Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:55:28 pm

Author Topic: Getting rid of those silly mistakes  (Read 1096 times)  Share 

(Noname):):):)

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
Getting rid of those silly mistakes
« on: April 16, 2021, 02:04:30 pm »
+1
Hi everyone,

As you all know, soon most schools are going to start their first upcoming 3/4 SACS for methods in term 2.

I have a problem with methods. I understand the topics and content, so I know how to approach most (around 3/4) of the questions on the practice tests that my school has given me so far.
But the thing is, I make errors with my answer. Like a lot. I've tried to reduce these mistakes by checking over questions twice before continuing, and even keeping a journal about the types of mistakes I make. It's usually things like calculation mistakes or writing in the wrong units (such as degrees instead of radians). But the silly mistakes accumulate until I end up with like 75% when I could have gotten 90.

Is there like a "fail-proof" method to reduce these silly mistakes? I understand that some are just inevitable but I am making quite a bit of them. All advice is appreciated, thanks.

Danzorr

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +4
Re: Getting rid of those silly mistakes
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 02:35:19 pm »
+6
For reducing careless mistakes, you have to figure out why those mistakes are occurring. Personally, I found that I tended to make more mistakes due to losing focus and so to resolve this issue, I would make a conscientious effort to state what I was writing.

Another reason for making careless mistakes could be due to doing too many steps in your head at once. For example, doing all the algebra to find the inverse of a function, and domain/range all at once. So to resolve this issue, I would recommend just writing down each step at a time, even if it takes a bit longer.

Also, if you have a time, I would highly recommend checking your answer after doing each question which could be through ensuring each step is correct, using your common sense (e.g, you end up getting a negative answer for time) or, try doing the question with a different method.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 02:37:10 pm by Danzorr »

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 03:56:40 pm »
+3
Read each question three times before you answer or begin to answer.
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 05:05:00 pm »
+6
This is difficult when there's a lot of time pressure, but I found it really helpful to cover up my working out and re-do the questions after I'd finished all the questions in the SAC/test. Because I feel like it's easy to skim over working out passively without really catching errors you've made, so if you have questions with a lot of steps you could have made silly mistakes on, hide your working out and do the questions again like it's the first time you've done it.
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)