Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 06:59:16 pm

Author Topic: Biology Student Experiment  (Read 3190 times)

jewel_14

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Biology Student Experiment
« on: June 07, 2020, 12:00:10 pm »
Hi,

I was wondering if someone can provide me with feedback.
Thanks
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 05:33:31 pm by Bri MT »

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Biology Student Experiment
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 02:22:58 pm »
+2
Hey!

You have good ideas & thinking but your execution needs a bit of work (not talking about aesthetics here because those look great). It feels like you've got a good scientific mind but maybe not all of the guidance on how to apply that to an experimental write up.

I'm not sure what's going on with the percentage uncertainty calc being made as imo that isn't a great way of addressing the variability at different distances (generally you'd use standard deviation for this) but if this is what your teacher has asked for then well, they're the ones marking your work.

You don't seem to know how to do long-form referencing so I've provided an example at the end that will hopefully help you out there.

Best of luck and please feel free to reply with any questions! :)

- Bri

jewel_14

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 02:31:15 pm »
Hi Bri,

Thank you for your feedback. In some sections you have said 'confident' do you mean that is good? Also, how can I improve my rationale, suggested extensions and limitations section as my teacher said it needs improvement.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 04:01:36 pm »
Hi Bri,

Thank you for your feedback. In some sections you have said 'confident' do you mean that is good? Also, how can I improve my rationale, suggested extensions and limitations section as my teacher said it needs improvement.

Hi,

you're welcome :)

I realise that "confident" could be misleading since it's usually a good thing. What I mean there is that we can't assume our theories are right so you should be less confident/certain when talking about why your results are what they are. For example, if I believed that something was just about 100% true I'd use language like "strongly suggests" rather than saying things like "is" that imply certainty.

For your rationale, I'd suggest adding a very short bit near the start that addresses why anyone would bother to care about this research, rethinking how you talk about guard cells and try to get a bit smoother on how you integrate theory plus what you're doing together.

In the end it could look something like:
this is what transpiration is -> this is why you should care (reference) ->  these factors influence it -> focus in on sunlight (why do you believe light intensity will impact transpiration? (the big review reference + how transpiration works) -> ideally something very succinct that kind of justifies the method (e.g. choice of species)

There are other ways of doing a successful rationale but using this approach might help you tighten up your "flow" and show how it all links together + justify your experiment more.

For limitations:
- think about things like: can I apply this to all species? What's the advantages & disadvantages of using natural light (only the disadvantages are limitations but you want to be aware of both)? How many repetitions did we have? What wasn't/couldn't be controlled?
- consider the extent to which your results may have been impacted by these & how it impacts your conclusions. E.g. Obviously you don't think a potometer is completely useless and gives random info otherwise you wouldn't have used it. From what you've described, we wouldn't expect the potometer to give us a lower reading of transpiration than was true - make things like this more explicit :)

For extensions:
- Get more specific! Think back to your limitations and draw on those

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 09:21:00 pm »
Hi Bri,

I have fixed my assignment taking into consideration your feedback. I have attached an updated version onto this post, could you please have a look and let me know as to what I could improve on.

Thank you.

You're welcome :)

Please find feedback attached