Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:39:34 am

Author Topic: What are you reading at the moment?  (Read 61480 times)

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
Re: What are you reading at the moment?
« Reply #150 on: April 19, 2019, 11:55:12 am »
+3
Been in a slump with Ascension (Victor Dixen) and Mansfield Park (Jane Austen), so I've decided to start reading The Travelling Cat Chronicles (Hiro Arikawa) to pull myself out of said slump!
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Eucalypt

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #151 on: May 06, 2019, 05:39:03 pm »
+6
I just finished the audiobook of Tell the Truth Shame the Devil by Melina Marchetta (one of my favourite authors). I'd read the book previously and loved it, but Zaqi Ismail (who reads it) made me fall in love with it even more. I highly recommend this one.

I've also been reading Bridge of Clay (the newest Markus Zusak) for a while, and I'm finally getting into it. I went into it expecting something similar to The Book Thief and was sort of disappointed when it wasn't. Anyway, I'm really liking it now, it's beautifully written, but beautiful in a very different way to The Book Thief.

Would love a recommendation on what to read next, they've been so good, I need something that can live up to them both.

lilac_23

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #152 on: May 07, 2019, 05:39:38 pm »
+6
I'm currently reading a book called "Homo Deus" by Yuval Noah Harari. Most people have heard of Harari through his book, "Sapiens", which covers how human civilisation has evolved over time to become what we are today. Homo Deus is the second of that series and focusses more on what narratives humans rely on to navigate today's world, as well as what obstacles humans will face in the future. He starts off discussing how in future humans will thrive for infinite happiness, immortality and, through the assistance of medical evolution and technology, divinity. Pretty thought provoking stuff!!

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #153 on: May 07, 2019, 06:06:36 pm »
I'm currently reading a book called "Homo Deus" by Yuval Noah Harari. Most people have heard of Harari through his book, "Sapiens", which covers how human civilisation has evolved over time to become what we are today. Homo Deus is the second of that series and focusses more on what narratives humans rely on to navigate today's world, as well as what obstacles humans will face in the future. He starts off discussing how in future humans will thrive for infinite happiness, immortality and, through the assistance of medical evolution and technology, divinity. Pretty thought provoking stuff!!

Nice!!! I have homo Deus and 21 lessons on the top of my reading list. Really enjoyed Sapiens a lot, the last chapter was pretty scary stuff to be honest : :-\. Great book!
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

anna.comet

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #154 on: May 07, 2019, 06:31:37 pm »
+4
I just finished reading Clementine Ford's Fight Like a Girl, which is a KICKASS book and everyone should read it (especially men)!!

It's so important to understand the inequalities between men and women in contemporary society, and Ford does a great job of mixing in her own anecdotes, and research she has done regarding mental health issues, body positivity, eating disorders, intersectional feminism, rape culture and more. Further, she's a Melburnian, so I always love supporting local writers!

I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to be up-to-date on how to live and treat others in modern society (so... suitable for everyone)!  ;D

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #155 on: May 24, 2019, 06:52:31 pm »
+2
I just finished Unwind by Neal Shusterman. Wow it got really creepy and unsettling towards the end, but really good!
It's set in a futuristic dystopia where kids aged 13-18 can legally be 'unwound' where they aren't killed, but their bodies are completely taken apart and used for like transplants and stuff, so they don't die but 'live in a divided state'. Good book!
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

Rom_Dog

• Adventurer
  • You gotta' just straight up eat the lettuce
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #156 on: May 25, 2019, 10:02:20 am »
+1
I just finished Inferno by Dante! It was definitely a tough read but I read notes alongside it to help understand the allusions in the text. I also started reading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll, absurdist fiction can be very interesting and artistic, plus the book has a few illustrations which helps combat my 2 second attention span hahaha

2019 - 2021: Biomed @ Monash!

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #157 on: May 25, 2019, 10:43:41 am »
+1
I've nearly finished with my reviewer's copy of 'Eyes of Tamburah' by Maria V. Snyder, but it's so good! 100% recommending it when it is released mid-June! :D
It has enough adventure and suspense to keep me going through its ~500 pages, and it feels a little like tomb raider, which is cool haha. ^-^

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #158 on: June 04, 2019, 07:12:25 pm »
+1
Like a House on Fire by Cate Kennedy

includes multiple short stories and all are  set Australia 
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #159 on: June 04, 2019, 08:02:12 pm »
+2
Currently reading: Toxic (Lydia Kang)
I also just finished Aurora Rising (Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff) recently, so good!

Just bought two books that I'm uber keen to start soon:
* Four Dead Queens (Astrid Scholte)
* Kindred: 12 Queer #LoveOZYA stories (edited by Michael Earp)
Both are Australian, and I was lucky enough to meet Astrid at a book party last Saturday!!!

Tatlidil

• Forum Regular
  • Math is Life
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #160 on: June 15, 2019, 09:02:54 pm »
+2
started The Farseer Trilogy (By Robin Hobb)
Only read a few pages so far...I love my Fiction!

Eucalypt

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #161 on: June 17, 2019, 05:30:20 pm »
+1
Currently reading A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara. I have been reading this book for over a year now, (sorry to the friend who lent it to me) and recently I decided that I would give it another go. It is heartbreakingly beautiful, but one of the saddest books I have ever read (I made the mistake of reading some whilst tired and cranky, it did not end well). I'm stuck again a bit over halfway through because it was too sad to read, and am taking a little time to read something lighthearted for a bit.

Has anyone else read this one? I need some motivation to finish it and would love some perspective.

interessant

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #162 on: June 17, 2019, 10:31:15 pm »
+1
I’m nearly finished reading Eucalyptus by Murray Bail - the beginning wasn’t very attention grabbing, but after the halfway mark and I’m hooked. It’s set in outback Australia - one of those typical Aussie books.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #163 on: June 20, 2019, 09:19:32 pm »
+1
Just finished "Unspeakable" by Abbie Rushton. (Thanks two-hour communte ::) ). Such an attention-grabbing book with a main character you can fall in love with and understand deeply but also a fantastic plot, heaps of mystery and a twist ending. Would definitely recommend. It feels like a more mature version of "Silence is Goldfish". Also reminds me of a book I read a while back called "A Quiet Kind of Thunder".

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #164 on: June 20, 2019, 11:33:44 pm »
+1
Currently in the middle of 'The Paper & Hearts Society' by booktuber Lucy Powrie!
It's such a good little light read, and I see a lot of myself in the characters! :D