Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:56:16 am

Author Topic: Should I drop 3/4 Chem?  (Read 2433 times)  Share 

Ayeong

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Should I drop 3/4 Chem?
« on: March 08, 2021, 12:22:33 am »
Hey everyone, not sure if this is entirely related to the Chemistry forum, but since it's what I'm thinking of dropping I just decided to post my question in here. Currently having trouble deciding if I should drop 3/4 Chem and if that's even possible... (since if I dropped it, I would have to do 4 subjects that would directly count towards my atar)

Some context: I love chemistry but I'm very bad at it. Last year I got 22% on the practise exam and passed most of my sacs being around the 65% marks.

This year I am struggling as much as ever, as much as I would like to find the motivation to try harder, I'm struggling to find a balance in the time I spend on studying for each of my subjects.

The subjects I'm doing this year are:
- Japanese Second Language
- English Language
- Maths Methods
- Chemistry (Want to drop it though...)
- Literature (picked it up this year and I love it)

I love Chem, but how bad I'm doing in it as a subject is making me dislike it in general..

A list of pros/cons if I drop and also the main reasons why I want to drop Chemistry:

Reasons I want to drop Chem
- Too difficult for me and I'm starting to dislike the subject in general
- Realised that I won't need it for my future (0 correlation - I want to become a librarian technician and it's a diploma)
- Not enjoying the subject anymore, losing motivation in general
- Not exactly aiming for a super high atar but... I BELIEVE I could get a higher atar if I dropped chem and put more effort into the subjects I enjoy rather than put an equal amount for each subject
- I would like to enjoy my final year of schooling (not dreading it because of one subject)

Pros
- I can focus by putting more time into studying the subjects that I enjoy

Cons
- I must pass all 4 subjects (pretty confident with doing so as I enjoy them all)

What are your thoughts? Should I drop it or just endure for the rest of the year...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 12:25:43 am by Ayeong »

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
Re: Should I drop 3/4 Chem?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 04:36:24 pm »
Hey everyone, not sure if this is entirely related to the Chemistry forum, but since it's what I'm thinking of dropping I just decided to post my question in here. Currently having trouble deciding if I should drop 3/4 Chem and if that's even possible... (since if I dropped it, I would have to do 4 subjects that would directly count towards my atar)

Some context: I love chemistry but I'm very bad at it. Last year I got 22% on the practise exam and passed most of my sacs being around the 65% marks.

This year I am struggling as much as ever, as much as I would like to find the motivation to try harder, I'm struggling to find a balance in the time I spend on studying for each of my subjects.

The subjects I'm doing this year are:
- Japanese Second Language
- English Language
- Maths Methods
- Chemistry (Want to drop it though...)
- Literature (picked it up this year and I love it)

I love Chem, but how bad I'm doing in it as a subject is making me dislike it in general..

A list of pros/cons if I drop and also the main reasons why I want to drop Chemistry:

Reasons I want to drop Chem
- Too difficult for me and I'm starting to dislike the subject in general
- Realised that I won't need it for my future (0 correlation - I want to become a librarian technician and it's a diploma)
- Not enjoying the subject anymore, losing motivation in general
- Not exactly aiming for a super high atar but... I BELIEVE I could get a higher atar if I dropped chem and put more effort into the subjects I enjoy rather than put an equal amount for each subject
- I would like to enjoy my final year of schooling (not dreading it because of one subject)

Pros
- I can focus by putting more time into studying the subjects that I enjoy

Cons
- I must pass all 4 subjects (pretty confident with doing so as I enjoy them all)

What are your thoughts? Should I drop it or just endure for the rest of the year...
Chemistry student this year who has been barely passing the subject, I encourage you to just keep it. It won't be that bad I promise, after all even if you scored a study score of 20 at the end of the year it would still contribute 2.4 (chemistry scales up) to your ATAR. Just keep it, but put in no effort.