Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 07:09:10 am

Author Topic: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION  (Read 379975 times)  Share 

Pary_N

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +7
Re: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION
« Reply #210 on: May 06, 2018, 06:38:53 pm »
What is the pattern of JMSS entrance exam? I have heard, exam includes Science reasoning and essay writings, along with standard, Maths and English. Is there anyone who can help with patter of exam?
Refer to the first post on this thread :)
2019 - JMSS
2020 - Mathematical Methods [  ] Biology [  ]

TryingToBeSmartAgain

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #211 on: May 07, 2018, 04:46:53 pm »
I second this. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask me as well. I'm usually active on AN and I'll be going to JMSS in 2018.
Hi guys! I know this is late, but does anyone remember what the Science Reasoning is like? Could you please give me an example?
Thanks in advance!

TryingToBeSmartAgain

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #212 on: May 07, 2018, 04:48:35 pm »
Hi guys! I know this is pretty late, but does anyone remember what sort of questions are on science reasoning? Could you please give me an example?
Thanks in advance!

NaCl_AU

• Trailblazer
« Reply #213 on: May 07, 2018, 05:51:28 pm »
I don't do much outside of school except for Maths tutor and a Fitness thing. Will this be a major issue?
Also, I've heard that the interviews are the most crucial part of getting into JMSS. Can anybody tell me what kinda questions they ask and how the interview stage generally goes? Thanks :)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 05:54:36 pm by NaCl_AU »

_jen_012.x

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #214 on: May 07, 2018, 08:19:39 pm »
Anyway I can improve my physics skills? Partically energy transformation as my current teacher doesn’t teach it well and while I’m not doing too bad so far, it’s my weakest field of science to understand. I’m more of a biology and chemistry person. I’m also wondering, what physics qusstions will be on the science reasoning test?
class of 21’

subjects: glopol (2020) english economics philosophy further

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #215 on: May 07, 2018, 08:45:53 pm »
Hey shadestache or anyone at JMSS, what kind of test scores did you get through high school?
Also, does JMSS get as stressful and difficult as I'm told? And will I still have time for games and friends?
I second the same things that quinn_03 has mentioned.

I went to a crappy school, so it was easy to get high marks. Things only get "stressful and difficult" if you make them "stressful and difficult". If you're able to manage your time well, have a balance in your life and can maintain a "mental stability" during times of stress, then you'll be fine. Obviously, you'll still have time for social life and hobbies. As of now, we don't get an insane amount of homework or anything. I'm not sure what Year 11 and 12 will be like, but I can only presume that it'll be hectic? Apparently the sacs at JMSS are difficult, so feelsgood. But even so, just remember that "it's not difficult, it's just new." If you take the time to learn new, confusing concepts that seem "difficult", you'll eventually get used to it and it won't seem that way anymore.

Hi guys! I know this is late, but does anyone remember what the Science Reasoning is like? Could you please give me an example?
Thanks in advance!
I don't really remember, but just think and respond logically. I've seen this question so many times that I don't really know how to answer it :') It's not very "concept-heavy", so don't worry too much.

I don't do much outside of school except for Maths tutor and a Fitness thing. Will this be a major issue?
Also, I've heard that the interviews are the most crucial part of getting into JMSS. Can anybody tell me what kinda questions they ask and how the interview stage generally goes? Thanks :)
The interview stage is probably the most stressful stage since the cut-off is significantly smaller. Since you're a Year 8, you should try to be more involved in things at school this year and next year. Just don't overload yourself to the point where you burn out.

Anyway I can improve my physics skills? Partically energy transformation as my current teacher doesn’t teach it well and while I’m not doing too bad so far, it’s my weakest field of science to understand. I’m more of a biology and chemistry person.
First things first, find a way to motivate yourself to learn physics. If you're trying to improve at something, especially if it's learning a new concept, you need to be able to focus. Lack of motivation and pessimistic thoughts are going to be the biggest hurdles. It's a lot easier to study things that you enjoy.

There's a bunch of resources online and different ways you can learn information. Books, textbooks, videos, articles, infographics, people (friends, other teachers, tutors, siblings, etc.), summary sheets, etc. Not everyone enjoys reading information from textbooks. Find what works for you.

It's alright to be strong in chem and bio, but weaker in physics. You're not expected to be good at all 3 sciences.

I’m also wondering, what physics qusstions will be on the science reasoning test?
Relax :P
When faced with a problem, you either find a way or an excuse.

karanwins

• Trailblazer
« Reply #216 on: May 09, 2018, 05:53:33 pm »
Hey guys,
We're one month away and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to practice for the Science Discussion Essay? I have no idea how to practice for it and I'm stressing.

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #217 on: May 09, 2018, 07:32:53 pm »
Hey guys,
We're one month away and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to practice for the Science Discussion Essay? I have no idea how to practice for it and I'm stressing.
English-type exams are difficult to prepare in that they are very grey. Idk, just try to get used to writing for half an hour long and formulating your ideas and sentences quickly.
When faced with a problem, you either find a way or an excuse.

karanwins

• Trailblazer
« Reply #218 on: May 09, 2018, 07:33:40 pm »
English-type exams are difficult to prepare in that they are very grey. Idk, just try to get used to writing for half an hour long and formulating your ideas and sentences quickly.
Thanks mate. :)

NaCl_AU

• Trailblazer
« Reply #219 on: May 11, 2018, 07:53:22 pm »
what are your study schedules in preperation?

_bxnourr

• Adventurer
« Reply #220 on: May 11, 2018, 08:49:57 pm »
Hey guys, just asking if I need to be doing other academic activities out of school to have a good chance of getting in? Does it really matter?

Pary_N

• Trailblazer
« Reply #221 on: May 12, 2018, 11:11:33 am »
what are your study schedules in preperation?

Honestly, I scheduled 2-3 hour study periods every day since the 3rd of May (I hadn't done much real prep beforehand) but I haven't really stuck to it so I've mostly done an hour a day on average. I've been revising maths topics and doing practice tests and I'll try practicing the science essays soon as well. I'm really stressed tbh I don't think I'm doing enough at all. How about you??
2019 - JMSS

NaCl_AU

• Trailblazer
« Reply #222 on: May 12, 2018, 04:02:01 pm »
Honestly, I scheduled 2-3 hour study periods every day since the 3rd of May (I hadn't done much real prep beforehand) but I haven't really stuck to it so I've mostly done an hour a day on average. I've been revising maths topics and doing practice tests and I'll try practicing the science essays soon as well. I'm really stressed tbh I don't think I'm doing enough at all. How about you??
My studying is just doing my homework (idk if that even counts) and reading my textbooks or actual books in my spare time. 2-3 hours a day is scary to me tbh. i should do more...

Pary_N

• Trailblazer
« Reply #223 on: May 12, 2018, 04:08:53 pm »
My studying is just doing my homework (idk if that even counts) and reading my textbooks or actual books in my spare time. 2-3 hours a day is scary to me tbh. I should do more...
Lolol consider the fact that I said I haven't actually been sticking to the schedule whatsoever  ;D Are you going to the exhibition night on Thursday?
2019 - JMSS

NaCl_AU

• Trailblazer
« Reply #224 on: May 13, 2018, 11:43:52 am »
Lolol consider the fact that I said I haven't actually been sticking to the schedule whatsoever  ;D Are you going to the exhibition night on Thursday?

I didnt know there was an exhibition night. Also, are you guys in year 8 or 9?