Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 03:06:08 pm

Author Topic: Is it too late for me to become a book enthusiast?  (Read 5060 times)

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
Is it too late for me to become a book enthusiast?
« on: March 27, 2021, 07:14:56 pm »
Up to this point in my life, the only books I recall reading are textbooks, required reading for English, some self-help books and the Bible. Never considered myself an avid reader. Also, it doesn't help that my attention span is quite short. I've never really tried to immerse myself in the fiction genre. I've never really found it interesting.

The reason why I want to try reading for leisure is because I struggle to sleep at a reasonable time. Maybe instead of looking at a glowing screen, I can look at a book and get lost in the pages. But I'm also not sure about what kind of book I would like. Anyone got any recommendations for where I can start?
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

Always_Tired

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Is it too late for me to become a book enthusiast?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 07:34:32 pm »
Do you have any specific genres you enjoy (in movies/tv shows/games/etc.)? That would be the best place to start imo. Or anything specific you're looking for that you think would make the book more readable for you, such as a faster pace, not having too much prose/description etc.?

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 07:43:29 pm »
+7
I was the same until year 10, when the internet went out for a few hours and I discovered a good book. To me, books were never entertaining, they were something you read for a task, however, once I found a book that I actually enjoyed and wanted to read it sparked my love of reading. Originally, I found that if I wasn't interested in the book, I wouldn't read it, now that I've had experience with reading a broad range of books, i'll literally read almost anything.

Start small. What do you enjoy to watch on TV? What genres of content do you enjoy? Find books that are entertaining and something you are dying to keep turning the page for. Once you find that book, hopefully it will kick of a sense of enthusiasm in reading. It took time for me, to become a book hater to book lover, so patience is a virtue when trying to learn what you like.

Also, even if you have trouble getting to sleep, for me, I find if it's a good book, i'll binge read it till i've finished and oh wait it's 4 am already! So not sure if it would be great for sleep, but give it a go, I know it works for some people!

Another thing I kept in mind, is with TV or Movies they don't explore all the topics I want to enjoy, e.g fantasy/sci fi, so books give me the option to enjoy stories i'm interested, and the best thing is there is not CGI budget to look out for! Good luck, it's never too late to find a love for books, you just have read the right one yet.
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 08:21:25 pm »
+5
Short answer: never too late!
Try reading books that spark your interest. Given that you say you've read the Bible, you might like to try my perennial favourite series, which is available freely online as ebooks, the Chronicles of Narnia. They're Christian not-really-allegories (it does refer obliquely to Christ, but otherwise doesn't) about the magical land of Narnia, which is accessed variously from our world by the eight Friends of Narnia, when Narnia needs them and Aslan the great Lion calls them.

Just try reading different types of books and see what you enjoy. :)
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2021, 10:44:20 pm »
+5
Up to this point in my life, the only books I recall reading are textbooks, required reading for English, some self-help books and the Bible. Never considered myself an avid reader. Also, it doesn't help that my attention span is quite short. I've never really tried to immerse myself in the fiction genre. I've never really found it interesting.

The reason why I want to try reading for leisure is because I struggle to sleep at a reasonable time. Maybe instead of looking at a glowing screen, I can look at a book and get lost in the pages. But I'm also not sure about what kind of book I would like. Anyone got any recommendations for where I can start?
Never ever too late!

I have many different recommendations - stemming from scifi to contemporary to fantasy, if you like :)

Edit:
Fantasy: Maria V Snyder's Ixia/Study series, VE Schwab's A Darker Shade of Magic series, Astrid Scholte's Four Dead Queens

SciFi: Christopher Paolini's To Sleep in a Sea of Stars, Emily Suvada's This Mortal Coil series, S.J. Kincaid's Insignia series, Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff's Illuminae series, KH Canobi's Mindcull

Mystery/Thriller: Sarah Epstein's Small Spaces and Deep Water, any Agatha Christie, any Ellie Marney

Contemporary: Leanne Hall's The Gaps, Nina Kenwood's It Sounded Better in My Head, Wai Chim's The Power of a Good Dumpling

Poetry: Any of Sarah Crossan's, any of Rupi Kaurs

Hope some of these sound good to you!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 10:52:24 pm by insanipi »
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

reakes02

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 05:35:00 am »
+1
5 Classic Books that Everyone Should Read At Least Once

1. The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
2. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.
3. The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R Tolkien.
4. A wrinkle in time by Madeleine L'Engle.
5. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling.

Lincoln Brooks

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2021, 08:47:03 pm »
I am currently reading Les Misérables is a French historical novel by Victor Hugo. An excellent book of the era of classicism that allows you to understand, answer yourself to questions about honor, morality and goodness. Now I get a lot of assignments in mathematics at the university, which take a lot of time. Because of this, I cannot read as much of my favorite fiction as before. I am helped by the company https://assignmentbro.com/us/math-assignment-help which offloads my time a little and allows me to read more for enjoyment and not for learning.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 09:19:46 pm by Lincoln Brooks »

Lincoln Brooks

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2021, 07:39:03 pm »
+1
Hi,

I don't think it's too late to get into enjoying reading for fun.
You could try reading young adult fiction books as they describe the lives of young people which you may find relatable.

Coming of age novels which are also classics that I would recommend as they're not too challenging:
- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott.
- Montana 1948 by Larry Watson
- The Great Gatsby by  F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck is a great book.