Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 07:15:03 pm

Author Topic: After Year 12: Q & A Thread  (Read 18439 times)  Share 

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
After Year 12: Q & A Thread
« on: November 30, 2018, 01:38:35 pm »
+15

This thread will open once the Q & A begins.

AFTER YEAR 12 Q & A
Time: 14th December+
Hosted by Angel Wings and various mods

Hey everyone!

In this Q & A thread, we’ll be answering those questions about what comes next after Year 12.

With ATARs (and a lot of emotions) released, we’ll aim to answer your questions about university, tertiary education, VTAC/ UAC/ other state equivalents and careers-related questions. From “I’m unsure what I want to study anymore and want to take a gap year. How do I do that?” to “Can I still get into [insert course] at [insert institution]?”, we’ll take them all! You don’t even have to be a Year 12 Class of 2018 student to join! If you're in Year 11 or younger and have any questions regarding what happens after Year 12 or simply what life is like after high school ends, feel free to ask your questions when this Q & A begins.

If you don’t have one already, register for an account and log in to join in on December 14th.

See you then! Thread is now open! ;D
This thread will be unlocked around December 14 12:01am and will be closing again at around December 16 11:59pm.
Between these 3 days, please feel free to ask any questions about what happens after Year 12.
We'll be happy to answer questions and provide advice!

Some helpful resources:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 03:56:38 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
Re: After Year 12: Q & A Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 12:30:16 am »
+9
I declare thee open.
Please feel free to place your questions below. :)
VTAC Info Thread

waldo

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 08:51:32 am »
can i still apply for a course if i got one mark below the prerequisite?

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 08:57:08 am »
+2
can i still apply for a course if i got one mark below the prerequisite?
Hey Waldo! I’ve seen this happen before and it breaks my heart to tell you that sadly, no, you won’t be able to. The fortunate thing is bridging courses and trying similar courses with lower prereqs then transferring into your desired course are totally an option here!
VTAC Info Thread

userrrname

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 09:03:47 am »
Hey Waldo! I’ve seen this happen before and it breaks my heart to tell you that sadly, no, you won’t be able to. The fortunate thing is bridging courses and trying similar courses with lower prereqs then transferring into your desired course are totally an option here!
Is this for all circumstances? Because my friend got a 23 in methods last year, which was a prerequisite for a bachelor of science at Melbourne Uni however she still got an offer...

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 09:26:57 am »
Is this for all circumstances? Because my friend got a 23 in methods last year, which was a prerequisite for a bachelor of science at Melbourne Uni however she still got an offer...
That’s really unusual and a really rare circumstance. I’ve actually never seen your friend’s case ever happen...
VTAC Info Thread

userrrname

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 09:57:23 am »
That’s really unusual and a really rare circumstance. I’ve actually never seen your friend’s case ever happen...
What would I gain out of just making this up... I’m just trying to understand just how set in stone prerequisites are. She went to a disadvantaged school and had the Access Melbourne thing as well if that’s any help. I think people should still keep their preferences regardless if they satisfy the prereqs or not and just wait and see.

Maya24

• MOTM: OCT 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +114
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 10:29:15 am »
If my atar was below the required atar yet it was higher than the lowest atar accepted, do I still have a chance of getting into my course?

Thanks

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 10:33:18 am »
If my atar was below the required atar yet it was higher than the lowest atar accepted, do I still have a chance of getting into my course?

Thanks

even if it's below the clearly-in (the "required" ATAR) you still have a chance, especially if you have bonus points and/or SEAS

IFailedYr12

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2018, 10:35:25 am »
Hi,

I got a 73.85 ATAR.

I also received an email from Monash  of being eligible for their Monash Guarantee.

Since the courses I'm looking at have a guarantee of 75, should I wait for round 1?

Cheers.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2018, 10:38:22 am »
Hi,

I got a 73.85 ATAR.

I also received an email from Monash  of being eligible for their Monash Guarantee.

Since the courses I'm looking at have a guarantee of 75, should I wait for round 1?

Cheers.
It's still possible that you'll get in through round 1, you just aren't eligible for a guaranteed offer. If that's the course you really want to do then you should still leave it as your first preference, however you should consider also having courses in your preference list that have a lower entry requirement in case you miss out. So yeah, just do your preferences as per normal - it just means that you aren't guaranteed an offer as you would be if you had gotten 75.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 10:44:16 am »
Hi,

I got a 73.85 ATAR.

Cheers.

For the guarantee your ATAR before SEAS adjustments is used, so unfortunately you won't be able to get in using the guarantee (as PF said). However, your SEAS adjusted ATAR may be enough to meet the clearly in. You can use this to estimate your SEAS adjusted ATAR for Monash.

I recommend leaving your courses in order of preference in case SEAS gives you enough adjustment to get in on round one.
If you haven't already, you may also wish to add a course with a clearly-in below 73 to your preference list

Good luck, and I hope this helps

(also: re your username. Getting an ATAR means you didn't fail VCE.)

IFailedYr12

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2018, 10:58:19 am »
 I put in 3 or 2 categories of SEAS

Will it be anough?

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2018, 11:01:21 am »
+3
For LaurenRoth18
Hi AngelWings! Thank you for making this Q&A thread.
No worries.
Just wondering, if I have a graduate degree package for Melbourne Uni in my course application, and I have fulfilled all prereqs and have gotten above the minimum atar, does that mean I am guaranteed into that course, even though I haven’t received an offer yet?
Short answer: You have a very high chance of getting in, but I can't guarantee with 100% certainty that you'll get the course (probability will be really high though). However, it's nothing to worry about. If I had to state a percentage of you getting in, it'd be near 90-95% with the last 5-10% being due to some rare situations - stuff you don't need to fret about.
For userrrname and Waldo
What would I gain out of just making this up... I’m just trying to understand just how set in stone prerequisites are. She went to a disadvantaged school and had the Access Melbourne thing as well if that’s any help. I think people should still keep their preferences regardless if they satisfy the prereqs or not and just wait and see.
You're not wrong at all. Your friend might have got in from SEAS and/or subject bonuses which may have overridden her SSs. See, I've always been told that prereqs are set in stone, but that was back in 2014. Things might have changed since then and I'm just unaware of this, so thanks for enlightening me to your friend's situation.

In that case, by all means, Waldo, I would strongly encourage that you ask during the Change of Preference Day at that institute you've almost got the prereq for whether that's possible. Although I would also look into bridging courses and alternative courses with lower prereqs if they say 'no', as a back up.
For IFailedYr12

I put in 3 or 2 categories of SEAS

Will it be anough?
Miniturtle's advice is still spot on. Subject bonuses may also get you in, so you still have a chance of getting in regardless.
VTAC Info Thread

CindyN2

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2018, 11:25:16 am »
Hi, I was just wondering when and how I can change my uni preferences? I've tried logging into the VTAC website but all it does is redirect me to my atar results page. Thanks.