Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 03:45:30 pm

Author Topic: URGENT- VCE SUBJECT HELP  (Read 2167 times)  Share 

bratz_

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
URGENT- VCE SUBJECT HELP
« on: July 22, 2021, 09:32:12 pm »

Hi! So I have to pick my VCE subjects next week so I would like to get a reply as soon as possible. Anyway so I’m currently interacted into doing bachelor of science majoring in psychology  or bachelor of law/commerce. From research I have gathered that Universities such RMIT, LaTrobe, Deakin do not rlly care about methods. But main problem is Monash and Melb Uni (the unis I’m aiming for).

From what I have gathered:
- Melb Uni Bachelor of Science, at least 25 raw study score in methods.

- Monash Bachelor Science, no maths requirement. MAIN QUESTION HERE: However I have been reading other forums and this where I would like some clarification. If methods isn’t a prerequisite then why are ppl mentioning that in this degree I will need to complete a bridging course, specifically UNIT MTH1010 which would of been covered in VCE methods. Can someone clarify this? Basically I don’t want to do methods, so I’m confused about this whole MTH1010 extra maths unit thing!

Anyway and then Bachelor of Law and Commerce at Melb Uni and Monash both require methods :(

I’m alright maths students, I’m above average when compared to other students. But when I’m place in an harder maths class then that’s where I fall. I did advanced maths this year (YR10 rn), still doing quite well. Tests and assignments I do well, usually get 80-90% marks. BUT when we had our YR10 semester exam… and I completely died. I did so bad, got a 39%. To be fair a lot of other students did bad too, but this is why im afraid to do methods. I would hate for history to repeat itself. I have realised that the actual exam is always so much more difficult. In the future I imagine that I would have to a lot of practise exams and extension  questions in my own time since teachers only teach the most basic version of the maths.  I’m afraid that will put all my time into studying for methods just to end up with a study score less then 25  :-\

Anyway I’m a pretty high achieving student so the minimum ATAR is not a problem for me, it’s the methods prerequisite I’m worried about. So any advise on if I should do methods or further? I’m just worried that I won’t get into any of the courses i want if I do further. I mean at last resort, I might just end up at RMIT or Deakin.

Thanks in advance!!  ;D

Billuminati

• Science Games: Gold
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +127
Re: URGENT- VCE SUBJECT HELP
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 10:02:54 pm »
+1
Hi! So I have to pick my VCE subjects next week so I would like to get a reply as soon as possible. Anyway so I’m currently interacted into doing bachelor of science majoring in psychology  or bachelor of law/commerce. From research I have gathered that Universities such RMIT, LaTrobe, Deakin do not rlly care about methods. But main problem is Monash and Melb Uni (the unis I’m aiming for).

- Monash Bachelor Science, no maths requirement. MAIN QUESTION HERE: However I have been reading other forums and this where I would like some clarification. If methods isn’t a prerequisite then why are ppl mentioning that in this degree I will need to complete a bridging course, specifically UNIT MTH1010 which would of been covered in VCE methods. Can someone clarify this? Basically I don’t want to do methods, so I’m confused about this whole MTH1010 extra maths unit thing!

Anyway and then Bachelor of Law and Commerce at Melb Uni and Monash both require methods :(

I’m alright maths students, I’m above average when compared to other students. But when I’m place in an harder maths class then that’s where I fall. I did advanced maths this year (YR10 rn), still doing quite well. Tests and assignments I do well, usually get 80-90% marks. BUT when we had our YR10 semester exam… and I completely died. I did so bad, got a 39%. To be fair a lot of other students did bad too, but this is why im afraid to do methods. I would hate for history to repeat itself. I have realised that the actual exam is always so much more difficult. In the future I imagine that I would have to a lot of practise exams and extension  questions in my own time since teachers only teach the most basic version of the maths.  I’m afraid that will put all my time into studying for methods just to end up with a study score less then 25  :-\

Anyway I’m a pretty high achieving student so the minimum ATAR is not a problem for me, it’s the methods prerequisite I’m worried about. So any advise on if I should do methods or further? I’m just worried that I won’t get into any of the courses i want if I do further. I mean at last resort, I might just end up at RMIT or Deakin.

Thanks in advance!!  ;D

MTH1010 at Monash is for those who failed (<25) MM or didn’t do it. In some science majors like physics which is quite maths intensive, people have to do a maths sequence along it and the first unit in a maths sequence is called MTH1020. It lists MM as a prereq, so people who didn’t meet it have to do MTH1010.

BTW I heard many horror stories about Monash psych, like how they grade everyone very harshly to fit them on a perfect bell curve, they offer very unhelpful and vague feedback and the psych units are generally disorganised like hell. However from what I can gather it gets better in 3rd year and honours.

You can always recover from a poor year 10 exam score, you still have 2 years until your final exams and that's plenty of time to improve. It's best to be open minded in year 10 in terms of subject choices because once you leave MM, it's unlikely you'll be allowed back in and in the mean time, you may decide you want to do a course with a MM prereq. Have you spoken with your maths teacher about whether or not you should do MM?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 10:12:06 pm by Billuminati »
VCE 2016-2018

2017: Biology [38], Further Maths [44]

2018: Methods [37], French [38], Chem [40], English [44]

UMAT: 56/43/80, 57th percentile (LLLLOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL)

ATAR: 98.1

2019-2021: Bachelor of Biomedical Science at Monash (Scholars), minoring in Chemistry

GAMSAT September 2021: 65/67/86, 76 overall (98th percentile)

2022: Chilling

2023+: Transfer to teaching degree

beep boop

• Trendsetter
  • studying, what is that?
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 09:57:06 am »
+1

Thanks in advance!!  ;D

Hey Bratz,

In terms of choosing methods. I think you should just chose. Hear me out.

Pick it and try unit 1/2. If you try and you decide you don't like it, you can drop it. If you really don't like it you can drop it after unit 1. Trust me, its better to try out things rather than not do them and regret it later.

Though, the maths elective you choose is a methods elective, it does not give the "full taste of methods." Why? Until you actually do methods. That's when you know if its for you.

Good luck choosing your subjects

beep boop over and out
class of '22
'21: viet sl [36], bio
'22: psych, methods, spesh, chem, eng lang
"Distance makes the heart grow fonder and proximity makes the heart want to barf."-Mr K, Never have I Ever
yr 12 stuff :)

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 06:00:02 pm »
+2
Just my two cents:
- Science at UoM and Commerce at both Monash and UoM require Methods as a prereq. So will a Law/ commerce double degree at Monash (UoM doesn’t offer a double degree of this.)
- There is no Methods prerequisite or need to take MTH1010 unless you need it alongside a maths-heavy course e.g. plan to take a maths or physics major, as Billuminati has said, or you may need it in a course transfer to a course that has a methods prerequisite e.g. want to transfer to Biomed.
- That being said, I think the reason people have said what you’ve heard is because the Monash Science course does have a compulsory maths or statistics unit inside it. However, there’s a number of maths and stats units with varying difficulty levels, so you can still technically avoid methods if you do end up taking Monash Science by taking a stats unit.
- Since you’re considering both science and commerce at Monash/ UoM, I would be more convinced in you giving Methods a shot, with my reasoning being the same as Beep Boop’s - you really won’t know until you try it. Not only will it give you the benefit of the doubt, but it’s mighty useful regardless of your future pathway (even if you decide on a pathway without the methods prerequisite like law). The soft skills and the content in Methods, especially the way it makes you think around problems, is very applicable in daily life and still usable in all fields. And you’ll find that this keeps more doors open to you, especially given the diversity of your pathway choices. I wouldn’t let one exam dictate your choice; instead, try to seek help and discuss this choice with your maths teacher. (A personal anecdote: I sucked at chem and scored in the 30-50% range for quite a number of my Year 12 Chem SAC marks. I still went on to minor in chemistry at uni. Now, I work in a science/ health job that uses chemistry every day, so pretty sure I know what that feels like!)
- Trying it is better than regretting it later. You can always ditch or switch subject if you realise it’s not for you.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 09:14:34 pm »
Just my two cents:
- Science at UoM and Commerce at both Monash and UoM require Methods as a prereq. So will a Law/ commerce double degree at Monash (UoM doesn’t offer a double degree of this.)
- There is no Methods prerequisite or need to take MTH1010 unless you need it alongside a maths-heavy course e.g. plan to take a maths or physics major, as Billuminati has said, or you may need it in a course transfer to a course that has a methods prerequisite e.g. want to transfer to Biomed.
- That being said, I think the reason people have said what you’ve heard is because the Monash Science course does have a compulsory maths or statistics unit inside it. However, there’s a number of maths and stats units with varying difficulty levels, so you can still technically avoid methods if you do end up taking Monash Science by taking a stats unit.
- Since you’re considering both science and commerce at Monash/ UoM, I would be more convinced in you giving Methods a shot, with my reasoning being the same as Beep Boop’s - you really won’t know until you try it. Not only will it give you the benefit of the doubt, but it’s mighty useful regardless of your future pathway (even if you decide on a pathway without the methods prerequisite like law). The soft skills and the content in Methods, especially the way it makes you think around problems, is very applicable in daily life and still usable in all fields. And you’ll find that this keeps more doors open to you, especially given the diversity of your pathway choices. I wouldn’t let one exam dictate your choice; instead, try to seek help and discuss this choice with your maths teacher. (A personal anecdote: I sucked at chem and scored in the 30-50% range for quite a number of my Year 12 Chem SAC marks. I still went on to minor in chemistry at uni. Now, I work in a science/ health job that uses chemistry every day, so pretty sure I know what that feels like!)
- Trying it is better than regretting it later. You can always ditch or switch subject if you realise it’s not for you.
I want to add, it would be significantly easier to switch 'down' into General/Further than 'up' into Methods, if you concluded later that you'd need it.
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

bratz_

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 09:47:21 pm »
Just my two cents:

hey thanks for explaining it in such detail! So if I was to do science with a psychology major, would the maths and statistic unit be part of the science course or would I have to take a math course separately? Do u think doing or not doing methods would affect my chances of getting into Monash if it’s not a prerequisite? I don’t think psychology is a heavy maths subject, from what I heard it’s mainly statistics and graph reading which is more further maths?

It’s just commerce law I’m worried about.
also just in your opinion if I was to do commerce law, would u recommend Monash which is more sciency Or would RMIT or other uni be a better fit?

Say if I was to end up with a 40% - 50%on methods exams but got 70% on SACS, would it be possible to get a study score of 25? I’m just worried that the exam will be much harder then the class work and I will end  up with a 22 study score and end up doing a bridging course. Cramming 2 years of VCE methods into 12 weeks :0

My friend is doing methods in year 10 this year, I have seen her SACs and exams, she barely C answers 30% of the questions cos it’s so hard so she leaves in blank. I don’t want to deal with hassle of switching maths half way thru the year but I also don’t want to regret not taking methods. :/ I’m looking at the Cambridge methods unit 1&2 textbook and previous VCE exams and I’m mostly worried about graphing exponential equations, calculus, solving word problems. But I supposed dropping down to general is better then trying to go into methods.  ;D

Billuminati

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2021, 10:22:11 pm »

hey thanks for explaining it in such detail! So if I was to do science with a psychology major, would the maths and statistic unit be part of the science course or would I have to take a math course separately? Do u think doing or not doing methods would affect my chances of getting into Monash if it’s not a prerequisite? I don’t think psychology is a heavy maths subject, from what I heard it’s mainly statistics and graph reading which is more further maths?

It’s just commerce law I’m worried about.
also just in your opinion if I was to do commerce law, would u recommend Monash which is more sciency Or would RMIT or other uni be a better fit?

Say if I was to end up with a 40% - 50%on methods exams but got 70% on SACS, would it be possible to get a study score of 25? I’m just worried that the exam will be much harder then the class work and I will end  up with a 22 study score and end up doing a bridging course. Cramming 2 years of VCE methods into 12 weeks :0

My friend is doing methods in year 10 this year, I have seen her SACs and exams, she barely C answers 30% of the questions cos it’s so hard so she leaves in blank. I don’t want to deal with hassle of switching maths half way thru the year but I also don’t want to regret not taking methods. :/ I’m looking at the Cambridge methods unit 1&2 textbook and previous VCE exams and I’m mostly worried about graphing exponential equations, calculus, solving word problems. But I supposed dropping down to general is better then trying to go into methods.  ;D

The compulsory maths unit counts as part of your science course so you don't need to take an entirely different course, people who are less maths orientated usually take SCI1020 which is a stats unit. I've heard from mates in BSc that it is very similar in difficulty to VCE FM, with hypothesis testing thrown in. It's usually very difficult to predict study scores because your SACs may be scaled differently depending  on which school you go to. Like all the lovely people said, it's usually best to try methods because you can drop out of it easily, but they probably won't let you in if you decide not to take it in the first place, then change your mind. I have no idea how commerce/law works at Monash, I've only heard Monash is good for STEM whereas Unimelb is good for humanities including commerce and law (which probably means nothing as it is only a general impression).
VCE 2016-2018

2019-2021: Bachelor of Biomedical Science at Monash (Scholars), minoring in Chemistry

bratz_

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2021, 10:59:21 pm »
The compulsory maths unit counts as part of your science course so you don't need to take an entirely different course, people who are less maths orientated usually take SCI1020 which is a stats unit. I've heard from mates in BSc that it is very similar in difficulty to VCE FM, with hypothesis testing thrown in. It's usually very difficult to predict study scores because your SACs may be scaled differently depending  on which school you go to. Like all the lovely people said, it's usually best to try methods because you can drop out of it easily, but they probably won't let you in if you decide not to take it in the first place, then change your mind. I have no idea how commerce/law works at Monash, I've only heard Monash is good for STEM whereas Unimelb is good for humanities including commerce and law (which probably means nothing as it is only a general impression).

thanks for the quick reply and also ur reply from earlier on! Your advice and **angel wings and beep boop’s** have been very helpful.  ;D

Okay thanks for clarifying the maths unit course thing, I almost thought that it was a entirely separate course even tho methods wasn’t a prerequisite for that course.

My current year 10 adv maths teacher is one those laid back maths teachers who let’s you do most of the work independently following the textbook (self directed learning) compared to those teachers who have higher expectations and pushes you. He says that I can do methods since I normally do well in class tests but just had a few problems on the actual exam.  Ofc the maths I struggle with now, might not be so hard to me in 2 years time.

Oh nooo! Thanks for the heads about Monash psych, honestly super conflicted about which uni go to. Did u personally find methods hard? Methods is more algebra based compared to statistical further right?

It’s interesting how doing methods is recommended, however over 75% of highschool  students often choose general or just drop maths altogether. I guess it depends what course you want to do and Uni ur aiming for. Do u know much about RMIT? would that be a good Uni for business since Monash is more science.

Billuminati

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2021, 11:43:22 pm »
thanks for the quick reply and also ur reply from earlier on! Your advice and **angel wings and beep boop’s** have been very helpful.  ;D

Okay thanks for clarifying the maths unit course thing, I almost thought that it was a entirely separate course even tho methods wasn’t a prerequisite for that course.

My current year 10 adv maths teacher is one those laid back maths teachers who let’s you do most of the work independently following the textbook (self directed learning) compared to those teachers who have higher expectations and pushes you. He says that I can do methods since I normally do well in class tests but just had a few problems on the actual exam.  Ofc the maths I struggle with now, might not be so hard to me in 2 years time.

Oh nooo! Thanks for the heads about Monash psych, honestly super conflicted about which uni go to. Did u personally find methods hard? Methods is more algebra based compared to statistical further right?

It’s interesting how doing methods is recommended, however over 75% of highschool  students often choose general or just drop maths altogether. I guess it depends what course you want to do and Uni ur aiming for. Do u know much about RMIT? would that be a good Uni for business since Monash is more science.

My knowledge is only limited to Monash and to a lesser extent, Unimelb, so I'm afraid I don't know much about RMIT. Methods was kinda hard for me, I aced all my SACs but 2 horrible exams in 2018 brought my study score down to a 37. My teacher told me that VCAA is making all exams harder and more confusing due to the many people doing tutoring, which really disadvantaged me as I didn't have a tutor
VCE 2016-2018