Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:55:21 am

Author Topic: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION  (Read 378425 times)  Share 

TheSapaInca

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +22
Re: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION
« Reply #60 on: December 25, 2017, 03:23:54 pm »
Dude, go for both. If you don't like the school that you're currently attending, then yeah. If you get into one of them, you can go there. If you get into both, you can reject one. It's fine to have a passion for biology and not the other two. You're not forced to love anything and everything related to science.
My old school doesn't do ICAS stuff, so I have no idea what it's like. You don't need to have a lot of prior knowledge in order to do well in the science reasoning, science prac report and science communication. You seriously don't. This is coming from a kid that tryharded for the test. Almost everything I studied wasn't even on the test (feelsbad). Logic is pretty much your companion for those science tests.
I'm actually at a private school
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 10:21:30 am by TheSapaInca »
Goal ATAR: 99.00<

_jen_012.x

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #61 on: December 25, 2017, 03:26:39 pm »
These tests are quite hard to prepare for except maths. I recommend asking your science teacher for help or buy a year 9 science test book and flick through it.
class of 21’

subjects: glopol (2020) english economics philosophy further

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2017, 03:35:05 pm »
I'm actually at a private school but I 1. Want to save my parents money 2. Meet new people 3. Be in a school where the subjects I like are taught better. 
Fair enough. It's harder to get into MHS at your stage, but still try (if you think that you really want to go).

These tests are quite hard to prepare for except maths. I recommend asking your science teacher for help or buy a year 9 science test book and flick through it.
I borrowed 2 textbooks from my science teacher XD
Also use Khan Academy, Crash Course, etc. as well.

Something that might be fun to do is to read a science article and write a science communication piece on it. A lot of kids struggle with the essays. You're given a lot of information and you have to write about it (with 5 mins planning time and 25 mins writing time).
When faced with a problem, you either find a way or an excuse.

TheSapaInca

• Trendsetter
« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2017, 03:44:02 pm »
Yeah, I'll try
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 05:29:04 pm by TheSapaInca »

mi-xao-14

• Forum Obsessive
  • GO BEYOND!!!! PLUS ULTRA!!!!
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2018, 05:22:38 pm »
+1
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!! 2018
How's your New Year everyone? :D

TheSapaInca

• Trendsetter
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2018, 05:52:59 pm »
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!! 2018
How's your New Year everyone? :D
Great! Though haven't been able to thoroughly study yet.

Pranshu_2k17

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2018, 05:23:59 pm »
I’ve read through many forums, but I still don’t understand the format (structure) of the 2 writing pieces. Any help?

Also, does the scientific reasoning test take a lot of time per question?

Thanks

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2018, 08:05:44 pm »
+1
I’ve read through many forums, but I still don’t understand the format (structure) of the 2 writing pieces. Any help?
Prac Report
You had to write the discussion component of a prac report. They pretty much gave you all the information you needed to know in order to write it. There were also a few questions that you had to answer in your discussion. So if you don't know how to structure it, follow the questions and you should be fine.

Science Communication
This one is kind of hard to explain and I don't fully know what is required to get a "superior-level" essay for this one. You were given a bunch of information and a prompt to write about. You were also given questions that you needed to answer within your essay. Not sure if my explanation makes that much sense, but yeah.
(I structured it like a standard essay using the TEEL format and somehow got a superior. In spite of this, I don't completely know how you're supposed to write one AHAH.)

Also, does the scientific reasoning test take a lot of time per question?
You have to complete 30 questions in 30 minutes. Speaking from experience, the questions don't take that long to complete. The questions aren't insanely difficult and you should have at least 5-10 minutes to check over answers, guess, etc.

hegihugo

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2018, 10:17:39 am »
Hey Guys, I’m not the best at science, but I’m really good at maths, and I can understand a lot of concepts extremely well, but I’m not sure if I should go for JMSS. Anyway, could you please give me some of the topics that are in the exam (maths), also could you please elaborate on the structure of the science essay and the other writing pieces?

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2018, 04:45:33 pm »
Hey Guys, I’m not the best at science, but I’m really good at maths, and I can understand a lot of concepts extremely well, but I’m not sure if I should go for JMSS.
Ahah, just think it over. It might help to write down your thoughts about MHS and JMSS -- see which one is more preferable.

Anyway, could you please give me some of the topics that are in the exam (maths)
It was pretty much Year 9 and 10 maths. I remember there being quadratics, factoring, expanding, algebra, indices, trigonometry and Pythagoras. To be honest, I think they made the maths test way too easy. So, you should be fine.

also could you please elaborate on the structure of the science essay and the other writing pieces?
Please refer to previous posts.

Pary_N

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2018, 05:58:48 pm »
Omg hi everyone I'm Pary nice to meet you all  ;D
I'm trying out for JMSS 2019 as well and I couldn't possibly be more nervous or excited. I've been looking around for extra info about the entrance exam + interview for a while but couldn't find much since apparently they like to keep it real private, but then i found you guys! Most of my questions are answered now so yay for that, but trust me I'll be asking a hell of a lot more over the course of the next 6  months ish. I hope we all get to be super good friends and hopefully be classmates in year 10!!! Honestly pm me whenever you want just to say hi or give me extra detail  ;D and i guess I'll try and update this page with any relevant info i find! ;D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 06:01:26 pm by Pary_N »
2019 - JMSS
2020 - Mathematical Methods [  ] Biology [  ]

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2018, 06:28:29 pm »
Omg hi everyone I'm Pary nice to meet you all  ;D
I'm trying out for JMSS 2019 as well and I couldn't possibly be more nervous or excited. I've been looking around for extra info about the entrance exam + interview for a while but couldn't find much since apparently they like to keep it real private, but then i found you guys! Most of my questions are answered now so yay for that, but trust me I'll be asking a hell of a lot more over the course of the next 6  months ish. I hope we all get to be super good friends and hopefully be classmates in year 10!!! Honestly pm me whenever you want just to say hi or give me extra detail  ;D and i guess I'll try and update this page with any relevant info i find! ;D
Ahah, welcome to ATAR Notes. If you have any questions about the whole application process for JMSS, I'll try to answer them.

Pranshu_2k17

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2018, 10:13:35 am »
Do you guys think it’s worth going to James An Tutoring for JMSS?

chooby

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2018, 10:58:54 am »
I can confirm that it isn't necessary. I was able to make it in without the tutoring program and I've had friends who did the program that both made it in and completely flunked it. Can't really talk about how they do it, having not done it myself, but can say that it isn't essential to getting in.
"It's not the building that matters; it's what happens in it that does" ~ Mark Conner

2017 | Biology [38]
2018 | English [] Methods [] Chemistry [] Physics [] MUEP Chemistry []

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2018, 11:14:54 am »
Just like chooby, I didn't go to James Ann for JMSS tutoring and don't think it's necessary. They apparently make the tests way harder than the actual tests, but you'll probably improve a lot on efficiency and knowledge.