Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 07:54:57 pm

Author Topic: HOW CAN I GET A 98 ATAR? SCALED DOWN SUBJECTS?  (Read 5069 times)  Share 

victoria.k

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
HOW CAN I GET A 98 ATAR? SCALED DOWN SUBJECTS?
« on: July 21, 2018, 03:44:15 pm »
+1
So I want to get into Monash Law (which requires a 98+ atar). I am currently in year 11 and have a pure passion for the law and the legal system and it would be my dream to become a lawyer. 98 is an incredibly high atar and I've been questioning my abilities to work hard enough to achieve this goal, however I am a diligent worker and I always try my hardest when it comes to tests/exams.

I attend an extremely competitive private school in Melbourne which has the top VCE results in the state, and the median ATAR is above 90 every year. The 1/2 Subjects I currently do are;
English
General/Further Mathematics
Accounting
Economics
Legal Studies
Media

I did quite well in my mid year exams (80 being my lowest result) despite the very high level of difficulty that is involved when it comes to the exams at my school.

I really just want to know what I will have to do in order to achieve this ATAR of 98. What are the best ways to approach studying, balancing social life with school etc. And as many of my subjects are scaled down, how much work will I have to put in to receive the study scores I need? Is it possible?

Thanks in advance  :)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: HOW CAN I GET A 98 ATAR? SCALED DOWN SUBJECTS?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 03:49:05 pm »
+2
So I want to get into Monash Law (which requires a 98+ atar). I am currently in year 11 and have a pure passion for the law and the legal system and it would be my dream to become a lawyer. 98 is an incredibly high atar and I've been questioning my abilities to work hard enough to achieve this goal, however I am a diligent worker and I always try my hardest when it comes to tests/exams.

I attend an extremely competitive private school in Melbourne which has the top VCE results in the state, and the median ATAR is above 90 every year. The 1/2 Subjects I currently do are;
English
Accounting
Economics
Legal Studies
Media

I did quite well in my mid year exams (80 being my lowest result) despite the very high level of difficulty that is involved when it comes to the exams at my school.

I really just want to know what I will have to do in order to achieve this ATAR of 98. What are the best ways to approach studying, balancing social life with school etc. And as many of my subjects are scaled down, how much work will I have to put in to receive the study scores I need? Is it possible?

Yes it's possible and it's been done countless times before.

Have a play around with the ATAR Calc to see what sort of study scores you need to obtain.

The amount of work required will differ between everyone so I don't think anyone can accurately answer that question and you need to try different study techniques and find out what works for you.

not.yet.a.nerd

• Trendsetter
  • hello!
  • Respect: +80
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 04:08:44 pm »
+2
Atar calc it!  ;) VCE scores are largely proportionate to effort, so if you manage to get high marks in just 4 subjects, 98+ is definitely achievable.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 02:39:57 pm »
+1

English
Accounting
Economics
Legal Studies
Media

Hey Victoria! Welcome to ATAR Notes. :) Some general thoughts:

* Great aspirations!
* You're right - 98+ is a very high ATAR. But somebody has to achieve it. Why not you?
* It sounds to me like you're in a pretty good position at the moment. You obviously care - you wouldn't be here if you didn't!
* Congrats on your mid-year exams!

To answer your question, it absolutely is possible to achieve a 98+ with your subjects. I did the following subjects, and my ATAR was in the mid-high 99s:

* Business Management (down)
* English Language (up - just)
* Further Maths (down)
* Health and Human Development (down)
* Psychology (down)
* Visual Communication & Design (down)

As with most things, and irrespective of what you're aiming for, IMO the best way to approach studying is with a balanced mindset. Even if you're gunning for a really high ATAR, it doesn't make sense to try to study 24/7 - for a number of reasons.

Again, welcome to the forums. Looking forward to seeing you posting more! :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.