Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 07:00:11 am

Author Topic: Careers Education and Development - J41  (Read 13564 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: I'm planning to go back to uni!
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2019, 04:19:57 pm »
+7
If you've got questions about how uni works we have a section of the forum for that :P

Wow, this forum has everything! 😍

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2019, 05:06:15 pm »
+12
If I'm not mistaken, I should have learning materials (or something) available to me as of next week, and then classes start the week after. Or something. I'm honestly a bit confused about the structure of this whole shindig haha. I guess we'll see!

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2019, 05:14:11 pm »
+4
I thought about doing something like Careers Ed too back a while ago.... the dip in Careers would allow you to also consult as a careers practitioner in schools too if you ever decided to look into something like that. Can never have too many qualified careers counsellors in schools who know what they're talking about. They are pivotal as the advice they provide inform both students and parents re: decision making for future.

Good luck with it! Is it blended or fully face-to-face?
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2019, 03:56:40 pm »
+4
Anybody know how to automatically forward emails from Outlook to gmail?

I thought about doing something like Careers Ed too back a while ago.... the dip in Careers would allow you to also consult as a careers practitioner in schools too if you ever decided to look into something like that. Can never have too many qualified careers counsellors in schools who know what they're talking about. They are pivotal as the advice they provide inform both students and parents re: decision making for future.

Good luck with it! Is it blended or fully face-to-face?

Majority is online, if that's what you mean!

Thanks mate.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2019, 10:36:58 am »
+11
Got back from interstate last night, and had a quick poke around the resources now available to me. On initial impression, I think I much prefer Canvas to Moodle.

From what I can gather, I have seven modules for each of my units, and I kinda progress through them at my own pace, but I also have assessments to get through at certain times. Should be interesting, will keep reporting back.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2019, 09:19:45 am »
+9
So I'm watching my first lecture (not really a lecture, not quite sure how to refer to it) atm. It was on Thursday evening but was recorded. I guess it's more a webinar, where Course Leaders are presenting information and students can ask questions etc. by "raising their hand" or leaving a comment.

This session so far has just been introductory stuff, as all Week 1 sessions seem to be. Today and tomorrow, I'm going to try to sit down a bit and work out what assessments I have and when. I need to submit a calendar of sorts regarding when I plan to submit those assessments.

Once I have that sorted and feel a bit more on top of things (which I don't at the moment, which I don't like), I guess I'll have a crack at Module 1!

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2019, 11:23:02 am »
+4
So I'm watching my first lecture (not really a lecture, not quite sure how to refer to it) atm. It was on Thursday evening but was recorded. I guess it's more a webinar, where Course Leaders are presenting information and students can ask questions etc. by "raising their hand" or leaving a comment.

This session so far has just been introductory stuff, as all Week 1 sessions seem to be. Today and tomorrow, I'm going to try to sit down a bit and work out what assessments I have and when. I need to submit a calendar of sorts regarding when I plan to submit those assessments.

Once I have that sorted and feel a bit more on top of things (which I don't at the moment, which I don't like), I guess I'll have a crack at Module 1!
My uni says you can't hand things in more than three days late or they don't have to accept it.
Handed in my last assignment at the end of day 4.
Hope that makes you feel better <3
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2019, 01:26:59 pm »
My uni says you can't hand things in more than three days late or they don't have to accept it.
Handed in my last assignment at the end of day 4.
Hope that makes you feel better <3

Yeet. So what'll happen?

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2019, 08:48:39 am »
+11
I got through Module 1 for both units yesterday. It was pretty enjoyable - basically an online reader (with links out to other stuff as necessary), plus "Learning Notes" throughout. The Learning Notes are basically prompts that you respond to, which sort of force you to actively pay attention, which I think I like. Feeling a bit better about things now.

My units (not sure if I've mentioned previously):

HWSS2192 Professional Competencies for Career Development Practitioners (1)
HWSS2194 Vocational Assessment

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2019, 09:50:25 am »
+12
Quick update - have now completed Module 2 for both units. There's been a bit focus across the board on ethics and what it means to be an ethical practitioner. Module 2 for Vocational Assessment has started giving scenarios, now, prompting you to think about certain situations and what you'd do etc.

I had a quick look at my first assignment yesterday. Basically I have to select a sub-competency from CICA's professional standards of careers practitioners (CICA Career Industry Council of Australia - is the overriding body), and do additional research on it, set and complete goals to increase my skills, and so on. I think I'll do mine on labour market information, but we'll see.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2019, 02:31:14 pm »
+8
Finished Module 3 for both units. Focused on communicating with clients (and others) in one unit, and assessment in different contexts in the other.

Also submitted my first assignment, which is the learning contract detailed above. I ended up selecting labour market information, so I'm hoping to learn more about this in the coming weeks. We'll see what the feedback on the assignment is, as I don't really have any point of reference at this stage.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2019, 02:03:08 pm »
+10
One month later, super quick update just to not completely lose touch.

I've finished six of the seven modules for both units, and have completed my first assignment. I've been gradually getting through other tasks for other assignments, and have been assigned a group of five for one group assignment in particular. Can't say I'm a big fan of group assignments at all, but we'll see how it goes - could be a different dynamic given it's all online.

Anyway, I'm honestly giving this practically zero thought at the moment due to a super busy work period, so it's on the back-burner a bit.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2019, 07:03:57 pm »
+5
Can't say I'm a big fan of group assignments at all, but we'll see how it goes - could be a different dynamic given it's all online.

Nah - there are still the same frustrations. Even with a good group, it's a bit annoying not being able to work on your own calendar, y'feel?

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2019, 09:23:41 pm »
+2
Nah - there are still the same frustrations. Even with a good group, it's a bit annoying not being able to work on your own calendar, y'feel?
I do feel
While I have not been exposed to the terrors of uni group assignments, it is for the same reason that I dislike group assignments in highschool. Good to know that it doesn't change at Uni hehe.
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2019, 09:32:05 pm »
I do feel
While I have not been exposed to the terrors of uni group assignments, it is for the same reason that I dislike group assignments in highschool. Good to know that it doesn't change at Uni hehe.

Much to look forward to!