Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 07:34:31 am

Author Topic: Monash Uni  (Read 2236 times)  Share 

I\'m Not A Robot

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Monash Uni
« on: January 18, 2019, 05:43:25 pm »
Hey so I wanted to biomed at monash this coming year but got 2.15 points below the monash guarantee... What are my chances of getting an offer in february?
Also, how do the adjustment points work? I know you can get a point each for doing methods, spesh, bio, chem and physics but where do the other 5 adjustments points come from? Monash says that you can have a maximum of 10 extra points for your selection rank.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 05:49:27 pm by I\'m Not A Robot »

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: Monash Uni
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 06:00:23 pm »
+2
Hey so I wanted to biomed at monash this coming year but got 2.15 points below the monash guarantee... What are my chances of getting an offer in february?
Possible, just not as great as a Round 1 offer and maybe slightly lower than usual given Biomed is generally quite popular. 
Also, how do the adjustment points work? I know you can get a point each for doing methods, spesh, bio, chem and physics but where do the other 5 adjustments points come from? Monash says that you can have a maximum of 10 extra points for your selection rank.
Adjustment points can come from subject bonuses and/or SEAS usually i.e. rest of it was probably from SEAS if it wasn't other subjects. Subject bonuses are added to your aggregate to give you new adjusted ATAR upon consideration for Biomed at Monash. SEAS are added separately and can be somewhat calculated via the SEAS calculator.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

I\'m Not A Robot

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 06:12:18 pm »
Okay thanks, so whats the point of the whole under-represented school thing that my teachers were always talking about, it seems to have 0 effect.

Also, say if i chose to do biomed at a different uni like deakin and transferred to moansh after a year, would i have to repeat that year of studying that i did or do i just pick up from where i left off?

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 06:27:42 pm »
+3
Okay thanks, so whats the point of the whole under-represented school thing that my teachers were always talking about, it seems to have 0 effect.
Students from under-represented schools can often get free SEAS points at various unis. Sometimes it won't seem to make much of a dent since you're from one of these schools and you did well enough that the SEAS points from this category are essentially negligible.
Also, say if i chose to do biomed at a different uni like deakin and transferred to moansh after a year, would i have to repeat that year of studying that i did or do i just pick up from where i left off?
This is called an external transfer. Usually what happens is, you'd have to do well enough in uni (usually needs 70+ WAM, closer to 75+ WAM to be competitive) for at least a semester to try transferring. Monash would then consider you amongst other people who are also trying to transfer into Monash Biomed compared to the places they have available. If successful, you might get a place from there and they'll tell you how much credit can be transferred from the, say, Deakin Biomed to Monash Biomed degree and you'll know from there how much longer you'll have to study to graduate. If you do an equivalent degree where all the credit is transferred across e.g. Melb Biomed transferred into Monash Biomed, then you'll just pick up from where you left off.

Note: If you're transferring after only one semester, then ATAR + uni grades will count to your consideration. If after a year you apply to transfer, then typically only uni grades will be considered.
VTAC Info Thread

I\'m Not A Robot

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 06:59:55 pm »
Hmm Okay, do you think that itd be a good idea to do science (my only offer) at monash and then transfer to biomedical science? Would that give me some credit to reduce the time it takes to complete the bachelors? Im really starting to worry now about wasting time, so im not sure if i should rearrange my preferences and put biomed at deakin as #1.

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 07:42:59 pm »
+3
Hmm Okay, do you think that itd be a good idea to do science (my only offer) at monash and then transfer to biomedical science? Would that give me some credit to reduce the time it takes to complete the bachelors? Im really starting to worry now about wasting time, so im not sure if i should rearrange my preferences and put biomed at deakin as #1.
Up to you. Most biomed courses are built somewhat similarly, however, internal transfers generally fare better than external transfers (using degrees of the same name as a comparison). Since you're comparing a Biomed degree at another uni (Deakin) vs. Science at Monash, with the intention of getting into Monash Biomed, they're pretty much of equal playing field in a sense. Both has its pros and its cons.

I think the best course of action is as follows:
1. Definitely accept the offer and enrol into Monash Science. (Who knows what other offers you'll get? And if you get none, you'll at least have Monash Science set in stone.)
2. Change your preferences in VTAC during the Round 2 Change of Preference times (before 4pm on Jan 25th). Make your preferences the following:
 (a) Preference #1: Monash Biomed (This is the one you actually wanted and wanted most. Keep it there.)
 (b) Preference #2: Deakin Biomed (This is your back-up Biomed course.)
 (c) Preference #3 - 7: Any other Biomed courses you're also looking at, if you are.
 (d) Preference #8: Monash Science (This you will have enrolled in Step #1 anyway.)
3. Wait for offers to arrive. In the meantime, decide what route you will end up taking i.e. Would you rather do Monash Science and transfer or study [insert other Biomed course] assuming you receive future offers for them?
4. See if you receive any offers (the new Preferences #1 - 7) in future rounds.
5. This is where things will happen according to circumstances:
 (a) If you somehow wind up receiving an offer for Monash Biomed (assuming this is still what you want to study most), then accept the offer and enrol into that and unenrol from Monash Science. Problem solved.
 (b) If you receive an offer for Deakin Biomed (or any other biomed course in Preferences #3 - 7) and decide to study that Biomed course, accept and enrol into that Biomed course and unenrol from Monash Science. Study Biomed there for a semester and attempt external transfer. (If you're scared of whether all the credit will transfer, I'd probably ask Monash directly either via Monash Connect or via Ask.Monash once you've enrolled into Monash Science.)
 (c) If you do not receive any more offers (although I hope you do receive an offer), then you will study Monash Science and apply for an internal transfer after a semester or two if you want to study Monash Biomed.

If you use this procedure, then you should be able to gain a couple more weeks to make your decision as to which path you'll be taking to Monash Biomed. 

(my only offer)
You only receive one offer per round. Seeing as Round 1 happened on Wednesday, you'd only have one offer. More on the VTAC offer procedure here.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 08:01:50 pm by AngelWings »
VTAC Info Thread

I\'m Not A Robot

• Trailblazer
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 10:14:02 pm »
Alright that sounds like a good idea! thanks heaps for the responses! i think ill go to Monash or call them about the credits!

:)

Also, im assuming that your a Monash student? ... but how hard/easy is it to get a WAM of ~ 80?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 10:15:41 pm by I\'m Not A Robot »

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 10:27:07 pm »
Also, im assuming that your a Monash student? ... but how hard/easy is it to get a WAM of ~ 80?
It's doable. The difficulty itself will vary from person to person, depending on personal skill and ability to adapt to university life.
VTAC Info Thread

I\'m Not A Robot

• Trailblazer
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 10:34:34 pm »
yeah that makes sense, since you're in your final year of science, what are you planning on doing after?

and which majors do you suggest doing??

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 10:58:16 pm »
yeah that makes sense, since you're in your final year of science, what are you planning on doing after?
I actually finished my Honours year (4th year) last year (2018) in genetics. I'm looking into mostly laboratory or research-type positions mostly in the long term.
and which majors do you suggest doing??
Something that both greatly interests you and will be as close to Biomed as possible, in case things stuff up in the meantime (touch wood it doesn't). If I were you, I'd have a look through the BSci majors list and consider them, but not get too in-depth yet. Exception is if you find one that stands out well above the rest. 

Note: I think this post is starting to delve off-topic, so if you want to discuss more personal experiences, please PM me. I'd be happy to answer there. 
VTAC Info Thread

I\'m Not A Robot

• Trailblazer
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 11:20:34 pm »
Alright, once again, thanks heaps for the responses.