Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:53:59 am

Author Topic: Auslan Resources  (Read 6487 times)  Share 

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
Auslan Resources
« on: June 26, 2019, 04:36:36 pm »
+10
Hey guys!
Thought I'd try to add some discussion to this thread as Auslan is one of my favourite things in the entire world!! I've compiled a list of all of my favourite resources for learning and I hope that these will help you and that you can add your own favourite resources to this thread to help others.

Okay... here we go:
- SignBank: Okay what Auslan student doesn't know about SignBank? It's the online dictionary of signs with heaps of videos and variations for all over Australia. If you've never used it before I would seriously recommend it.
http://www.auslan.org.au/dictionary/

- The FaceToFace app has been amazing as an on the go way to practice my basic signs. Is also really helpful for looking things up when you don't have data as you are able to download sets of videos in the app and save them offline. The signs taught are really practical and many common phrases are also included. Especially great for learning conversational Auslan as opposed to Auslan for business.

- A hardcopy dictionary: So great for taking to class! My teacher often borrows mine to double check his signs.

- Community Classes: Great to supplement what you learn at school and a great way to meet students of all different ages and life experiences as well as real experience being part of the Deaf community. My class ended about a year ago but I am still in contact with all of my classmates and we are a tight-knit group who regularly meet for coffee and conversation. Also, my teacher was an actual legend who provided a million resources and had really unique insight. He also taught a lot of deaf history.

- Community Conversation Groups: There is one at my local library as well as one in a local coffee shop in Melbourne's Northern suburbs. (PM me for details.) These have been great for improving fluency and conversational skills.

- Asphyxia's YouTube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGrimstones/videos She is amazing for beginners!! She was also recently in a concert which I had the privilege of going to see with my Auslan buddies.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
Re: Auslan Resources
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 05:14:59 pm »
+3
Awesome thread, thanks for starting it :D I think this is a skill that should definitely be more widely taught.

I learnt AUSLAN for a few years when I was in primary school and it was a really fun experience! Many years later I still remember the alphabet and how to sign parts of some Shannon Noll songs (unsure why we learnt these) and the national anthem lol. I think it's something I'd like to take up learning again once I've finished uni.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 09:56:03 pm »
+7
An Introduction:
There are heaps of tips out there about learning languages, but many of them do not apply to a sign language as there is no "pronunciation" or "spelling" but rather the key is fluid and accurate movements with facial expression to match. It is also a language deeply connected to Deaf culture, the way that other languages are connected to a culture, so that aspect has a large bearing on how you learn it. I have been doing some reading a thought I would save some articles about how to learn sign language and collate their key tips.

The Articles:
Methods to Learn Sign Language

Respecting Deaf Culture as a Sign Language Student

Tips About Which Signs To Learn and How to Go About It

My Favourite Tips:
1. Facial expressions are key: Deaf people use facial expressions to determine the mood of the conversation or topic. It also brings more character to the sign language. Don’t be afraid to be expressive, as the teacher or video learner will show you.

2. Take a class from a deaf teacher. What better way to learn than from a fluent Native Signer? Too often in colleges and schools these teaching jobs go to hearing people. (Laura's edition: Deaf teachers also have a wealth of knowledge about Deaf culture.)

3. Practice, practice, practice. Continue to practice words you’ve already learned while at the same time add new ones.

4. As you find yourself growing more comfortable with what you’ve learned, be sure to find someone who also knows sign language that you can communicate with so that you can test what you’ve learned.

Also:
Found Asphxia's blog page. She is amazing and I would highly recommend her for beginners!!

VicDeaf also has a YouTube channel with some basic signs. I think they are now called Expression Australia.

jessicah_atarnotes

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 04:42:41 pm »
+3
This is an awesome thread laura_, thanks for starting it! I never did VCE AUSLAN but I did recently do a winter intensive subject at university where I learnt basic AUSLAN and about the Deaf community and culture. Easily one of the best subjects I've ever taken!

I'll be keeping an eye out for any updates on this thread for sure. Would love to also make a few posts in the future too, but for now I'll just contribute one of my favourite AUSLAN sites: https://www.auslanstorybooks.com/ ;D

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 04:50:14 pm »
+1
This is an awesome thread laura_, thanks for starting it! I never did VCE AUSLAN but I did recently do a winter intensive subject at university where I learnt basic AUSLAN and about the Deaf community and culture. Easily one of the best subjects I've ever taken!

I'll be keeping an eye out for any updates on this thread for sure. Would love to also make a few posts in the future too, but for now I'll just contribute one of my favourite AUSLAN sites: https://www.auslanstorybooks.com/ ;D

That is so cool to hear! It really is such a wonderful subject. I am looking at studying it at LaTrobe (if I go there), although I think that Melbourne also offers it.

Thanks so much for the link! Already had a quick look around the site and I can tell it will be a favourite of mine. (I might even get it out for the kids at work.  ;D)

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 05:57:39 pm »
Another awesome resource has been the Face-to-Face app (that's in the Apple App Store). It has collections of signs and you can download whole sets to your phone to be stored in the app. It's great for learning on the go and could also be a good communication tool. It's like a video dictionary. Would recommend.