Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 09:08:36 am

Author Topic: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION  (Read 379996 times)  Share 

southmelbdimsim

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: JMSS
  • School Grad Year: 2017
Re: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION
« Reply #840 on: September 04, 2018, 03:05:32 pm »
I don't know what to do. I didn't get accepted and now I'm pretty depressed. Should I go for JMSS and EBSS next year? I seriously have no clue at the moment and my brain is dead.

But why are you depressed just because you missed out on being selected? Is it because you feel you have "failed" because you didn't get an offer? Do you feel that because you didn't get an offer, that you are "stupid"?

Without being condescending to the people who did get an offer, there is always an element of luck in these situations. This does not indicate that you are not "good enough" or not as good as the people who did get an offer. There are a range of factors that are outside your control that could have affected the outcome which is unrelated to you as a person.

There are good and bad things about JMSS staying at your old school does not mean that you won't be able to reach your full potential. Let me tell you about some of the negatives of JMSS. The school's only open space is one basketball court, for a school of 600 students. Have you ever try playing a game of basketball with 600 participates? The line for the microwave at lunch time can be so long that by the time you have heated up your lunch, lunch time is over. And the canteen food, OMG don't even get me started. And I never did quite get the whole point of "team teaching" with double class size ( 50 ). The list goes on and on ...

While everyone is trying to make new friends and settle into a new environment next year, you will be at your old school where you know everyone and all the teachers, already have a routine and can mostly be relaxed most of the time, competitiveness can get a bit tiring at JMSS, specially when some people are "sore losers" and even "sorer winners". And the travelling OMG unless you happens to live near the school. I felt so sorry for the people in my year who were coming from Point Coolk, I mean WTF they get up like 4am or sth to get to school.

I think the best thing for you to do is to move on with your life. So you didn't get accepted into JMSS, so what, you are not defined by the school that you attend. If you really want to, you can try again for JMSS next year or EBSS but frankly I think you might be better off spending your time appreciating your current environment and make the most of it than thinking about how your life has been ruined by an "random" event.

I mean I don't think it would have made that much difference to me if I stayed at my old school, my ATAR would still be the same and I would have still said that I could have tried harder, but I am at uni now and how I spent the last 3 years didn't make much difference really.

Bryan2003

• Trailblazer
« Reply #841 on: September 04, 2018, 04:38:39 pm »
Thanks for that, southmelbdimsim, I really needed that.
As for the JMSS test for year 11, does anyone roughly know the number of applicants applying? I want to know the odds of getting in in Year 11, heard its easier.

moderatefaith

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #842 on: September 04, 2018, 04:52:41 pm »
Hi guys, I got accepted into John Monash, and am currently at Box Hill High School in the SEAL (GAPP) program. What this means is that I am doing work on a year above us, e.g. in year 9 we use the year 10 textbooks, and do the same work as them. If I go to John Monash I will probably be redoing year 10 work next year, and even so the avg. study score isn't much higher than BH considering 66% of our school is in mainstream. My question is do you guys think it is worth going to John Monash, and if so why? I've got some great friends here but I highly doubt I'll have any trouble making new ones.

KRAZR

• Trailblazer
« Reply #843 on: September 04, 2018, 05:00:18 pm »
Hi guys, I got accepted into John Monash, and am currently at Box Hill High School in the SEAL (GAPP) program. What this means is that I am doing work on a year above us, e.g. in year 9 we use the year 10 textbooks, and do the same work as them. If I go to John Monash I will probably be redoing year 10 work next year, and even so the avg. study score isn't much higher than BH considering 66% of our school is in mainstream. My question is do you guys think it is worth going to John Monash, and if so why? I've got some great friends here but I highly doubt I'll have any trouble making new ones.
I wouldnt if i were you considering you are probably in a better place at your current school. Something you should do is list out the pros and cons and see if accepting the offer is really worth it.

Herman

• Forum Regular
« Reply #844 on: September 04, 2018, 05:31:24 pm »
Hey guys,
Do you think the personality of the interviewer played a role in the selection. I feel this way.
Correct me if I’m wrong

paulthekiller123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #845 on: September 04, 2018, 05:38:32 pm »
Thanks for that, southmelbdimsim, I really needed that.
As for the JMSS test for year 11, does anyone roughly know the number of applicants applying? I want to know the odds of getting in in Year 11, heard its easier.

Aye i got an offer from both JMSS (year 11)and EBSS this year and if you have any questions about it, pm me, I'll give you a whole paragraph on what to prepare for next year. Don't worry i had the same feeling as you when i failed a selective school test but as long as you work hard, it's highly achievable. There were about 240 students that applied this year and the test was for me quite easy because it had no English component.

I will have to disagree with some aspects of southmel's statement. It really depends on what type of environment you'd thrive in. Many of my peers in my classes have dragged me down because they do not give a shit about their academics and a competitive environment could be beneficial if you are willing to work hard. But it's all up to you in the end.

P.S choose ebss, jmss seems a bit dodgy... Jokes aside, Ebss has less competition because they can enrol up to 100 people and in the exam there was only about 180 that applied.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 06:10:25 pm by paulthekiller123 »

paulthekiller123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #846 on: September 04, 2018, 05:38:57 pm »
Hey guys,
Do you think the personality of the interviewer played a role in the selection. I feel this way.
Correct me if I’m wrong

Yes sadly

Fish21

• Adventurer
« Reply #847 on: September 04, 2018, 06:38:55 pm »
I thought i didnt make it because my dad couldn't find the email. i checked his spam and found it. I made into the school and i want everyone to triple check their email.  :D

Bryan2003

• Trailblazer
« Reply #848 on: September 04, 2018, 06:40:29 pm »
Hey guys,
Correct me if I’m wrong

I seriously think so as well. What teacher did you get?

Bryan2003

• Trailblazer
« Reply #849 on: September 04, 2018, 06:55:38 pm »
Aye i got an offer from both JMSS (year 11)and EBSS this year and if you have any questions about it, pm me, I'll give you a whole paragraph on what to prepare for next year. Don't worry i had the same feeling as you when i failed a selective school test but as long as you work hard, it's highly achievable. There were about 240 students that applied this year and the test was for me quite easy because it had no English component.

I will have to disagree with some aspects of southmel's statement. It really depends on what type of environment you'd thrive in. Many of my peers in my classes have dragged me down because they do not give a shit about their academics and a competitive environment could be beneficial if you are willing to work hard. But it's all up to you in the end.

P.S choose ebss, jmss seems a bit dodgy... Jokes aside, Ebss has less competition because they can enrol up to 100 people and in the exam there was only about 180 that applied.
Pm(ed) you =D

southmelbdimsim

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #850 on: September 04, 2018, 07:13:46 pm »

I agree with you about your class could drag you down but hopefully by the time you get to year 10/11/12 most of those who are not interested would have left by then.

But if EBSS is less competitive, isn't it better to go to JMSS because its more competitive and hence inspire to do even better?

paulthekiller123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #851 on: September 04, 2018, 07:27:13 pm »
I agree with you about your class could drag you down but hopefully by the time you get to year 10/11/12 most of those who are not interested would have left by then.

But if EBSS is less competitive, isn't it better to go to JMSS because its more competitive and hence inspire to do even better?

Well yes. But i forgot to mention that the amount of time it takes for a person to get to JMSS also accounts for their success in VCE. I mean i know people that wake up 5 in the morning just to get to JMSS and i reckon that is just a waste of 4 hours due to commute.
I might be a bit bias because i do live 2 hours away from JMSS and only 20 mins from EBSS. *However* nevertheless, my point is that selective schools definitely promote a positive and competitive working environment, where students all strive to succeed.

P.S. According to one of my friend that goes to EBSS, EBSS ranks higher than JMSS.

southmelbdimsim

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #852 on: September 04, 2018, 07:37:29 pm »

At JMSS, year 10 is organised differently to your normal year 10 at other schools. Effectively you do both year 10 and year 11 work in year 10 and hence everyone have the opportunity to do a 3/4 unit in year 11 regardless of whether you have been accelerated or not. It would take too long to explain but you won't be repeating much, if any.

I am of the opinion that if you are already happy then what is there to gain by leaving? Since you are already being accelerated and I assume your cohort is above average so you already have that competitiveness that some people need to push themselves. But JMSS does have opportunities that are out of reach of other schools, for example for my year 10 work experience while my friends from my old school was working at the local chemist or dentist or vet answering phones, one of my friends at JMSS was working at Monash Engineering doing programming on a project sponsored by Google. He even got paid and not the $5 a day the rest of us was getting. There was no way my old school could do something like that.

southmelbdimsim

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #853 on: September 04, 2018, 07:47:30 pm »
Well yes. But i forgot to mention that the amount of time it takes for a person to get to JMSS also accounts for their success in VCE. I mean i know people that wake up 5 in the morning just to get to JMSS and i reckon that is just a waste of 4 hours due to commute.
I might be a bit bias because i do live 2 hours away from JMSS and only 20 mins from EBSS. *However* nevertheless, my point is that selective schools definitely promote a positive and competitive working environment, where students all strive to succeed.

Yeah there were people in my cohort that came from Point Cook, get up at 4am and get home at 8pm, I don't know if I should admire their dedication or pity their stupidity, I wouldn't do it.

I do agree with you that ***IN GENERAL*** that a competitive environment can be good but my 3 years at JMSS tells me otherwise. I hope you are picking EBSS, its got to be better than JMSS ( only joking ... not joking hahaha )

paulthekiller123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #854 on: September 04, 2018, 07:49:44 pm »
At JMSS, year 10 is organised differently to your normal year 10 at other schools. Effectively you do both year 10 and year 11 work in year 10 and hence everyone have the opportunity to do a 3/4 unit in year 11 regardless of whether you have been accelerated or not. It would take too long to explain but you won't be repeating much, if any.

I am of the opinion that if you are already happy then what is there to gain by leaving? Since you are already being accelerated and I assume your cohort is above average so you already have that competitiveness that some people need to push themselves. But JMSS does have opportunities that are out of reach of other schools, for example for my year 10 work experience while my friends from my old school was working at the local chemist or dentist or vet answering phones, one of my friends at JMSS was working at Monash Engineering doing programming on a project sponsored by Google. He even got paid and not the $5 a day the rest of us was getting. There was no way my old school could do something like that.

Lmao my cohort is definitely not above average. (I'm in year 10 rn, EBSS next year)

But let's proceed, i think we can agree that your success is dependent on how motivated and happy you are. I mean how is that some schools like MHS and macrob have so many students that get such high marks? It's really obvious isn't it? It isn't because of the teachers, it's because they all motivate eachother. I reckon that there could be a lot of gain in leaving but that's just my opinion.