Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 12:58:00 am

Author Topic: Last Minute Preparations: Studies of Religion  (Read 6710 times)  Share 

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Last Minute Preparations: Studies of Religion
« on: October 26, 2016, 10:39:59 am »
+7
Exam: tomorrow.
It’ll feel good to get another one off the list! But, we’ve got to make it through first.

Last minute things to know:
Know your quotes – whether they are from the Sacred Texts and Writings or from other authorities – know them well!
•Even more important than knowing quotes, is knowing a few great references that can be used across your religious tradition studies – practice, ethics, person/school of thoughts, or religion and peace.
Revise the principal beliefs of the religion. This will root your responses in direction, and we all know SOR responses tend to be a bit waffley at times. This is the simplest way to bring it back to an analysis rather than a story-telling.

How will you approach the paper?
•Consider: which section do you want to do first?
•Personally, I used the reading time to do as many of the multiple choice questions as possible. In my own HSC, I managed to have answered every single multiple choice question (except one) in the reading time, so as soon as I could pick up my pen, I’d already had a shot at gaining ten marks – in only ten seconds! Then I used this extra time to work on the essays.
•Alternatively, you could dedicate your time to the essays, and then leave the multiple choice until last. If you’re someone with poor time management in an exam, this might be the way for you to go. If you notoriously spend too much time on the essays, you can at least have a one in four chance of getting some multiple choice right if you scribble down some answers at the end without really reading the question. Note: not recommended, but if you’re that kind of person, consider what is most strategic for you.
•I know that plans can go out the window when you get into the exam, but having an idea of your plan of attack is really important. It gives you some kind of security blanket for your plan of attack if you feel lost in the exam!

Approaching the questions:
•Take note of the mark allocation: using your time well is key. Don’t waste words and energy on a 3 marker.
•Attack the stimulus – don’t just glaze over it. It’s so important that you take the lead here and show the marker you are confident enough to incorporate it.
•Don’t ignore a part of the question. Make sure you approach the key words with confidence.

Are you a planner? + Using the reading time well.
SOR students are notorious wafflers (or at least that’s what my teacher said all the time and to be frank – I believe it). You’ve got to draw on all kinds of little bits of information to get the best response. Every student can read in the reading time – but not every student will plan. I’m not one to suggest planning essays in exams, except for SOR, (and one of my legal essays…) I found it really helpful. Write down just random words associated with the topic, and then pick and choose them into a nice order when you’re writing. 30 seconds of planning, for the result of a cohesive essay? Sounds like a good deal to me!  ;D

What does a marker want?
•   Succinct responses that answer the question.
•   Quotes and references to the Sacred Texts and Writings – used wisely.
•   Depth of knowledge about the traditions (consider showing you understand the variations in the sects, for example).
•   Correct and confident use of technology. Aboriginal spirituality is a metatemporal belief system. Remember that.
•   Judicious stimulus incorporation. Each year, the Notes from the Marking Centre say that people are not using the stimulus well. If you need tips on this, have a look here.

Remember: You know a lot.
And that’s a frustrating part of Studies of Religion, like many humanities exams. You can know soo much about a religion – the variations, the ethical applications, the history of the entire thing – but you won’t need it all. It’s frustrating – but this is a reason why students tend to waffle in Studies of Religion exams. It’s incredibly important that you understand that you may have to sacrifice learned knowledge for the purpose of being succinct. I know you want to show off all of your hard work, but if it doesn’t answer the question – you have to get rid of it.

Going into the exam tomorrow you want to be:
•   Full – A nice big brekky means that you won’t be thinking about your post-exam Maccas run.
•   Calm – Know that it is what it is. You’ve done all you can and the only thing you can control now is what you put on the page.
•   Hydrated – If you’re feeling tired, headachey, sore, etc: water is actually the way to go. I’m a constant headache sufferer and this year I’ve committed to more water and it genuinely works to making you feel so much more awake. Bring water into your exam too – drinking is a good thing to do whilst you have to stop and have a think, it gives you something to physically do so you don’t panic and fidget.
•   Confident – Don’t wallow in self-pity outside of the exam room. Even more important for your peers: don’t spread that negativity. The more you fake it, the more you make it (or something like that).

FAQ:
If I can’t remember the reference for the quote, do I still use the quote or just get rid of it?
Definitely still use the quote.
Do I get marked down for not using the stimulus?
You certainly won’t be getting marked up.
How important are the principal beliefs?
Very! It’s definitely worth spending some time on them tonight to nail them down.
How do I decide which religious tradition to do for which section?
Have a look at what they are asking of you in the extended response, and then ask yourself: “Can I write at least two pages on this?” I’d say two pages is about the minimum length you can aim for to do really well in the SOR 20 marker.

Suggested listening for the car trip home post-exam:
Taylor Swift's Shake it Off
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 02:22:07 pm by elysepopplewell »
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

hermansia12

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +14
Re: Last Minute Preparations: Studies of Religion
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 10:49:10 am »
+2
Suggested listening for the car trip home post-exam:
Taylor Swift's Shake it Off

hahahaha this literally brightened my day! :)  :)  :) Good luck to everyone doing the SOR test tommorrow!! You can do it!
Economics: 91
English Advanced: 90
Studies of Religion 1: 46
Mathematics Extension 1: 88
Mathematics Extension 2: 73

ATAR: 96.05

Currently studying: Bachelor of Engineering (Civil) (Hons)/Bachelor of Commerce at UNSW

Celeriac

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: --
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 11:47:20 am »
Thank you for this  :)
I'm a bit panicky about having SOR2 and History Extension tomorrow but this made me feel a lot better.

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 12:23:32 pm »
Thankyou for this elyse this guide is amazing!!

Just one question kind of in your faq but kinda not.
- Do you get marked down for using the wrong reference or you word the quote wrong? In this case, would it be better to not put in the reference or not put in the quote, or put it in incorrectly?

Thanks again :D

(PS you havent linked where you said "available here" or something like that :))

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 02:26:39 pm »
(PS you havent linked where you said "available here" or something like that :))

Oopsy, all fixed! Thanks :)

Thankyou for this elyse this guide is amazing!!

Just one question kind of in your faq but kinda not.
- Do you get marked down for using the wrong reference or you word the quote wrong? In this case, would it be better to not put in the reference or not put in the quote, or put it in incorrectly?

Thanks again :D

You are welcome for the guide!
As far as I know, you aren't marked down definitely seeing as you may be referencing one a marker doesn't know, and I don't believe they check all of the references. I'd be focusing on ensuring the main ones are correct, like the reference for the 10 Commandments in Christianity. If you forget on the spot and go blank for the reference, I'd give it a go anyway. I wouldn't get rid of the quote because the reference mightn't be right! I'd definitely go ahead with the quote :)

kavinila

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +5
  • School: Strathfield Girls HS
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 06:55:32 pm »
thanks for this guide elyse! :)

fake it till you make it (Y) gotcha! :P

Goodluck everyone!!

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 08:32:10 pm »
You are welcome for the guide!
As far as I know, you aren't marked down definitely seeing as you may be referencing one a marker doesn't know, and I don't believe they check all of the references. I'd be focusing on ensuring the main ones are correct, like the reference for the 10 Commandments in Christianity. If you forget on the spot and go blank for the reference, I'd give it a go anyway. I wouldn't get rid of the quote because the reference mightn't be right! I'd definitely go ahead with the quote :)

Ok thanks for that clarification!!

I'll just try ahd get the book right on the day but when in doubt: go genesis or exodus :P lot of my quotes seem to be from there :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 07:14:15 am »
Ok thanks for that clarification!!

I'll just try ahd get the book right on the day but when in doubt: go genesis or exodus :P lot of my quotes seem to be from there :)

A lot of my quotes were too, so it sounds like a plan! :) Good luck!

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 07:37:11 am »
A lot of my quotes were too, so it sounds like a plan! :) Good luck!

Thanks!! All SOR students were praying across NSW last night, hoping against hope that wouldn't have to an integrated response for Section III. Did their prayers help them? Or was their praying done in vain? Find out after the (3hr) news headlines ;D

kneehaha

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 09:30:27 pm »
Thank you for the tips Elyse, I will definitely keep these in mind for my upcoming exam :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 05:55:46 am »
Thank you for the tips Elyse, I will definitely keep these in mind for my upcoming exam :)

Be sure to let us know how you go kneehaha! I'm interested to know what your exam questions are :)