Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:54:49 am

Author Topic: How do you find the motivation for methods, and get over the boredom?  (Read 623 times)  Share 

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
I'm starting to get really frustrated with this subject. I don't like the content, it's very repetitive, yet I am terrible at it for many reasons such as not practicing. Plus how I'm being taught which is via VSV is all over the place. We haven't even learnt trig functions and barely scratched the surface of exponential functions, but have dabbled into differentiation, composite function but never gone completely there in depth. I contacting the teacher she said that we won't use the textbook much, and the booklet of practice questions from the school is all I need. With going all over the place it's hard to use the textbook because everything I do is out of order.

I wonder if I should go out on my own and do more textbook questions which look quite intimidating or just stick to the course like my teacher said but ahh it's just all confusing. However I am struggling to find the motivation, and if I don't start doing extra questions or work I am going to struggle soon.
My problem is that because it is so much repetition, boring content, I forget what I just did after 10 minutes, makes it really frustrating so I lose motivation fast. I guess i'm a bit lost, and this is a mini rant over my frustration..
I'm also quite worried about my SAC which is an application one the runs over two weeks a month into term two.
So my question is the title: how do you find the motivation for methods and get over the boredom?
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
Re: How do you find the motivation for methods, and get over the boredom?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 06:50:13 pm »
+4
My motivation for methods actually stems from the repetition of concepts. Once you can fully understand a certain concept and do a few questions based around it, you are very unlikely to forget about it if you revisit it at suitable intervals. And although these concepts are always the same, the way you apply them greatly differs, which is where the variation of maths stems from. This is where things get interesting - each question has its own distinguishing features, and can be solved using a variety of different methods. You choose how you want to solve those difficult application questions, learn the different ways they can be approached, and you'll be on track soon enough.

Maths is, very obviously, a practice-oriented subject. Learning different ways to apply concepts to questions only comes with practice. Perhaps, if you feel like things are getting repetitive, set aside 10 questions from different topics each day that require knowledge of different things as a brain refresher, or whenever you are bored. Drawing from different aspects of the methods course may be less repetitive for you, and offer new opportunities to apply your knowledge.

Although doing questions from the textbook isn't exactly necessary, especially if you are receiving external booklets, it may be worthwhile to attempt the chapter reviews, which are more difficult in nature and segues nicely into VCAA-style questions. It is also helpful to go in order, since everything you learn is a build-up of what you already know. It's best to go with what VSV teaches, but self-learning is always an option if you are willing to learn it in a different order.
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
Re: How do you find the motivation for methods, and get over the boredom?
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 11:25:33 pm »
+2
My motivation for methods actually stems from the repetition of concepts. Once you can fully understand a certain concept and do a few questions based around it, you are very unlikely to forget about it if you revisit it at suitable intervals. And although these concepts are always the same, the way you apply them greatly differs, which is where the variation of maths stems from. This is where things get interesting - each question has its own distinguishing features, and can be solved using a variety of different methods. You choose how you want to solve those difficult application questions, learn the different ways they can be approached, and you'll be on track soon enough.

Maths is, very obviously, a practice-oriented subject. Learning different ways to apply concepts to questions only comes with practice. Perhaps, if you feel like things are getting repetitive, set aside 10 questions from different topics each day that require knowledge of different things as a brain refresher, or whenever you are bored. Drawing from different aspects of the methods course may be less repetitive for you, and offer new opportunities to apply your knowledge.

Although doing questions from the textbook isn't exactly necessary, especially if you are receiving external booklets, it may be worthwhile to attempt the chapter reviews, which are more difficult in nature and segues nicely into VCAA-style questions. It is also helpful to go in order, since everything you learn is a build-up of what you already know. It's best to go with what VSV teaches, but self-learning is always an option if you are willing to learn it in a different order.
Thank you for your advice it has put me a bit more at ease, i'll try find my motivation from yours method then as it seems pretty sound. I just need to change my mind set and get down to practicing. I'll try doing 10 a day from each topic, which I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner...and I completely forgot about the review questions!
So once again thank you so much :)
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash