Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 08:15:35 am

Author Topic: In VCE, what's the difference between English, EAL and English Language?  (Read 13379 times)  Share 

hellosir

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Currently planning my vce subjects 3 years in advance so any help would be appreciated :)

cookiedream

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +410
Re: In VCE, what's the difference between English, EAL and English Language?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 08:45:55 pm »
+13
Currently planning my vce subjects 3 years in advance so any help would be appreciated :)

Hello!

Woah, 3 years in advance?! That's quite early to be making these decisions already, imo.

Here's what I know:

Mainstream: Involves language analyses, text responses and (from this year onwards) a comparative piece. One of the SACs is an oral presentation as well. Have heard mixed responses from several of my friends and other people, with some saying it was really boring while others genuinely enjoying it. I've also heard some discussion about its subjectivity - that is, you could potentially get marked down if your marker believes you should've said this and this instead, or if they believe that you haven't looked at the text (novel or text for language analysis) in enough detail. Vocabulary is essential to build as well.

EAL (English as an Additional Language): Is said to be slightly easier, but I think you need to fulfil certain criteria regarding residence overseas, etc. Check with your VCE co-ordinator if you meet these eligibility criteria. I've also seen that in order to fulfil the prerequisite for most universities, a high study score is required for EAL than for other Englishes. For example, Monash Medicine requires a raw 30 in the other Englishes, but a raw 35 in EAL.

Okay, now the subject that I studied this year (and the one which I actually know stuff about, although I'm screwed for tomorrow's exam help)

English Language: Involves heavy focus on language analysis, where you need to memorise quite a few terms ('metalanguage') regarding grammar and other language choices and strategies. Topics of the 3/4 course including very interesting concepts such as: Australian identity, formal and informal language, group identity, jargon, political correctness, public language, political language, nature of taboo, nature of speaking and writing, impact of technology on language and more!

The exam is in three sections: Short Answer Questions (Section A), Analytical Commentary (Section B) and Essay (Section C). For Section A and B, VCAA provides you with two separate texts for each. For Section C, VCAA provides about 3-4 'stimuli' relating to a question at the bottom of the page. Usually there are 3 questions, each based on different topics, from which you can choose one.

Section A involves around 4-6 questions which may include looking at a certain section of the given text and analysing a sentence structure, function, purpose, etc. or looking at a certain noun or verb phrase, etc etc. Specificity to the transcript and its context is crucial here, as is also for Section B.

Section B includes having to look at a text's function, audience, formality, type, domain, etc. and relating these to its overall context (e.g. having a paragraph on the formal features of a political speech and analysing these in depth). Metalanguage is very important in here, just like for Section A as well.

Section C is broader and more open to your own ideas of your chosen topic, where structure and fluency of your argument is important. Metalanguage enhances your response here as well. The evidence needed to support your arguments should be sourced from the language use you see around you (e.g. on television, by politicians, radio, social media) as well as the stimulus itself. The stimulus may include an excerpt from a newspaper article, a comic, a section of an opinion piece, etc etc. Your response is also strengthened through memorisation of linguist quotes (and if you do happen to study English Language, David Crystal is your go-to linguist!!)

I can't say much about English Mainstream and EAL. But overall, whilst English Language is not easy, it's really fun and definitely worth taking! I've learned a lot from this subject and I don't think I'll be able to forget it long after exams are over (since it's so applicable to real life!!).

While it's good to have a plan in advance, I highly recommend revisiting your decision at the end of Year 10 (unless you're taking English in Year 11)

Although I do hope you pick Lang ;D

Hope that helped!

-cookiedream
VCE: (click the links below to view my guides)
2016: Methods [44], Psych [48]
2017: Bio [50], Eng Lang, Chem, Spec
ATAR: 99.75 | UMAT: 88th
2018-2022: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

! No longer offering tutoring !

mtDNA

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +55
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 12:28:31 am »
+3
Section C is broader and more open to your own ideas of your chosen topic, where structure and fluency of your argument is important. Metalanguage enhances your response here as well. The evidence needed to support your arguments should be sourced from the language use you see around you (e.g. on television, by politicians, radio, social media) as well as the stimulus itself. The stimulus may include an excerpt from a newspaper article, a comic, a section of an opinion piece, etc etc. Your response is also strengthened through memorisation of linguist quotes (and if you do happen to study English Language, David Crystal is your go-to linguist!!)

Burridge* (No one is better than Burridge, not even Crystal  ;D )

On a serious note though, I agree with everything cookiedream has said. Perhaps I might mention that EL scales up 3-4, whilst normal English goes down 1  :P But yea, it really depends on your preference; I chose EL because English simply didn’t stimulate me, so EL (like spec) was there to pretty much challenge me - so note that there is a lot more work required for EL than normal English (imo). So if you’re up for the challenge, then language is your best way to go!

Tutoring by ATAR Notes - learn more!

ATAR: 99.20
Biomedicine (Unimelb): 2018-2020
Doctor of Medicine (Unimelb): 2021-2024

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 01:08:14 am »
+2
I did mainstream English and I think it's a great choice if you're a bit of an all-rounder in English or like more than one aspect of it :)

I personally chose it because I enjoyed and was good at both text response and language analysis and didn't want to cut out any aspects (and had already been equipped with the skills to do the subject from earlier years as mainstream is reasonably similar to the things you do in English earlier in high school) :)

English Language is often more of a popular subject with people who do the maths and science side of subjects because it's quite analytical - that being said, you can do the subject with any combination of subjects. The other users have given some really good overviews of EL here!

There's also Literature - which is more the studying texts side of English. I don't really know the specifics of it, though, so will leave that to someone else. :)

EAL (English as an additional language) is based off mainstream English and you have to meet criteria to be able to do it - you have to have been a resident in Australia, New Zealand or another predominantly English-speaking country for no more than 7 years (cumulatively) and English can't have been your main language of instruction for more than 7 years over your education.

If you're worried - best to have a chat to your English teacher about what they think might fit you best. But really, I wouldn't be stressing about your subject decisions just yet - still a few years to go! :)