Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:39:41 pm

Author Topic: Ask Monash University  (Read 336260 times)  Share 

iTry

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Ask Monash University
« Reply #615 on: January 19, 2017, 11:11:10 am »
Hi guys,

I don't know if this is the right thread to post this, but I plan on doing medicine in the near future. However, as UMAT didnt work out, I have chosen to do Monash biomed (for which I received a 1st round offer). I dont know if the new pathway into med from biomed is underway yet, but i just wanted to know how hard one would gage it to be. I've been told by many that it is extremely competitive (which i understand), but others have gone as far as saying that the environment is sometimes "toxic". Whilst I would like to go to Monash (as its a v.good uni and close to home), I also just want to put myself in a position where I can achieve my dream of medicine (hard, I know). I also received an offer from UTAS for medical research which is apparently less competitive, but i'll have to sit the dreaded UMAT again. Should I consider this pathway? How have you guys found Monash biomed and what path would you recommend?

Thanks!

Ask Monash University

• Official Representative of Monash University
  • Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Monash University
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #616 on: January 20, 2017, 03:56:14 pm »
Hello ,

I would like to know about transfers to Monash Uni Clayton if I am coming from another uni like RMIT
If I was to study applied sciences at RMIT , what streams would  i take at rmit ?? (appplied chem or applied science) to be able to transfer to Monash science
If we didnt get any credit would i still be able to trasnfer ?? we just need that 60% pass right??
Would mid year transfers or end years transfers be available ??

Thank you for any help
-nathan

Hi Nathan,

You're encouraged to choose the stream of most interest to you. Students can apply to transfer from another university’s science-related degree into Monash Science. Entry will be determined by a number of factors, including your Year 12 result, the grades achieved in your tertiary study (60% or higher), and the duration of that study.
Mid-year entry is usually available for our Bachelor of Science, although this is most suitable if you have commenced tertiary studies in Science. Selection is a competitive process and will be based on academic performance.
Monash University ATAR Notes team. For more information about Monash and our courses visit study.monash

Ask Monash University

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Monash University
« Reply #617 on: January 20, 2017, 04:01:33 pm »
Hi guys,

I don't know if this is the right thread to post this, but I plan on doing medicine in the near future. However, as UMAT didnt work out, I have chosen to do Monash biomed (for which I received a 1st round offer). I dont know if the new pathway into med from biomed is underway yet, but i just wanted to know how hard one would gage it to be. I've been told by many that it is extremely competitive (which i understand), but others have gone as far as saying that the environment is sometimes "toxic". Whilst I would like to go to Monash (as its a v.good uni and close to home), I also just want to put myself in a position where I can achieve my dream of medicine (hard, I know). I also received an offer from UTAS for medical research which is apparently less competitive, but i'll have to sit the dreaded UMAT again. Should I consider this pathway? How have you guys found Monash biomed and what path would you recommend?

Thanks!

Hi iTry,

First up, congratulations on completing year 12 and receiving an offer for the Bachelor of Biomedical Science at Monash.

Here's some thoughts for you from our team:

Biomedical Science pathway into Medicine is currently in place and is the recommended pathway into the graduate-entry medicine course at Monash University. It is definitely very competitive to enter a graduate-entry medicine program, although we reserve 50 places in this course for Monash Biomedical Science graduates only, and the remaining 25 places for Monash graduates from specified degrees only.

As a guide, students who applied in 2016 for the 2018 intake through the Biomedical Science pathway required a clearly in Average Mark (AM) of 79.89, taken from all year 1 and 2 Bachelor of Biomedical Science core units, to be offered the opportunity to undertake an interview and Situational Judgement Test (SJT) for the graduate-entry medicine course.

On the other hand, the clearly in WAM for interviews for applicants who applied in 2016 for the 2017 intake into the graduate entry medicine program was 81.39. This included applicants who had completed their Biomedical Science, Physiotherapy, Pharmacy or Science degree at Monash University and were competing for one of 25 places in the course.
Hope this helps a little with your decision.  :)
Monash University ATAR Notes team. For more information about Monash and our courses visit study.monash

Ask Monash University

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Monash University
« Reply #618 on: January 20, 2017, 04:03:41 pm »
Hi there,
   I am interested in doing Biomedical Science at Monash this year. If I have an planning to do graduate medicine in the future, what electives do you guys recommend me to do? From the monash website I know that I can only choose electives starting with the prefixes BCH, BME, DEV, GEN, HUP, IMM, MIC, MIS, PHA and PHY. From the atar notes forum, I know that CHM 1011 and CHM 1022 is recommended. Is there any other electives that are popular among aspiring graduate medical students?
2. Do biomedical students have to take electives  ( Monash)?
3.   Can biomedical students major/ minor in certain units

Looking forward to hearing from you soon! Thanks! :)

Hi Esthertham,

Students who are studying the Bachelor of Biomedical Science at Monash will need to successfully complete all the core Biomedical Science units to be eligible to apply for our graduate-entry medical program. Only results from these core units will be used to calculate the Average Mark (AM) to rank applicants for an interview through the Biomedical Science pathway. Your elective unit choice will not influence your eligibility for an interview under this pathway.

However, applicants applying for the additional 25 places in the graduate-entry medicine program will have their Weighted Average Mark (WAM) applied across units completed to rank students for an interview. Thus the results you achieve in your elective units will be taken into consideration.

You can read more about the Biomedical Science pathway into medicine and the requirements at: http://med.monash.edu.au/medicine/admissions/grad-entry/bms-pathway-applications.html

As part of the course structure of the Bachelor of Biomedical Science at Monash University, all biomedical science students will have room to choose up to 48 credit points of electives (8 standard units). You can choose further units in a biomedical science related discipline, or units from other faculties. You can even choose to focus all your electives in certain disciplines if you wish (speak to a course advisor about this).

Hope this helps!  :)

23serenity

• Trailblazer
  • Hi I am nathan
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #619 on: January 22, 2017, 09:09:27 pm »
Hello ,

I would like to know about transfers to Monash Uni Clayton if I am coming from another uni like RMIT
If I was to study applied sciences at RMIT , what streams would  i take at rmit ?? (appplied chem or applied science) to be able to transfer to Monash science
If we didnt get any credit would i still be able to trasnfer ?? we just need that 60% pass right??
Would mid year transfers or end years transfers be available ??

Thank you for any help
-nathan

Hi Nathan,

You're encouraged to choose the stream of most interest to you. Students can apply to transfer from another university’s science-related degree into Monash Science. Entry will be determined by a number of factors, including your Year 12 result, the grades achieved in your tertiary study (60% or higher), and the duration of that study.
Mid-year entry is usually available for our Bachelor of Science, although this is most suitable if you have commenced tertiary studies in Science. Selection is a competitive process and will be based on academic performance.

Sorry but what do you mean by this ?

, although this is most suitable if you have commenced tertiary studies in Science. Se

Does this mean If I start my first year with a science course?
So mid year transfer wont look at my yr12 results ?

And thank you for the info before .
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 09:13:17 pm by 23serenity »

upandgo

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #620 on: January 23, 2017, 04:40:59 pm »
hi  :) is it possible to study level 2 units as a first year (second semester) provided that i have satisfied the pre-requisites?
2015: Biology | Accounting
2016: English [44] | Mathematical Methods (CAS) | Business Management | Legal Studies

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #621 on: January 23, 2017, 04:49:40 pm »
+1
hi  :) is it possible to study level 2 units as a first year (second semester) provided that i have satisfied the pre-requisites?

Yes, definitely. For example, many students who wish to continue their VCE/ high school equivalent LOTE language, can generally get into level 2 language units straight away, There's no problem if you've satisfied the pre-reqs. Just talk to your managing faculty student services to confirm this (just in case) and enrol you into the one you want! :)
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

upandgo

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #622 on: January 23, 2017, 05:23:15 pm »
Yes, definitely. For example, many students who wish to continue their VCE/ high school equivalent LOTE language, can generally get into level 2 language units straight away, There's no problem if you've satisfied the pre-reqs. Just talk to your managing faculty student services to confirm this (just in case) and enrol you into the one you want! :)

thanks for the clarification!  :)
2015: Biology | Accounting
2016: English [44] | Mathematical Methods (CAS) | Business Management | Legal Studies

lyoko

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +51
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #623 on: January 23, 2017, 09:07:50 pm »
Hi,

I am interested in the Bachelor of Radiography and Medical Imaging Degree (Honours) at Monash and was wondering that if I was unable to obtain a position in the course, due to extensive number of applications, what other courses could I do which are similar to the course in terms of units in order to transfer to the course mid-year? Would the 'Bachelor of Science' at Monash be okay?

Thanks

Ask Monash University

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Monash University
« Reply #624 on: January 25, 2017, 01:37:42 pm »
Hi Nathan,

Most subjects in the Bachelor of Science will require you to have studied units in sequential order. As such, your units from RMIT will need to be assessed by the faculty to determine the equivalency to our first semester units.

Secondly, as you will have commenced tertiary studies, which is more recent than your year 12 results, they will be considered in conjunction with your Year 12 results.

Hope this clarifies it a little more for you :)

Sorry but what do you mean by this ?

, although this is most suitable if you have commenced tertiary studies in Science. Se

Does this mean If I start my first year with a science course?
So mid year transfer wont look at my yr12 results ?

And thank you for the info before .
[/quote]

Ask Monash University

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Monash University
« Reply #625 on: January 25, 2017, 01:39:30 pm »

Hi upandgo,

You can definitely study level 2 units in first year if your course structure permits and the prerequisites have been met. If you have any questions regarding unit selection, speak with your faculty student services.

Ask Monash University

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Monash University
« Reply #626 on: January 25, 2017, 01:41:43 pm »
Hi lyoko,

The Bachelor of Radiography and Medical Imaging only has one intake available each year, and because of this, transfer mid-year is not possible. One pathway is to complete at least one year full time of an alternative Bachelor degree and achieve an average of at least 70% to be considered for an interview. As selection is a competitive process, a higher average may be required to be shortlisted. Prerequisites of English, higher level mathematics and either Physics or Biology at Australian Year 12 equivalent or tertiary level must be met. There are no recommended degrees, although a degree in a similar field is recommended if you had satisfied the prerequisites through high school. You can read more about the selection criteria at http://www.med.monash.edu.au/radiography/prospective-students-undergraduate.html (will be updated later this year for the 2018 intake).

Hi,

I am interested in the Bachelor of Radiography and Medical Imaging Degree (Honours) at Monash and was wondering that if I was unable to obtain a position in the course, due to extensive number of applications, what other courses could I do which are similar to the course in terms of units in order to transfer to the course mid-year? Would the 'Bachelor of Science' at Monash be okay?

Thanks

lyoko

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +51
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #627 on: January 25, 2017, 02:47:06 pm »
Hi Monash,

Thank-you for your response. Sorry, another question I have is what is the clear-in ATAR for this course? This is as I was unable to find details on either your website nor the student handbook.

Thanks

Hi lyoko,

The Bachelor of Radiography and Medical Imaging only has one intake available each year, and because of this, transfer mid-year is not possible. One pathway is to complete at least one year full time of an alternative Bachelor degree and achieve an average of at least 70% to be considered for an interview. As selection is a competitive process, a higher average may be required to be shortlisted. Prerequisites of English, higher level mathematics and either Physics or Biology at Australian Year 12 equivalent or tertiary level must be met. There are no recommended degrees, although a degree in a similar field is recommended if you had satisfied the prerequisites through high school. You can read more about the selection criteria at http://www.med.monash.edu.au/radiography/prospective-students-undergraduate.html (will be updated later this year for the 2018 intake).

Hi,

Thanks

guest123

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: -2
« Reply #628 on: January 26, 2017, 01:13:21 am »
Hi Monash,

Thank-you for your response. Sorry, another question I have is what is the clear-in ATAR for this course? This is as I was unable to find details on either your website nor the student handbook.

Thanks
There's no clearly in atar as they look at your interview as well
2015- Methods (46)
2016- Spec (42), Chem (43), Bio (41), Eng Lang (36), MUEP Maths (4.5) ATAR: 99.25
2017- Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine (MD) at Monash
Message me if you're interested in tutoring 😊

blossum

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • 🎀 🌸 ☆ ~('▽^人)
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #629 on: January 26, 2017, 06:01:02 pm »
Hi! Can I do a first year unit in second year?
Backstory
I'm a little interested in atmospheric science, but have no idea if I want to major in it. I like to stay safe with my options so I'm doing Earth, Atmosphere and Environment I&II, Biology I&II. However with the Bachelor of Science I need to do a math. I dropped methods after yr 11 and did well in further in 12. Atmospheric science requires MTH1030 Techniques for modelling and MTH2010 Multivariable calculus in second year. My issue is that since I was bad at pre-calculus I'll need to catch up with the units MTH1020 Analysis of change and MTH1010 Functions and their applications. However I think it makes more sense to do them sequentially to ease into calculus and not both in the same first semester whilst taking MTH 1030 in second semester.
Visual
Can I.. do.. this ;_;
This is just an example of majors (atmospheric and plant science.. I don't know what I want to do :'}
//edit: I know each year is subject to change but I'm uncomfortable having three spare electives.. if I wanted to do two 8 unit majors and these math it only leaves three! Do people use these to just have some fun?

Also by chance did anyone do the biology bridging course that was introduced last year? I'm planning on doing it this year and I was just wondering if anyone had anything to say about it. Thanks ( ‾́ ◡ ‾́ )
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 06:05:15 pm by blossum »

2015: Bio
2016: Eng, Geo,
Further, Japn, Chem
2017: BoS @Monash