Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:57:16 am

Author Topic: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION  (Read 378426 times)  Share 

aloevera

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION
« Reply #660 on: August 14, 2018, 06:40:38 pm »
I'm generally a shy person, but I felt really comfortable in my group and contributed a lot of ideas. I'm rather concerned about the maths component and the one-on-one interview. I'm mentally and physically drained from thinking about it.

SChMurpel

• Forum Regular
« Reply #661 on: August 14, 2018, 07:05:41 pm »
I'm generally a shy person, but I felt really comfortable in my group and contributed a lot of ideas. I'm rather concerned about the maths component and the one-on-one interview. I'm mentally and physically drained from thinking about it.
lmao same, did you get that question for the puzzle about crossing the bridge with minimal one person holding the torch?
2020 - Vietnamese SL (33) / R&S (37)
2021 - English / Chemistry / Methods / Spesh / Biology

Mel1976

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #662 on: August 14, 2018, 07:06:23 pm »
Is it true that interviews are based on your academic performances? I heard one parent stating that her son’s coaching centre teacher told that if you are interviewed on day 1 or 2 you are sure shot in.

SChMurpel

• Forum Regular
« Reply #663 on: August 14, 2018, 07:22:20 pm »
Is it true that interviews are based on your academic performances? I heard one parent stating that her son’s coaching centre teacher told that if you are interviewed on day 1 or 2 you are sure shot in.
Somewhat incorrect because they might be all selective school students who are just doing it for the lols - probably that's why they have the interview stage

aloevera

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #664 on: August 14, 2018, 07:28:45 pm »
lmao same, did you get that question for the puzzle about crossing the bridge with minimal one person holding the torch?

Yeah I did. I'm pretty sure I misinterpreted the information because my answer was way off compared to everyone else's.

paulthekiller123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #665 on: August 14, 2018, 07:35:20 pm »
Lol never trust a coaching centre teacher when it comes to interviews, they don't know jack shit. The days could be randomized for all we know...

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #666 on: August 14, 2018, 07:37:19 pm »

I think it makes no sense  to talk about anything other then academics. Remember it’s a Science school not just another high school. You need to be academically way up then rest of the peers. They don’t care about your extra curricular activities like sports/music etc ,you should be able
To cope up with all scaled up subjects taken for VCE, that’s why there is a GD, Puzzle and interview round. Why not a sports or music presentation???
Also if you don’t have any academic achievements then there is nothing to talk but if you have them they go thru every certificate and ask you everything related.
Stop spreading this that academics doesn’t matter!!!! It really does and a lot of people will come to understand that once offer letters are sent out.
So all the best and keep yours fingers crossed if you think academics is not what they are looking for.

I can only speak for selective schools not JMSS specifically. However, I would like to say this is definitely not true.
I’m not sure how old you are but if you are in a younger year level, you will eventually realise the importance of extra curricular activities in your later years. Having things out side academics is not only healthy but vital to your progress as both a student and a person. This may sound counter intuitive to you now, but believe it not the majority of those who get the extremely high scores are not people that spend hours upon hours every day studying. It is the people that have a well balanced life in terms of extra curricular and out of school activities.

I do not know who your sources are but from speaking to teachers and principals at my school (selective) it is evident that they are looking for people that are not only smart, but have a breadth of skills whether it be sport, music, volunteering etc. They are looking for well rounded people, not ones who can memorise a textbook.

Please let us know if you actually have some sources supporting that JMSS does not care about things outside of academics.
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

annachan

• Adventurer
« Reply #667 on: August 14, 2018, 07:40:17 pm »
Who did you have for your individual interview? What was the teacher's name?

I had a biology teacher from Monash uni. She was chill af and super nice.

paulthekiller123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #668 on: August 14, 2018, 07:49:48 pm »
+1
I can only speak for selective schools not JMSS specifically. However, I would like to say this is definitely not true.
I’m not sure how old you are but if you are in a younger year level, you will eventually realise the importance of extra curricular activities in your later years. Having things out side academics is not only healthy but vital to your progress as both a student and a person. This may sound counter intuitive to you now, but believe it not the majority of those who get the extremely high scores are not people that spend hours upon hours every day studying. It is the people that have a well balanced life in terms of extra curricular and out of school activities.

I do not know who your sources are but from speaking to teachers and principals at my school (selective) it is evident that they are looking for people that are not only smart, but have a breadth of skills whether it be sport, music, volunteering etc. They are looking for well rounded people, not ones who can memorise a textbook.

Please let us know if you actually have some sources supporting that JMSS does not care about things outside of academics.

I wholeheartedly agree. If all they looked for was academic merit, i wouldn't have passed the interview.

SChMurpel

• Forum Regular
« Reply #669 on: August 14, 2018, 08:35:26 pm »
I had a biology teacher from Monash uni. She was chill af and super nice.
My friend had him  :o
I think I had Mr Mann he said he teaches Environmental Science and English

alpphabetboi

• Adventurer
« Reply #670 on: August 14, 2018, 08:39:38 pm »
I just went over the school's prospectus, and I'm wondering what's the 'Duke of Ed'? (co-curricular program)  :o

i did the duke of ed program last semester actually. it's basically three 'topics' (a skill, physical recreation and community service) that one must accomplish in three months and one of them is done in six months. for example, for the skill, i chose cooking which meant i had to cook one meal in an hour once a week for 3 months. in like the second term, we went on a camp with tents and hiking packs (quite the opposite of normal school camps) and it was definitely worth an elective... so if you get into jmss, i really do recommend it.
i will sell my soul to get into jmss 😤 jk but actually—

annachan

• Adventurer
« Reply #671 on: August 14, 2018, 08:54:21 pm »
the lady told me we get results around the 10th September AHHHH less than a month to go

Damash

• Adventurer
« Reply #672 on: August 14, 2018, 09:47:49 pm »
To those who currently attend JMSS, how long until they start contacting successful applicants. I’ve read that contact is made by 7th September with the outcome but just wondering if they do first and second round offers before that time?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 10:14:42 pm by Damash »

SChMurpel

• Forum Regular
« Reply #673 on: August 14, 2018, 10:14:34 pm »
I thought I heard ms trish-elliot said it was from 7th sep?

Damash

• Adventurer
« Reply #674 on: August 14, 2018, 10:18:57 pm »
I thought I heard ms trish-elliot said it was from 7th sep?

I read the 7th of September on the Enrolment policy document. The wait is agonising. At least we don’t have to wait too long.