Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:10:38 am

Author Topic: is transferring from monash sci to melb sci difficult?  (Read 760 times)  Share 

VC2020

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
is transferring from monash sci to melb sci difficult?
« on: August 13, 2020, 07:08:40 pm »
I have sort of settled with my passion on pursuing dentistry, but have realised this is only available at Latrobe (bendigo is wayyyy to far unfortunately) and Melbourne (much closer). As i have not satisfied the prereq of math methods, i am thinking of doing science at Monash and then transferring to melb but was wanting to know if this is a difficult/competitive process.

Thanks for the help!

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory
  • Respect: +101
Re: is transferring from monash sci to melb sci difficult?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 07:33:58 pm »
+4
You can do Monash Sci and then apply for Unimelb dent once you complete your science degree.

It wouldn't matter if you did science at Unimelb or Monash if you were to apply to postgraduate dentistry at Unimelb.

Does that answer your question? I am a bit unsure to what exactly you're asking.

EDIT - Just re-read, you don't have methods so can't apply for Unimelb sci. To transfer to Unimelb sci I believe a WAM of 70 would comfortably get you the transfer. Nevertheless, you can still go into Unimelb dent through Monash sci, so I wouldn't stress about transferring unless you really really want to go to Unimelb for science.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 07:36:42 pm by Rod »
2013-2014:| VCE
2015-2018:| Bachelor of Science (Neuroscience) @ UoM
2019-X:| Doctor of Dental Surgery (discontinued)
2019 -2021:| Master of Physiotherapy

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

VC2020

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 08:07:57 pm »
Easy thanks for the help!
Would you say it is challenging to get into dentistry and can I also ask why you decided to not continue the course if you don’t mind me asking? :)

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 09:46:19 pm »
+3
Back when I applied I believe you would need a GPA of 6.6+ (WAM minimum 75+) and a GAMSAT in the mid 60s for a full fee place (FFP). A FFP costs about 350K. I had a FFP, the costs combined with me not enjoying the course as much as I had hoped led me to drop out and change to physio (which I'm enjoying much more :D + not paying a mortgage for).

I'd recommend shadowing some dentists and if it is what you want to do, work hard throughout undergrad and apply. Have some backups as well if things don't go as planned. There are interstate universities that also offer postgrad dent (USYD, UWA) so I'd recommend researching them.

Good luck buddy!

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

VC2020

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 10:50:02 pm »
+3
Thanks boss

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 07:40:37 pm »
No worries chief