Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:12:25 am

Author Topic: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 596291 times)  Share 

hannah2013

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1065 on: October 05, 2013, 04:30:10 pm »
Yeah structure i'll definitely learn! But i mean the actual ROLE because in my notes I have some roles listed, but nowhere in that dotpoint does it mention the role if the CW  parliament- only the crown and the upper and lower house so Idk..
Edit: I think I just answered my own question...

Oh, and post no. 555!  ;D

I would learn a role of the lower house and a role of the lower house. I have seen a few 2013 exams that ask for one role of each house of parliament (it doesn't matter for which of state or commonwealth - they are basically the same) and a role of the crown.

for example (the ones i am learning)
lower house - to provide representative government by the method of determining government
upper house - to act as a house of review
the crown - to give royal assent
2012: Theatre studies 41
2013: English 38| Methods 31 | Biology 37 | Legal studies 43 | Psychology 44 |

San

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: Keysborough College Banksia Campus
« Reply #1066 on: October 05, 2013, 04:37:00 pm »
a.)   One element of an effective legal system is having effective access to the legal system. Select ONE aspect of civil procedures to illustrate:
-   How this aspect helps to achieve this element
-   How this aspect can limit the achievement of this element
-   Describe a possible solution to this problem (using examples of recent and/or recommendations for change).

hannah2013

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #1067 on: October 05, 2013, 05:07:23 pm »
a.)   One element of an effective legal system is having effective access to the legal system. Select ONE aspect of civil procedures to illustrate:
-   Describe a possible solution to this problem (using examples of recent and/or recommendations for change).

You could talk about need for legal representation
It helps litigants understand court processes and the rules of evidence etc. This is especially helpful in pre trial procedures which are very complicated and difficult to understand.
They can be very expensive which may mean parties do not pursue legal action in the first place or their financial recourses may be exhausted during pre trial procedures before the matter even reaches court.
The increased use of ADR methods of dispute resolution and tribunals such as VCAT has helped with this somewhat as there is much less need for LR meaning people who are unable to afford it can still access the legal system.

M_BONG

« Reply #1068 on: October 05, 2013, 05:32:45 pm »
+6

San, with respect, you need to do some work by yourself. you cant just copy and paste questions hoping people here will do your homework for you.

San

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: Keysborough College Banksia Campus
« Reply #1069 on: October 06, 2013, 11:07:13 am »
How does the purpose of criminal sanctions differ from the purpose of civil remedies?
The purpose of civil remedies is to restore the plaintiff to the position they were in before the harm occurred. The purpose of criminal sanctions differs from civil remedies as it aims to punish, deter, rehabilitate, denunciate and to protect the community from the offender.

Is this enough for 1 mark ?

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +326
« Reply #1070 on: October 06, 2013, 11:29:25 am »
+2
San, with respect, you need to do some work by yourself. you cant just copy and paste questions hoping people here will do your homework for you.
I agree with this. It doesn't really matter if it's questions being asked for homework, for revision from practice exams or just for the sake of learning. There's plenty of people that are more than happy to answer questions on the site, but asking a question should in most cases consist of more than just copying and pasting question.

It really is helpful to see what working you've figured out so far and outlining what part of the question you're actually having trouble with or are concerned about. It looks like you've done that in your post just above mine, so that's good.

That usually ends up in more fruitful discussion too. The person asking the question gets a more direct answer to the problem they were having e.g. you'll avoid problems like this
can you please answering more clearly; i get what you mean by listing all that
as well as the discussion will probably end up being a bit deeper than just Question. Answer. Question. Question. Answer. which frankly isn't as interesting as actually engaging the subject matter.

DetteAmelie

« Reply #1071 on: October 06, 2013, 12:20:27 pm »
How does the purpose of criminal sanctions differ from the purpose of civil remedies?
The purpose of civil remedies is to restore the plaintiff to the position they were in before the harm occurred. The purpose of criminal sanctions differs from civil remedies as it aims to punish, deter, rehabilitate, denunciate and to protect the community from the offender.

Is this enough for 1 mark ?

Purpose of Civil remedies:
Restore individual back to original position - that is, before the breach had occurred. (i.e Specific compensatory damages)
Rectify situation caused by the person who is found to be in the wrong. (i.e Injunction)

Although this is not the main aim of civil remedies, some remedies such as Exemplary Damages actually aim to punish the individual in the wrong and in effect, deter individuals from engaging in a similar civil wrong. So, if this was me answering this question, I wouldn't say that punishment and deterrence is a difference. Instead, I'd insert a sentence such as "Similarly to criminal sanctions, civil remedies aim to also punish and deter, although to differing degrees" or something like that. That sentence isn't a very good example, but I'm just trying to illustrate what I mean.

Other than that, your answer looks fine.

Just a thing with the structure of your answer, maybe it would be more effective to start off with a sentence that states how they're similar (my above example, or something of the like), then follow it up by saying something like "however, the purpose civil remedies and criminal sanctions differ, as the former aims to [insert difference] whereas the latter aims to [insert difference]" I don't know if this is an ideal way of structuring your answer, but to me it seems much more effective than just stating what the purpose is of civil remedies without any recognition of how it differs from criminal sanctions.

Hmm, well you have used the word differ to differentiate the purposes....actually, you'd probably get the marks with that structure anyways.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 12:37:46 pm by Floraison »

akeergar

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • School: The Grange P-12 College
« Reply #1072 on: October 08, 2013, 09:08:35 am »
‘Critically evaluate the effectiveness of the jury system in contributing to an effective legal system” 10 Marks.

Does this question require you to evaluate the strengths and weakness of the jury system (that is, identifying 5 strengths and 5 corresponding weaknesses to gain full marks)?

OR

Does this question require you to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the jury system in achieving fair and unbiased hearings, timely resolution and effective access to justice (one way in doing this would be to have the 3 elements as you topic sentences and evaluate at least two strengths that contribute to the element and two corresponding weaknesses that hinder the ability to achieve that element)

Because I believe the latter is the approach needed to gain full marks and this is what I did in my legal SAC yet my teacher believes that the simply listing of 5 strengths and 5 weaknesses is what is needed to gain full marks. The fact that I did not provide a total of 10 points meant that my teacher only gave me a 6/10. If I can get your opinions on whether I am right to think my teacher is incompetent or whether I actually didn’t correctly interpret the question that would be very helpful as I am currently very pissed off. Cheers guys.
Hopeful Atar score: 98

Arts/Law Monash University.

hannah2013

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #1073 on: October 08, 2013, 09:50:36 am »
‘Critically evaluate the effectiveness of the jury system in contributing to an effective legal system” 10 Marks.

Does this question require you to evaluate the strengths and weakness of the jury system (that is, identifying 5 strengths and 5 corresponding weaknesses to gain full marks)?

OR

Does this question require you to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the jury system in achieving fair and unbiased hearings, timely resolution and effective access to justice (one way in doing this would be to have the 3 elements as you topic sentences and evaluate at least two strengths that contribute to the element and two corresponding weaknesses that hinder the ability to achieve that element)

Because I believe the latter is the approach needed to gain full marks and this is what I did in my legal SAC yet my teacher believes that the simply listing of 5 strengths and 5 weaknesses is what is needed to gain full marks. The fact that I did not provide a total of 10 points meant that my teacher only gave me a 6/10. If I can get your opinions on whether I am right to think my teacher is incompetent or whether I actually didn’t correctly interpret the question that would be very helpful as I am currently very pissed off. Cheers guys.

critically evaluate means that you have to just go very deep into either 5 strengths or 5 weaknesses. I would do strengths as it asks how it contributes to an effective legal system - and yes this means fairness access and timelines you were right for the SAC. critically evaluate means you must talk about a strength for example and then say if there is anything that is detrimental to this (so a weakness more or less) but then argue it back to the strength outweighing it (or the weakness outweighing the strength if you want). But in this case they should all relate to FAT somehow as it is what the question is asking.

Sorry that was a really bad explanation

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #1074 on: October 08, 2013, 10:53:11 am »

OR

Both and neither at exactly the same time.

'Evaluate' means you need to look at both sides of juries (the strengths and the weaknesses) and weigh them against each other. You don't have to have equal numbers of each and you don't need to match every single strength and weakness together, but you *do* need both sides and weighing up to some extent. You also need to be arguing an opinion.

As for the 'effective legal system' component of the question: that means you need to weave at least one element into your overall evaluation. You can do it by structuring it into sections like you did, or you can just refer to one or more elements in your general evaluation. Either is fine. It doesn't say "the three elements of", though, so you actually don't need all three explicitly done.

Lastly, you really need to make at least ten points - preferably slightly more. When you read the best answers students give, it's usually three pages (or more!) of great arguments, detail and examples slipped in, one after the other, bang bang bang. And when you count up the number of individual points they made, there's well over ten. That's what you're competing with.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

akeergar

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • School: The Grange P-12 College
« Reply #1075 on: October 08, 2013, 11:52:28 am »
Lastly, you really need to make at least ten points - preferably slightly more. When you read the best answers students give, it's usually three pages (or more!) of great arguments, detail and examples slipped in, one after the other, bang bang bang. And when you count up the number of individual points they made, there's well over ten. That's what you're competing with.

I was just annoyed that I didn't get any credit for the second half of the question -  "effective access to legal system".

But haha I'm working on the 'bang bang' thing with my points. It's just a matter of getting more points across but succinctly so that I don't write to much
Hopeful Atar score: 98

Arts/Law Monash University.

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #1076 on: October 08, 2013, 12:38:32 pm »
I was just annoyed that I didn't get any credit for the second half of the question -  "effective access to legal system".

But haha I'm working on the 'bang bang' thing with my points. It's just a matter of getting more points across but succinctly so that I don't write to much

Yeah, tell me about it...! :/
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

arshavin23

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #1077 on: October 08, 2013, 05:46:42 pm »
Hey just wondering, do we need to know a case study example for Referral of law-making powers for the exam?

DetteAmelie

« Reply #1078 on: October 08, 2013, 06:39:16 pm »
+1
Hey just wondering, do we need to know a case study example for Referral of law-making powers for the exam?

I don't think so, but learning one wouldn't hurt. It would be really good to buff up what you say ") In the end it's your choice.

tcstudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1079 on: October 08, 2013, 09:05:19 pm »
Yo guys, I got this question here

The doctrine of precedent allows for both consistency and flexbillity, Critically examine these two strengths of the doctrine of precendent

6 marks

here is my plan,
1.Define DOP
2. State the strength of consistency+ discussion
3. state the weakness of consistency+disucssion
4. State a strength of flexbillity               ''''
5. state a weakness of flexbillity'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

is it possible to tell me how i can fill up like over 25 lines with this question as it is part of the 2010 legal studies past exam, thank you.