Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:14:45 am

Author Topic: MHS Yr 10 Entry 2022  (Read 30833 times)  Share 

AMC for life

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
Re: MHS Yr 10 Entry 2022
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2020, 02:10:01 pm »
+1
can someone please help i am so confused on what i need to study and where i can go too study if i need to. I know the tests are similar but i dont know what subjects there will be and with 6 moths left  i think i am stuffed. can someone help or at least share what they have studied and/or where? PLEASE HELP ME!!! :(

SanchaTheSeeker

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2020, 12:02:12 am »
+2
can someone please help i am so confused on what i need to study and where i can go too study if i need to. I know the tests are similar but i dont know what subjects there will be and with 6 moths left  i think i am stuffed. can someone help or at least share what they have studied and/or where? PLEASE HELP ME!!! :(

Alright, calm down hehe
The tests are the same as Year 9 - Math, Numerical, Verbal, either narrative or persuasive, reading comp. Use the Year 9 practise tests on the website. To be completely honest, I didn't study but others tend to use textbooks and this site (https://puzzlersworld.com/puzzles/number-puzzles/) for numerical
Honestly, something that works for someone else may not work for you - target your weaknesses and focus on what you struggle with, but don't neglet the other subjects
“Our life is a constant journey, from birth to death. The landscape changes, the people change, our needs change, but the train keeps moving. Life is the train, not the station.”

― Paulo Coelho

Train nerd, Venturer Scout, and JMSS hoomun

JMSS guide: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=189547

ig: @sfaunncgha

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2020, 08:55:54 am »
+1
I did the select entry test way back in 2017, 2018 and last year. My advice especially for math would be to study math that is a year ahead of you and do some practice exams. Make you your knowledge in solid. For reading compression focus on speed as well as absorbing information, MAKE SURE YOU READ THE QUESTION BEFORE READING THE TEXT (best advice ever). Essay writing, focus on quality and speed, make sure your piece has minimum mistakes in it. Numerical reasoning and verbal reasoning, well there is not much that can be done to prepare for that. So just do practice exams for those ones, I heard those test are to test logic and reasoning not knowledge.

aaron6785

• Trendsetter
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2020, 02:51:09 pm »
+1
hi, anyone still here?? i did the jmss entrance exam yesterday and feel like i went alright. just wanted to know whether the maths would be considerably harder for the mhs yr 10 entry exam too. also is anyone going to talk about it as it is only a few days away??

AMC for life

• Trendsetter
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2020, 08:33:31 am »
+1
hi, anyone still here?? i did the jmss entrance exam yesterday and feel like i went alright. just wanted to know whether the maths would be considerably harder for the mhs yr 10 entry exam too. also is anyone going to talk about it as it is only a few days away??
Hey dude, I have applied for the MHS exam as well, but I am not sure how difficult it will be as I haven't done any other selective school exams. I am just a bit worried if the exam will even go ahead on Saturday. Mainly because of stage 4 lockdown, and if it is online, then it would just be really really sketchy.

aaron6785

• Trendsetter
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2020, 08:41:05 am »
+1
Hey dude, I have applied for the MHS exam as well, but I am not sure how difficult it will be as I haven't done any other selective school exams. I am just a bit worried if the exam will even go ahead on Saturday. Mainly because of stage 4 lockdown, and if it is online, then it would just be really really sketchy.
It's definitely online cuz i just did the jmss entrance exam online on saturday. The online exam was alright and since it was jmss it wasn't that hard, writing was alright i didn't finish the informative but i finished the prac. There will be an essay for mhs, it should most likely be creative but there is a chance of it being persuasive. i really hope it's creative.

Tommy_01

• Forum Regular
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2020, 10:31:36 am »
it will most likely be creative, especially considering that it is online and with persuasive you look online for statistics and
evidence.
As well as, the examiners are probably more interested in your creative/artistic side rather than your analytic side, as all the other tests are focused on that. 

mygoalissuccess

• Adventurer
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2020, 09:20:21 am »
Does anyone know what contents to cover for MHS Year 10 entry?

MAN0033

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2020, 10:28:19 pm »
Hey,

So edutest sent out the details for the test.  There are four components only. Also, what would you need to score to make MHS would 2-4 be enough?

Verbal
Numerical
Reading
Maths

Hope this helps, MAN0033

aaron6785

• Trendsetter
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2020, 08:42:34 am »
Oh no there's no writing :'( :'( :'( :'( i was working so hard and practising writing cuz it would have been an easy superior for me :'( :'( :'( :'( thats not fair there was writing for jmss :'( :'( :'( :'(

MAN0033

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2020, 09:42:54 am »
I am happy there is no writing. I can focus on the verbal and reading where I struggle a bit.

• MOTM: July 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +158
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2020, 10:24:33 am »
I am happy there is no writing. I can focus on the verbal and reading where I struggle a bit.
In my opinion, the fact that they cancelled a major component is not going to put any of the applicants at an advantage. It will only make the exam more competitive, I am not certain how much 5 subjects affects your score compared to 4 subjects but surely they're just proportions but you don't know. They have left bits out that most people find difficult, making it harder to seperate other students for rankings, removing a component will also make the maxinium aggregate score lower, which doesn't put any applicants at a good position.

And at this point, considering the exam is in 3 days, I will suggest just revising the concepts you have been studying for, cramming in information will not help you.
So edutest sent out the details for the test.  There are four components only. Also, what would you need to score to make MHS would 2-4 be enough?
We don't know, I think it really depends how well your perform on each category. Top 11% of students who sit the exam will be awarded a superior, but the people who perform top 1% will ultimately have a better superior and overall score for that section. Therefore, it is not possible to determine which student is likely to receive a place by comparing parent reports. Students are ranked in order of mark (aggregate score) and selected by this order and in accordance with the selection criterion.

I believe how it works, is that edutest adds up all of the total scores and puts students in a ranking accordingly. For instance if a student gets, 40/60 for maths, 30/50 for reading, 30/50 for numerical, 40/60 for verbal, their aggregate score (total mark) would be 40+30+30+40 = 140
it will most likely be creative, especially considering that it is online and with persuasive you look online for statistics and
evidence.
As well as, the examiners are probably more interested in your creative/artistic side rather than your analytic side, as all the other tests are focused on that. 
You cannot look 'online for statistics'. The email detailing the examination arrangements explicitely states that your IP must be traceable throughout the duration of the exam. To elaborate, this means that the company that is providing the online test will have access to your browsing history, and what you are doing 'online'. Icognito also doesn't hide your IP address, and all devices in your household will share the same IP address, so they will be able to see if you are searching online for statistics. Furthermore, some students believe that they can circumvent this strict guideline by using a proxy/VPN. But what they do not realise is that websites also have the ability to detect a network change hence being able to identify if a VPN is being used. If they are able to identify if a VPN is being used, that ultimately means, the student has failed to abide the guidelines and could potentially be blacklisted. However, there is no writing component anymore, but I would thought I would add that information.

Please note I am not in any position to be giving you all advice as I do not have experience with the MHS Year 10 entance exam. However, I posted this as I thought I could assist you all to a certain degree.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 11:23:39 am by 1729 »

MAN0033

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2020, 11:42:06 am »
Hi, 1729

Whatever you stated is true. The exam would become more competitive as many people would get 4 superiors or 3 superiors out of 4 superiors. Also, because the test is going to be conducted online people would cheat in verbal reasoning and use calculators in maths. This would put people at a disadvantage and it would be harder for applicants to enter into year 10 for MHS.

For the score, I agree that you would need a good average score out of 220. Like 170 or 150 but in the end, it also depends on your application form, because if you have good extracurricular and sporting achievements it would put you in a good position although you get 2 superiors.

Also, what happens if people use mobile data is this still traceable?

Tommy_01

• Forum Regular
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2020, 11:55:14 am »
Wait so is no internet access allowed for the rest of the household? Also will they only have access to your internet browsing throughout the test. Before and after the test, they wont right.

Also what if data is being used, is it still traceable?

MAN0033

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2020, 12:03:52 pm »
That is what I am saying. If you use mobile data they can't trace you.