Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 02:20:32 am

Author Topic: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION  (Read 378631 times)  Share 

Pary_N

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +7
Re: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION
« Reply #870 on: September 04, 2018, 09:59:12 pm »
The date for Orientation Day for this year has not been set yet as it depends on the VCE exam timetable. On the day you will :

1) Meet the rest of your cohort
2) Find out what house and home group you are in as well as meet your buddy and the people in your home group
3) Play some get-to-know-everyone games
4) My favorite part - free lunch ! Cooked by the PTA and current students

They can be a bit daunting as there will be 200 of you and you won't know more than 5 of them ( if you are lucky ) but it is suppose to be an ice breaker and give you the opportunity to meet everyone. My suggestion is to circulate and meet as many people as you can since you won't know if you will share classes with any of the people you meet. There is no need to be shy as you will all be in the same boat. The worst thing that can happen is that you meet one person and you get on really well with them and you spent the whole day with them then find out later that that one person that you have made friends with is 1) not in any of your classes 2) decided to go elsewhere 3) turns out you don't get on with them as well as you thought.

If you can't make it to Orientation Day, you will miss out on a fun day but there will still be plenty of opportunity for you to meet the others before school starts at the Induction Camp.

Sounds like a lot of fun... Lets hope I can make it

Just a bunch of general questions about Monash... Do JMSS students get access to the Monash Library? Does JMSS have its own library? Do JMSS kids get to go on uni lectures sometimes? What other Monash facilities do they have access to?

What are the chances of doing a uni extension in y12 if you're a high achieveing student and love studying like an complete nerd? (I wear the label with pride hahaha)

Are there good leadership roles/extracurricular activities??

Also, apparently PE is compulsory in y10? (tears)

Anything else I need to know before I rock up lol?

Thx in advance for answeing my gazillion questions lmao
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 10:28:10 pm by Pary_N »
2019 - JMSS
2020 - Mathematical Methods [  ] Biology [  ]

paulthekiller123

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #871 on: September 04, 2018, 10:01:15 pm »
I didn’t choose Lit as a subject. I was wondering. Wait is choosing Lit a mistake

It's the biggest mistake a science person could ever make.

Pary_N

• Trailblazer
« Reply #872 on: September 04, 2018, 10:01:49 pm »
I didn’t choose Lit as a subject. I was wondering. Wait is choosing Lit a mistake

no no not necessarily, but choosing a subject JUST because it scales up is a MISTAAAAAKE

also why woulld anyone choose Lit when u got the SUPERIOR AND ALTRA AMAZING Eng Lang
( is it too obvious which English I'm picking for VCE? hahaha)
2019 - JMSS

turtlesforeveryone

• Trendsetter
  • Class of 2021
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #873 on: September 04, 2018, 10:04:46 pm »
What’s the liklihood of getting a second round offer for JMS?

I second this. What do you think they will rank us on in order to determine who gets a second round offer first?

KRAZR

• Trailblazer
« Reply #874 on: September 04, 2018, 10:15:03 pm »
I second this. What do you think they will rank us on in order to determine who gets a second round offer first?
I think this is the priority list
1. reports
2. how well you did in the interview
3. portfolio

RIP to me because I got trash reports so i guess i wont get a second round offer :'( :(

busybee

• Adventurer
« Reply #875 on: September 04, 2018, 10:25:44 pm »
hi !!

if i applied for jmss next year... do u think it would be a good choice bc everyone would be in friendship groups and have done the orientation camp and i wont have any friends...

turtlesforeveryone

• Trendsetter
  • Class of 2021
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #876 on: September 04, 2018, 10:31:35 pm »
I think this is the priority list
1. reports
2. how well you did in the interview
3. portfolio

RIP to me because I got trash reports so i guess i wont get a second round offer :'( :(

I'm so nervous over this! My year 8 report was really good, and my year 9 report was meh but above average. However I did somehow mess up my interview which is why I did not make it in. If the rankings were based on academics, I may have a chance, but I'm not too confident if they revisit my interview :/

annachan

• Adventurer
« Reply #877 on: September 04, 2018, 11:54:12 pm »
dont stress about ur report. I got accepted and i almost failed two subjects + i have a couple E's. As long as you worded it right, you should be fine.

quinn_03

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #878 on: September 05, 2018, 06:51:39 am »
+1
(I am in Year 10)

We can use all Monash facilities outside of school hours to my knowledge (we use Monash Sport for PE)... but we're not allowed to loan out books or anything.
JM does have its own library, but it's so small it's barely even and I've never seen anyone actually borrow a book from it?? It's very cute tho ;)
No to uni lectures unless you're doing uni extension, and I'm not sure how that process works but a lot of people do it in Year 12, I think something like 20-30% (don't quote me plz) so you'll be fine.
Yes PE is compulsory but we don't do any fitness testing (yet????) so it's chill.
There are a lot of leadership opportunities, extracurrics are mainly in music tbh but there are things like Parliament, Interact etc as well, and you can do interschool sport.
Good luck with results guys!

Sounds like a lot of fun... Lets hope I can make it

Just a bunch of general questions about Monash... Do JMSS students get access to the Monash Library? Does JMSS have its own library? Do JMSS kids get to go on uni lectures sometimes? What other Monash facilities do they have access to?

What are the chances of doing a uni extension in y12 if you're a high achieveing student and love studying like an complete nerd? (I wear the label with pride hahaha)

Thx in advance for answeing my gazillion questions lmao
2020 VCE
English [raw 50 + 60/60 exam score]
Literature [48]

Offering 2021 English and Literature tutoring + resources!

Galacticguard98

• Forum Regular
« Reply #879 on: September 05, 2018, 07:19:41 am »
I know atleast like 20 people who rejected offers so we do stand a chance

southmelbdimsim

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • School: JMSS
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #880 on: September 05, 2018, 09:54:05 am »
dont stress about ur report. I got accepted and i almost failed two subjects + i have a couple E's. As long as you worded it right, you should be fine.

I don't mean to sound sexist or condescending but the standard for boys and girls are different as far as gaining entrance to JMSS is concern. There are usually less girls applying and the school tries to encourage more girls into Science and hence the bar is set much lower for girls. I am not saying girls are not as smart or anything like that ( the dux of our year was a girl ) but this is just the way it is and its a disadvantage for the boys. Sadly to say with your academic results I would doubt very much if you would have got in if you are a boy. And just in case, if you are a boy, then enjoy the opportunity that you have been given and make sure that you don't end up in the performance management program.

southmelbdimsim

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #881 on: September 05, 2018, 11:29:57 am »
Do JMSS students get access to the Monash Library?
Anyone can use the Monash Libraries and there are many but there are restrictions on borrowing books, however some libraries are only frequented by couples so yeah don't bother trying to go to THAT library to study.
Does JMSS have its own library?
You do realise that the whole school consist of a 3 storey building and a basketball court? I can run the length of the school in 3 seconds and run the width of the school in 1 second ( okay I exaggerate just a little ) so you would understand that there is not a lot of spare spare. There is a room full of books but I wouldn't call it a library ...
Do JMSS kids get to go on uni lectures sometimes?
Why would you want to unless you are doing an uni extension subject ... but yeah anyone can go to any uni lectures, there's no security to stop you
What other Monash facilities do they have access to?
You will use the Oval and the Monash Sports Centre for PE. You will also have access to the Monash Wifi system at any of the Monash campuses.
What are the chances of doing a uni extension in y12 if you're a high achieving student and love studying like an complete nerd? (I wear the label with pride hahaha)
You will need an 70% average in year 11 in order to apply to do an uni extension subject in year 12. The Faculty that the uni extension subject belong to will either approve or deny your application. In my experience most applications are approved.
There's School Captain, House Captain, Sports Leader, IT Leader ... there's so many leadership roles just about everyone can have one ( in the words of Synchrom - if everyone is super, then nobody is ... )

Extracurricular activities include Swimming Carnival, Athletics Carnival, Battle of the Bands ( lip-sync competition ), Harmony Day, Talent Quest ( better known as the Lack of Talent Quest ), all the different Science Fair ( Japan, Singapore, JSSF ... too numerous to list ), Ski trip, World Challenge, Duke of Ed ( if you are into that sort of stuff ), and there are also subject specific extracurricular activities ( for example if you do Dynamic Earth, there is 2 x 3day/2night hikes ). There's also the usual stuff like choir, band etc. I am sure there are plenty that I forgot to mention.

The one extracurricular activity that you would like to avoid is the performance management program ... if your first semester results are not adequate, you will be invited to join the program where you will have your homework reviewed and signed off daily and your progress monitored by an an assigned staff member.
PE is compulsory in year 10. There is also Wednesday afternoon activities (compulsory in year 10 and 11 ) where there are many options to choose from and it is more than likely that you will end up doing a sport at some stage.
Since you are a self confessed nerd you should know that you need to achieve a 70% average across all subjects to be able to do a 3/4 subject in year 11. If you achieve a 90% average you can do 2 x 3/4 subjects in year 11. The option to do non-science subjects are very limited ( well it is a science school ) and you can forget about non-scored subjects ( just in case you were considering them ). The subject choice in year 10 is quite different from other schools. Maths and English is the same but there is no Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Geography etc, there are Dynamic Earth, Marine Science, Quartz and Quasers,Cells and Systems and many other non-traditional subjects and there are many different paths that can lead you to different VCE 1/2 and 3/4 subjects in year 11 so you need to understand these paths. For example if you want to do Bio 3/4, there is no Bio 1/2, instead there is a choice of 3 different subject you can take in year 10 that takes you to Bio 3/4 in year 11 or year 12.

Can't think of anything else but if you have any specific questions please ask.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 11:37:22 am by southmelbdimsim »

southmelbdimsim

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #882 on: September 05, 2018, 11:43:12 am »
hi !!

if i applied for jmss next year... do u think it would be a good choice bc everyone would be in friendship groups and have done the orientation camp and i wont have any friends...

In Year 11 everyone makes new friends because there is a mixing of people depending on their subject choices so it should not be a problem. However if you are racist and don't like Chinese or Indians then that could be a problem because the school is full of them HAHAHAHAHAHA

Pary_N

• Trailblazer
« Reply #883 on: September 05, 2018, 12:37:46 pm »
(I am in Year 10)

We can use all Monash facilities outside of school hours to my knowledge (we use Monash Sport for PE)... but we're not allowed to loan out books or anything.
JM does have its own library, but it's so small it's barely even and I've never seen anyone actually borrow a book from it?? It's very cute tho ;)
No to uni lectures unless you're doing uni extension, and I'm not sure how that process works but a lot of people do it in Year 12, I think something like 20-30% (don't quote me plz) so you'll be fine.
Yes PE is compulsory but we don't do any fitness testing (yet????) so it's chill.
There are a lot of leadership opportunities, extracurrics are mainly in music tbh but there are things like Parliament, Interact etc as well, and you can do interschool sport.
Good luck with results guys!

Thanks, that clears things up a little.
Also, random question, how do you find the whole 50 kids in a classroom? Do you prefer that to the usual 25ish in a class?
This second question is very specific lol but can you take Cells to Systems as well as Pharmaceutical Science in y10? I heard something about them running at the same time so you cant take them both (rip)?

I'm probs (99%) gonna have to miss Orientation Day (I'll be overseas). Does that matter? Can I just catchup on whatever I missed on camp?
2019 - JMSS

paulthekiller123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #884 on: September 05, 2018, 04:07:23 pm »
Could distance be one of the factors they consider while selecting students?
15 people from my school tried out (like ultra smart people) but nobody got in.

That wouldn't make any sense. I live 2 hours away, why would they pick me?