Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 12:27:49 am

Author Topic: UMAT 2018: Results & Discussion  (Read 46236 times)  Share 

peter.g15

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +29
Re: UMAT 2018: Discussion, Preparation, Videos and Other Resources
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2018, 10:19:00 pm »
85+ percentile gives you a good edge in securing an interview if you're able to get a 99 ATAR. (Personal anecdote, I got exactly 85 in UMAT)

Can't fathom the enthusiasm of doing UMAT papers though DAMN, you guys are gonna do well.

I don't know if anyone can be enthusiastic doing UMAT papers hahaha. Certainly not me! I cannot wait for it to be all done!

Also, just to let people know, admission tickets were released today on your ACER accounts :)
2019 - 23: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

pha0015

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2018, 11:13:03 pm »
I thought I did pretty well on exam 3 (ACER) getting a 94/134. Then I put my results into medentry and it told me I got like 30th percentile or something LOL.
I hope it’s just that people abuse the medentry percentile thing by putting in all the right answers or something. Otherwise that’s quite depressing.

That's a good score - should be around 90th percentile, at least according to this table that I got from a medentry paper (conflict in percentiles is weird)- I didn't take the course so I have no idea what my percentiles are. From doing dodgy free papers and a friend's medentry drills, I've been fluctuating from 30-80% (percentage not percentile) which scares me to death.

ACER practice papers - wise, I've been doing alright-ish. Do the papers get harder (i.e. 1- easy, 4 - hard)? I've only done the first two and the first additional practice questions, in which I've gotten 116, 98 (let there be a reason for the drop in my percentage) and 49/61 respectively. Are these decent scores?

Zaljc

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2018, 09:20:07 am »
If I get 70/134 in the UMAT, approximately what would be my percentile?

I’m improving in my scores but my percentile is decreasing. I swear medentry just decreases your self-confidence, even if you hear people getting 30’s and scoring a 90 on the the actual UMAT :,(
2017- Biology

2018- Chemistry, English, Methods, Physics & Business Managment

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
UMAT 2018: Discussion, Preparation, Videos and Other Resources
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2018, 09:52:12 am »
If I get 70/134 in the UMAT, approximately what would be my percentile?

I’m improving in my scores but my percentile is decreasing. I swear medentry just decreases your self-confidence, even if you hear people getting 30’s and scoring a 90 on the the actual UMAT :,(

In the actual UMAT this obviously depends on how good everyone else is. But apparently recent years have shown a 90/134 is a ~90th. Also apparently most kids tend to get atleast 50-60/134 regardless of difficulty so I think a 70/134 might only be a 60-70th percentile unfortunately.

Also, I wouldn’t worry about percentiles in med entry as people on this forum have said they have received pretty bad percentiles in medentry only to go on and smash the actual UMAT.
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

Juves

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2018, 10:38:17 am »
In the actual UMAT this obviously depends on how good everyone else is. But apparently recent years have shown a 90/134 is a ~90th.

Hi Lear, thanks for the info. Was wondering where you found the stats for umat performances in the recent years? Thank you.

Zaljc

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2018, 12:43:09 pm »

In the actual UMAT this obviously depends on how good everyone else is. But apparently recent years have shown a 90/134 is a ~90th. Also apparently most kids tend to get atleast 50-60/134 regardless of difficulty so I think a 70/134 might only be a 60-70th percentile unfortunately.

Also, I wouldn’t worry about percentiles in med entry as people on this forum have said they have received pretty bad percentiles in medentry only to go on and smash the actual UMAT.

If a 70/134 is around a 70th percentile in the actual UMAT I’m happy because that’s what Medentry is telling me I’m going to get and Medentry is so competitive. Who are these people anyway? The ones getting 99 in the Medentry? Because y’all are crazy
2017- Biology

2018- Chemistry, English, Methods, Physics & Business Managment

dk1015

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2018, 08:53:49 pm »
My results so far for the acer exams:
Exam 1: 108/134
Exam 2: 102/134
Exam 3: 109/134

I'm kind of worried since apparently my exam 1 had so many careless errors, any tips?. Also was wondering if exam 3 was in fact the closest to the real exam. If it is similar, what percentile is that roughly? And considering I get a 98.00 ATAR,  is it likely that i will get an interview (preferably monash) ?

Thanks!

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +313
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2018, 02:54:05 am »
My results so far for the acer exams:
Exam 1: 108/134
Exam 2: 102/134
Exam 3: 109/134

I'm kind of worried since apparently my exam 1 had so many careless errors, any tips?. Also was wondering if exam 3 was in fact the closest to the real exam. If it is similar, what percentile is that roughly? And considering I get a 98.00 ATAR,  is it likely that i will get an interview (preferably monash) ?

Thanks!

That’s solid. I wouldn’t be able to give you a percentile indication given that ACER practice exams are usually easier than the real thing, but you’re going pretty well. I wouldn’t be too worried about careless mistakes. Obviously you should try to minimise them by being careful, but the key to the UMAT is to just get through it and make sure you give every question a crack since the time pressure is very real. With a 98~ ATAR, you’d be in an ok position for getting interviews, but you’d definitely want a UMAT of at least 90th percentile (preferably higher) to have a chance at Monash (assuming you are non-rural and don’t have any bonuses).
UAdel MBBS

lazaward

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2018, 07:09:47 pm »
Does anyone have advice on how to improve with timing? Is it just learning to skip questions I probably won’t get correct? Coz I don’t understand how it’s possible to attempt every single question wholeheartedly in 3 hours.

zaynab123

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2018, 07:42:49 pm »
hey, I'm a year 11 student and I'm quite interested in studying medicine at monash.  I'm eligible for a really good SEAS application  I just was wondering if I would get any special consideration in terms of UMAT and ATAR because I've heard that its only for rural and indigenous students. (sorry for posting here I know its not that relevant to this thread)

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2018, 08:35:50 pm »
+1
hey, I'm a year 11 student and I'm quite interested in studying medicine at monash.  I'm eligible for a really good SEAS application  I just was wondering if I would get any special consideration in terms of UMAT and ATAR because I've heard that its only for rural and indigenous students. (sorry for posting here I know its not that relevant to this thread)

Well your SEAS will help with the ATAR component. Other than that, you could be eligible for the Monash Guarantee, where you are guaranteed an interview for a small amount of reserved spots provided you pass the ATAR/UMAT threshold. I can't remember the requirements, but they'll be on the link I provided. I think it was an ATAR of 95.00 and a minimum of 50 in each section of the UMAT

Entry to this course is based on a combination of ATAR, UMAT and interview. You cannot be guaranteed an offer for this course. We have reserved some places for Monash Guarantee students who would not otherwise have been offered a place, and have the strongest results across the range of criteria. You must have undertaken the UMAT and achieved a minimum of 50 for each of the three sections.

🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

pha0015

• Trendsetter
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2018, 09:03:45 pm »
+1
Well your SEAS will help with the ATAR component. Other than that, you could be eligible for the Monash Guarantee, where you are guaranteed an interview for a small amount of reserved spots provided you pass the ATAR/UMAT threshold. I can't remember the requirements, but they'll be on the link I provided. I think it was an ATAR of 95.00 and a minimum of 50 in each section of the UMAT

Entry to this course is based on a combination of ATAR, UMAT and interview. You cannot be guaranteed an offer for this course. We have reserved some places for Monash Guarantee students who would not otherwise have been offered a place, and have the strongest results across the range of criteria. You must have undertaken the UMAT and achieved a minimum of 50 for each of the three sections.

Although the minimum is 50 per section, you have to get above the threshold of 175/300 if memory serves, which is equivalent to approximately 87th percentile. As for the ATAR, the minimum required is 94.

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2018, 09:19:12 pm »

Does anyone have advice on how to improve with timing? Is it just learning to skip questions I probably won’t get correct? Coz I don’t understand how it’s possible to attempt every single question wholeheartedly in 3 hours.

I’ve been consistently finishing my medentry exams lately and I have to credit my success to my break down of time.

1st - Section 2 - 30 minutes (do 10-15 questions in reading time)
2nd - Section 1 - 80 minutes
3rd - Section 3 - 60 minutes

Section 1 tends to be the most time heavy section and thus needs the most time. If you can effectively do Section 2 during reading as well finishing in 30 minutes is not difficult. An hour for section 3 was also perfect for me. Plus this way you have an extra 10 minutes for any section that you may need extra time for :)
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

pha0015

• Trendsetter
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2018, 09:22:17 pm »
I’ve been consistently finishing my medentry exams lately and I have to credit my success to my break down of time.

1st - Section 2 - 30 minutes (do 10-15 questions in reading time)
2nd - Section 1 - 80 minutes
3rd - Section 3 - 60 minutes

Section 1 tends to be the most time heavy section and thus needs the most time. If you can effectively do Section 2 during reading as well finishing in 30 minutes is not difficult. An hour for section 3 was also perfect for me. Plus this way you have an extra 10 minutes for any section that you may need extra time for :)

How much reading time do you get in the actual UMAT? Is it 10 minutes? Also, aren't the sections scrambled up in the UMAT, so you can't go about doing it section by section? I guess it;s easy enough to recognise which question belongs to which section but then you run the chance of shading in the wrong bubbles.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 10:25:49 pm by pha0015 »

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 好きこそものの上手なれ ☆ What one likes, one will do well
  • Respect: +383
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2018, 11:52:59 pm »
How much reading time do you get in the actual UMAT? Is it 10 minutes? Also, aren't the sections scrambled up in the UMAT, so you can't go about doing it section by section? I guess it;s easy enough to recognise which question belongs to which section but then you run the chance of shading in the wrong bubbles.
Yes, 10 minutes.
Yes, the sections are scrambled.

I only noticed after doing the ACER test but I'm pretty quick by section and pushing for time when they are scrambled. For that reason, I think I will approach it by, as you say, recognising which question is which.
The risk of shading the wrong bubble is there. The other risk with this method is that if you run out of time and you've only done two sections, the last section you attempt might have be affected negative due to nerves/not being able to finish on time. And that will jeopardise admission chance into 50-50-50 universities if the score is really botched.
My solution to this would be appropriate time management. After each hour, even if you're not done with the section you're on, you should move on. That way you will attempt every section to a reasonable extent.
Sometimes you make choices, and sometimes choices make you.

♡ Subjects ♡
2015: Japanese SL [42]
2016: Psychology [43] Philosophy [36] Japanese SL [50] [Premier's Award]
2017: UMEP Further Advanced Japanese [4.5]
2018: Methods [24] English Language [41] Chemistry [31] Psychology [41] Cert III in Allied Health Assistance [4.3]
ATAR: 97.45
2019-2024: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ UNSW

Sarangiya's 사랑하는 VCE Journal
Is Repeating a VCE Subject Worth It?