Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:41:12 am

Author Topic: Suzanne Cory High school (SCHS) vs Melbourne High School (MHS) which is better?  (Read 18531 times)  Share 

disone

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
 :( I don't know why, but I still think that Melbourne high is way better than Suzanne Cory.  :(

Eric11267

• Trendsetter
  • Today three of my enemies I shall strike dead
  • Respect: +41
+2
While I can't say anything about Suzanne Cory, as a recently graduated student, I'll say that MHS really isn't that great. The standard of teaching is quite poor, so don't think that you would get a 'better education.' I've found that a large majority of the cohort tend to seek tutors and tuition service to make up for the lackluster teaching, which would explain why MHS tends to do well in VCE. However, I do not know if this applies to Suzanne Cory as well, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

tchaikno6

• Trailblazer
I agree With Eric11267. Like the teaching is just overall not at where it is expected to be. BUT the school culture makes up for a lot of it. getting really close to mates at the point that you feel the brotherhood (ikr kinda cringey) legit means so much more than what you can learn in VCE. And even if you don't find the teachers to be great, there are enough friendly people in the cohort to help you out and teach you what you need to know.

MIMIMIMIME

• Fresh Poster
Both Eric11267 and tchaikno6 have nailed it pretty well tbh.

Teaching sucks ass at MHS especially the biology department. Like, please don't do that subject at MHS.

The reason MHS does well in VCE is because you just picked up a lot of academically successful kids and threw them in one place. On top of that, many seek tutors which isn't that hard to find especially because many graduates offer tuition services to those currently attending MHS for fairly cheap rates.

The best things about MHS is by far the culture and if you believe that you can self learn/are happy to find tuition, then it's probably worth it.

ATAR: 99.05

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
+8
As someone who went through the selective school system with MHS a few years ago, I think the most important thing about the school you choose should be the culture. Having just finished my degree in medicine, when I look back on my time at school, funnily enough I actually don't think about the good or bad teaching, the amount of practice exams I did, or how I wish I studied more or less - I think about my fellow students and the good times we had. And when you eventually come to 5 year reunions and the like as an Old Boy, those are the anecdotes we're sharing and having a laugh about, not ones about academia. Please keep that in mind.

But of course, academia is important. And I'd be lying if I didn't say it was my #1 priority when I was at high school. Is the teaching the best at MHS? Probably not, it certainly wasn't amazing when I was there. I had some lackluster teachers, but also many brilliant and inspiring ones. As with any public school, it's a mixed bag. But I don't think the teaching needed to be amazing, because the cohort was amazing. The cohort drove each to success, it was an incredibly collaborative environment that didn't leave people behind, and indeed many went through to get 99+ ATARs with no or minimal tutoring (unlike the top NSW selective schools!). If you have a good teacher, that's great, but if not you still have each other and a culture and history of success and excellence that you don't get in many other schools in the country.

I'll share one example of what many of you youngsters would consider to be 'bad teaching' and how that's a rather narrow viewpoint. One of the teachers who made the biggest impact on me was someone who I probably learnt nothing academic from, he barely taught anything in class and spent most of the time sharing various life experiences and telling jokes. This, especially in retrospect, was incredibly valuable, it's not often you are forced to sit in front of someone as they impart life advice and create a fun atmosphere. Why was this so valuable? This teacher understood who he was teaching. He was teaching a driven cohort who he knew would study for hours at home regardless of what he said, indeed for many of us school was some of the most 'fun' we got on a regular weekday. So during class, and within reason, we could put our hair down in class. He'd help anyone that needed help, explain anything that needed to be explained, but didn't lecture us on maths like a traditionally 'good teacher' would. Don't let 'bad teaching' guide you away from MHS, it's often a blessing in disguise.

A final comment on this business of median ATARs and tutoring. Median ATARs are great to look at if you plan on being a median student. If you don't plan on being a median student, then the proverbial sky is the limit. Looking at median ATARs, in my opinion, is not useful for that reason. Tutoring, as has been alluded to earlier, is commonplace. Undoubtedly, it's common in any selective school and any top-tier school in Victoria. Personally, I did got some tutoring only for year 12 English (which I don't think helped much!), and did fine. I'm far from a genius. Many people did better than me with less tutoring. Tutoring is there if you need it, but you don't need it to do well. Keep that distinction in mind. Don't get sucked in to paying for some freshly graduated 99+ ATAR uni student who thinks they're all that to teach you what the textbooks already spell out, what you should get sucked into is maintaining your own personal drive to work hard, persist, and improve. That's what matters at the end of the day.

That stuff aside, I implore you to look outside of the academia of school before making your choice. MHS' unofficial motto is "more than just marks", and it truly lives up to that. It's from getting involved in extra-curricular activities that you'll form your fondest memories that you'll treasure for decades. You won't find another public school in the state with the resources that MHS has for sports, clubs of any sort, music, cadets, house competitions, and so forth. And to have all of those resources housed in a literal castle on a hill so close to Melbourne - amazing. If you have an interest or skill, MHS has a place for you. Not only a place, but a place for you to excel and enjoy.

Whichever you choose, I wish you the best. Honour the work.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 02:37:48 am by pi »

jenni_zh90

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
Will NHS & SCHS ever beat Macrob & MHS in terms of VCE results and ranking?  :-\ :-\

If people keep putting Macrob & MHS as first preference, will NHS & SCHS ever get a chance to beat them?

amorphous

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
Will NHS & SCHS ever beat Macrob & MHS in terms of VCE results and ranking?  :-\ :-\

If people keep putting Macrob & MHS as first preference, will NHS & SCHS ever get a chance to beat them?

bump, cos i'm curious too : P

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
bump, cos i'm curious too : P

The year 2097 is when the transfer of power will take place.

Seriously, does it matter? :P (hint: it doesn't matter)

You want to increase the ranking? Then you work hard to give yourself and your cohort the best chance of doing well. There's no secret recipe here. It will happen when it happens if it happens.

Gogo14

• Forum Obsessive
  • when life gives you lemons... takeum and shareum
  • Respect: +6
Its also important to take travel time into consideration. If you live close to Suzanne,then its probably more convenient for you to go there than MHS and vice versa. Otherwise if you live close to one school and choose the other, it may take you 2 hours to get to school.
Right now, my opinion is that MHS is academically better than SC, but they will probably be the same in the future.
just graduated from MHS this year, the kids there are the best people I have ever met. There is a really strong sense of belonging at the school and while the school is competitive, it is in a friendly way. Students there are more than happy to help you out so having a trash teacher isn't really that much of a problem if you know who to ask (my friends carried me this year). Generally they save the good teachers for the senior years, but there are some teachers that are dodgy. Also MHS has a stronger reputation (probs because its older)

Never been to SC, so can't really talk much about it. Here are the main things to consider when choosing the school: 1. school community 2. travel 3. opportunities within the school (like co curricular) 4. teaching quality and ranking
2016: Bio[45]
2017: Eng[43];Chem[47];Methods[49];Spesh[46];Physics[44]
2018+: B-Biomed @unimelb

PM if want help/advice | VCE tutoring available too- just PM