who your law lecturer is? My guy has been some High Court judge
Arts/Law and taking macro as a required level 1 course for my minor in econ.

I have Vines (who I very much like). Selwyn is an interesting character from what I've heard, but I've also heard he has a tendency to just recite slides and give everyone 15 for class participation.

raghav_singh

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2019, 06:36:57 pm »
Hi, so for my desired course at UNSW the ATAR is 94 for Commerce/Media (takes into account HSC Plus Bonus Points). What happens if I get an ATAR of 93.90 or 93.95? Would that mean that I could still be offered a place in the course if there are spare vacancies. How does it work, I am pretty confused

raghav_singh

• Adventurer
« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2019, 06:37:46 pm »
Hi, so for my desired course at UNSW the ATAR is 94 for Commerce/Media (takes into account HSC Plus Bonus Points). What happens if I get an ATAR of 93.90 or 93.95? Would that mean that I could still be offered a place in the course if there are spare vacancies. How does it work, I am pretty confused

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2019, 06:43:25 pm »
If (having taken into account the HSC Plus) the guaranteed entry requirement is 94, what you said is correct.

(It's fairly common for the actual cut-off to be a bit below the guaranteed level. This is due to vacancies, like you predicted.)

raghav_singh

• Adventurer
« Reply #100 on: April 09, 2019, 06:46:38 pm »
Sorry RuiAce. I meant to say that the required ATAR is 96. If I get 93.95 and an additional two bonus points, lets say for getting a band 5 in Advanced English. Would that mean I can still have a chance of a spot in the course. Or is there no way, because I missed the cut off by 0.05

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #101 on: April 09, 2019, 07:07:33 pm »
Sorry RuiAce. I meant to say that the required ATAR is 96. If I get 93.95 and an additional two bonus points, lets say for getting a band 5 in Advanced English. Would that mean I can still have a chance of a spot in the course. Or is there no way, because I missed the cut off by 0.05

I'd say you've got a really good chance. Cut-offs are indicative, it is very common to get in below them ;D

justwannawish

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #102 on: May 23, 2019, 10:29:14 pm »
Hey guys! I'm feeling a bit conflicted over my situation at the moment.

The maths provisional marks have been released yesterday and I was kinda surprised about my mark for MATH1151.  Basically, the only way I got that particular mark is if I failed the final and I have to admit that I didn't expect to do that badly and did think I passed at the very least. Now, I'm not 100% confident about passing, I might have been overconfident or misread something. So I'm wondering what to do from here. Is there a way to check that this exam was scaled down or something? Is there a way to get the final exam back?

For MATH1151, you need to pass this course to go into MATH1251 and I passed so I'm good with that :) but I just feel so conflicted and a bit upset about the entire situation. I also looked at the maths remarking page, and have to admit I'm somewhat reluctant to go into remarking or review of the exam since according to UNSW, "there currently may be a fee attached to applying for a remark". I did apply for a remark of a class test and it went from 6/10 to 10/10 but I feel the tutor was just kinda absent minded and it felt more like a one-off time. But I feel like I owe it to my peace of mind to check it?

Any advice :)?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2019, 08:25:39 am »
+2
Hey guys! I'm feeling a bit conflicted over my situation at the moment.

The maths provisional marks have been released yesterday and I was kinda surprised about my mark for MATH1151.  Basically, the only way I got that particular mark is if I failed the final and I have to admit that I didn't expect to do that badly and did think I passed at the very least. Now, I'm not 100% confident about passing, I might have been overconfident or misread something. So I'm wondering what to do from here. Is there a way to check that this exam was scaled down or something? Is there a way to get the final exam back?

For MATH1151, you need to pass this course to go into MATH1251 and I passed so I'm good with that :) but I just feel so conflicted and a bit upset about the entire situation. I also looked at the maths remarking page, and have to admit I'm somewhat reluctant to go into remarking or review of the exam since according to UNSW, "there currently may be a fee attached to applying for a remark". I did apply for a remark of a class test and it went from 6/10 to 10/10 but I feel the tutor was just kinda absent minded and it felt more like a one-off time. But I feel like I owe it to my peace of mind to check it?

Any advice :)?

Before anything, you can email the director of first year mathematics studies (Jonathan Kress) to see if you can look at your paper first. Or ask him about what options there are.

Try to keep things within the UNSW school of maths and stats before going through official UNSW procedures.

justwannawish

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #104 on: May 24, 2019, 09:59:35 am »
Before anything, you can email the director of first year mathematics studies (Jonathan Kress) to see if you can look at your paper first. Or ask him about what options there are.

Try to keep things within the UNSW school of maths and stats before going through official UNSW procedures.

Yep, I'll do that as soon as the final marks are out. Even though there's a very small chance that the final marks have changed, I'm still hoping for something to have happened! Would you happen to know whether the university is open to letting student see their final paper? Thanks for all your help :)