Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:10:02 am

Author Topic: Jimmy's Law & Commerce Contemplations  (Read 8959 times)

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +154
Jimmy's Law & Commerce Contemplations
« on: January 01, 2020, 11:51:05 pm »
+13
Hello!

Well, who would've thought I'd be sitting here typing this. I first looked at the Law/Arts course at Monash way back at the start of Year 10, and despite not really understanding all the numbers or how they worked, the lowest selection rank number did have me a little worried. Through Year 11 I felt quietly confident, but safe to say that in Year 12 I hardly even thought about it. I got sick at the start of exams and part of me thought I'd be lucky to get a 90+, so to have received a December offer was such a relief.

Enrolling in the course was a journey, and I might even give Monash a ring tomorrow just to confirm I am indeed enrolled. I've currently listed Politics as my major study, but due to some technical difficulties around the choices of areas of study in the online enrollment for Arts, I'm planning to go for either Philosophy, or International Relations/Studies as my minor. Having International Studies/Relations and Politics might be a bit of overlap, but they seem somewhat different in the Course Handbook?

For the moment, I'm keeping myself busy with sport. A lot of the extra-curricular stuff I had during school has ceased, so I really have a bit of time on my hands before Uni starts! I've even started testing timetables, and it looks like I'll have at least one day free per week, potentially two some weeks, so I look forward to organising that! Really hope that happens sooner rather than later, as my work hours are generally afternoon/evening so I wouldn't want too many lectures running past 4.

Anyway, that's all from me for now! I'll keep this very active (I hope!), and it'll probably be more of a life journal than just a Uni one. I love discussion too, so if you have any questions or just want to start a topic of conversation, feel free to post in here!

Also, guess whose one year anniversary of joining the forums it is?  :o I managed to *not* get addicted to posting on here during Year 12, I don't think 2020 will be alike in that way.  ;D

Hope your opening day of 2020 has been an enjoyable one!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 06:04:10 pm by Jimmmy »
2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
Re: Jimmy's Law & Arts Contemplations
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 07:27:47 am »
+4
Hey Jimmmy!
So excited to see another journal from you! Looking forward to hearing all about your uni/life journey! What kind of sport have you been doing with your free time (who knew that existed)? ;D

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +512
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 08:51:47 am »
+4
Yessss Jimmmy! Law/arts sounds like such a fun combo and I am so keen to hear all about your university journey! All the best for this year and beyond!

P.S. Enrolment is such a pain isn’t it? 😂

VCE: Literature [50] Methods [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] Biology [33]
2022: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Economics) @ ANU

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 08:53:30 pm »
+4
Hey Jimmmy!
So excited to see another journal from you! Looking forward to hearing all about your uni/life journey! What kind of sport have you been doing with your free time (who knew that existed)? ;D
Thanks Laura! Love your contributions also. I've been playing quite a bit of Tennis & Cricket, but slowly easing into it so my body doesn't break down. Also gotta monitor some niggling injuries from a sporadic sports year in 2019 due to Year 12. I've never been one for contact sports, but I try to play as much sport as I can.

Yessss Jimmmy! Law/arts sounds like such a fun combo and I am so keen to hear all about your university journey! All the best for this year and beyond!

P.S. Enrolment is such a pain isn’t it? 😂
Hey Colline! Yeah I'm keen. I have considered Law/Comm, but am leaning towards the Arts due to the range of electives, and the fact I've locked in an offer for it already! Hence, experiencing enrolment....oh my, that was the most long-winded process!

In an update on the Uni front, Orientation Planner came out for Monash yesterday! Lots of selection on there alone, as well as a bunch of other meetup options I've spotted on the MSS facebook. Exciting things ahead!
2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 09:07:15 pm »
+4
In an update on the Uni front, Orientation Planner came out for Monash yesterday! Lots of selection on there alone, as well as a bunch of other meetup options I've spotted on the MSS facebook. Exciting things ahead!
I just had a sniff around the planner- lots pretty full on!
I hope you make the most of oweek- plently of free food and stuff, and imo it's worth going!

Looking forward to seeing further updates! :)
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 01:43:38 pm »
I just had a sniff around the planner- lots pretty full on!
I hope you make the most of oweek- plently of free food and stuff, and imo it's worth going!

Looking forward to seeing further updates! :)
Thanks insanipi! Would you recommend going on the O-Week Camp? (it's a few weeks before the actual O-Week I think)

Jigsaw

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +97
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 01:51:37 pm »
+3
Hey Jimmy! Best of luck with Arts/Law! Reading your post you definitely reminded me of myself when choosing between law com/ law arts. (Actually received a transfer offer to move from law arts to law comm at the end of last year, but rejected the offer!) I'm majoring in politics so any questions in regards to law or politics, please feel free to ask :))
2017: | Business Management [47] |
2018: | Legal Studies [50] (Premier's) | English [48] | Accounting [41] | Japanese SL [38] | Maths Methods [32] |

ATAR: 99.40 2019 Onwards: Laws (Hons)/Arts @ Monash

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2020, 01:52:35 pm »
+3
Thanks insanipi! Would you recommend going on the O-Week Camp? (it's a few weeks before the actual O-Week I think)
I've not been on one, but I've heard that they're fun- but I've heard that many of these kinds camps emphasise on alcohol consumption though!
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2020, 03:15:23 pm »
+4
Hey Jimmy! Best of luck with Arts/Law! Reading your post you definitely reminded me of myself when choosing between law com/ law arts. (Actually received a transfer offer to move from law arts to law comm at the end of last year, but rejected the offer!) I'm majoring in politics so any questions in regards to law or politics, please feel free to ask :))
Hi Jigsaw! Thanks so much for the well wishes. I vaguely recall posting on your own Uni Journal back in January, and as I look back, I did! Jan 30th 2019, watching in awe of your scores which I was aiming for. I didn't get near them (not sure I was quite capable of them to be honest, I hate exams!), but was fortunate to score high enough to get a spot into Law/Arts, so I'm so keen for the year(s) to come! I'm honored to have current VCE students ask about the processes I went through to get into Law, and it's such a good feeling to see the progression of looking up to former VCE students who followed the same path (yourself as a main example) and then being able to help the future graduates achieve the same goals.

I've still been thinking about Law/Comm, but still heavily leaning towards the Arts path, as I think an Arts degree is highly underrated and, from what I've heard, more about the pedagogy and holistic learning and understanding than a more results driven Commerce course. Definitely good to hear you've obviously enjoyed that first year of Arts though, does sort of reassure me that it's worth going for it over Commerce.  :)

Thanks so much for the advice offer for Law and Politics, I'll definitely take you up on that. I'm pretty set on Politics as a major or minor (probably major).

I've not been on one, but I've heard that they're fun- but I've heard that many of these kinds camps emphasise on alcohol consumption though!
Yeah, I've heard similar things. Considering I've been 18 for quite a while, and am yet to have my first drink, not really sure that would be an enjoyable environment for me.   :-X
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 03:18:47 pm by Jimmmy »

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2020, 04:49:02 pm »
+2
Hey Jimmy
Thought I'd pop in and say congrats on getting into Monash Law School!
All that hard work paid off. I, unfortunately, missed your VCE  journal, but I am for sure going to be around for your university one.
All the best for 2020 and can't wait to see future updates and your experience studying law.
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2020, 04:53:45 pm »
+2
Hey Jimmy
Thought I'd pop in and say congrats on getting into Monash Law School!
All that hard work paid off. I, unfortunately, missed your VCE  journal, but I am for sure going to be around for your university one.
All the best for 2020 and can't wait to see future updates and your experience studying law.
Hi Doc!

Thanks so much. Whilst my VCE journal was okay, I didn't put anywhere near as much into it as I would've liked due to studying and the other commitments I had (eg. school captain, debating, sport & other extra-curricular activities), so you're definitely arriving at the right time.

I see you've also got a VCE journal going, I'll go and take a look now!

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2020, 05:16:08 pm »
+3
Quick update!

Not much on the horizon, but I did managed to purchase a couple of Law books second hand from a friend, so I'm stoked about that! I've been advised not to start delving into them too much yet, but it's somewhat tempting...

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2020, 05:53:44 pm »
+1
Totally not a question full of bias 😬: considered linguistics at all?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2020, 06:00:49 pm »
+1
Not much on the horizon, but I did managed to purchase a couple of Law books second hand from a friend, so I'm stoked about that! I've been advised not to start delving into them too much yet, but it's somewhat tempting...
Yeah I would probably advise against pre-learning content - You'll have plenty of time throughout the year (and the next 5 to study) - definitely use the holidays to have fun and get some rest.

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2020, 03:41:49 pm »
+2
Totally not a question full of bias 😬: considered linguistics at all?
Welcome back Joseph!

It was a brief thought, but I'm honestly still feeling a bit scarred from my EngLang exam. Probably one of the most distressing memories of my life sitting in that room watching the clock click down and my mind being in all sorts trying to hit the heights I was hoping for. I know it shouldn't affect me, but it currently still lies in the back of my brain.

Yeah I would probably advise against pre-learning content - You'll have plenty of time throughout the year (and the next 5 to study) - definitely use the holidays to have fun and get some rest.
Define 'have fun'? I literally have no interest in clubbing or going out to parties, and I'm experiencing some withdrawals from doing nothing 'educational'. Either way, I hear Uni is a party scene anyway?   :-X