Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 12:01:29 am

Author Topic: Past Papers  (Read 4313 times)  Share 

cthulu

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
Past Papers
« on: July 08, 2018, 10:32:14 am »
Hey guys,

My trials is in the first day back for software and I have found 0 past papers that have solutions. Can anyone share some?

Thanks

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575

JTrudeau

• Trendsetter
  • Master of the Meeses
  • Respect: +90
Re: Past Papers
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 12:07:39 pm »
+2
Yeah, Software papers are few and far in between. My teacher had handful of past trial papers, but that was about it. My recommendation is to go through the HSC papers, working your way back. The pre-2001 exams ("3-unit Computing Studies") can give you extra practice questions for Option 2, algorithms, system modelling tools, etc-- I borrowed it from my teacher, but the library might still have them.

OG and I might write up a few practice trial papers -- is there any topic/section you'd like to cover in particular? We'll probably release them section by section (so you can work on them as we write them), so let us know! :)
Data Science, Finance || University of Sydney
== First in State for Software Design and Development 2017 ==
Advanced English | Maths Extension 1 | Maths Extension 2 | Economics | Software Design & Development | Chemistry

cthulu

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 12:36:40 pm »
Hi thanks for the helpful responses.

I don't have any problem with the short answer questions because thats just memorising, but our teacher is going to kill us with algorithms and system modelling tools. He is adding an extra section just for them, oh and also assembly language. Did you guys do that often, we learnt it by playing the game TIS-100.

I'm fine with whichever section you guys do first.

Thanks for the help, you guys are awesome! I can probably help by looking up questions online or just picking things from the syllabus.

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 11:54:13 pm »
Yeah he said that he's replacing the whole option topic with extra algorithms and assembler code O.o
Also just a quick question if you don't mind me asking,
Do the HSC examiners desk check your algorithms or do they just do a rough check?, because often
Ive had to explain to my teacher how my algorithms work and this caused me to get 2/3 extra marks!

JTrudeau

• Trendsetter
  • Master of the Meeses
  • Respect: +90
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 04:58:08 pm »
+1
Yeah he said that he's replacing the whole option topic with extra algorithms and assembler code O.o
Also just a quick question if you don't mind me asking,
Do the HSC examiners desk check your algorithms or do they just do a rough check?, because often
Ive had to explain to my teacher how my algorithms work and this caused me to get 2/3 extra marks!

I'm actually not sure. It seems like my teacher does a mental desk check (because there are pen dots at the end of each line where he follows the logic line by line), but I've definitely had to explain my algorithm logic a couple of times.

Most of the time there's an obvious approach that the question wants you to go, and if you hit that the marker's already thinking "Okay, this person knows what they're doing". Also try to make sure your loops/selection statements are indented on the paper, and use intrinsic documentation to further signal your logic.

Hope this helps!
Data Science, Finance || University of Sydney
== First in State for Software Design and Development 2017 ==
Advanced English | Maths Extension 1 | Maths Extension 2 | Economics | Software Design & Development | Chemistry

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 10:14:41 pm »
Thanks for the reply,  :)
I will probably comment on my code when writing algorithms now.

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 06:40:50 pm »
+1
Hi, If its okay I have another question  :)

What is Extrinsic Documentation? I cannot find it anywhere in the Samuel Davis textbook..
and Also

For around a 5 marker or so algorithm question, how long should you look to spend on it?

Thanks in Advance!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 07:02:08 pm by DrDusk »

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 10:08:54 pm »
Hi, If its okay I have another question  :)

What is Extrinsic Documentation? I cannot find it anywhere in the Samuel Davis textbook..
and Also

For around a 5 marker or so algorithm question, how long should you look to spend on it?

Thanks in Advance!
Hey, DrDusk!

Been extremely busy with work - so apologies for the late reply!
There is no "standard" definition for extrinsic documentation; we only ever have instrinsic documentation. :)