Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:49:43 am

Author Topic: Maintaining a high WAM  (Read 2123 times)  Share 

kat05

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Maintaining a high WAM
« on: January 02, 2021, 08:08:08 pm »
+1
Hi there,
I was wondering how hard is it to maintain a high WAM at Monash Uni for Bachelor of Science? E.g. 80%
What are some study techniques successful uni students use to achieving really high marks?

dutyfree

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +70
Re: Maintaining a high WAM
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 09:18:23 pm »
+10
Hey hey,
Personally, I think it is very doable, but you have to be consistently motivated to do every little task well + timetable intensely to keep up with the workload.
Strategies I use:
1.   I’m aware of how I perform mediocre in exams vs quite well in-semester tasks – labs, essays etc. So, I make sure to maximise my marks on every minor quiz, worksheet (even the ones worth <1%) because they do add up, this allows me more leeway in exams.
2.   At the start of each semester, I look at the unit guides, unit reviews and set up an overarching timeline with all the assessments in each week. During the sem, I make weekly and daily to-do lists with assessment deadlines.
3.   In first year, I experimented with my note-taking style. First sem, handwriting: personally, found it too laborious, but it did help me retain info. Second sem, typing: quicker, can make edits, diagrams, but had difficulty avoiding copying slabs of info. directly.
Solution: type weekly notes, near exams – handwrite little summaries, draw diagrams/ flowcharts.
4.   I picked up units that I’m interested in and can manage together content-wise, eg: 2 lab units, 1 maths, 1 arts
5.   Met up/ emailed/communicated with professors/tutors regularly. I highly recommend asking for tips/ help with the unit content/ motivation levels, even if you aren’t performing that bad. They are super helpful!
6.   I’ve only just finished my 1st year, but I made sure to use a lot of the available resources: attend the extra sessions of help from the professors, PASS, study tips seminars by student societies, use forumsss!!
Hope this helps!
 :)
2018: ATaR: 98.8
2019: quarter-life crisis
2020: Bachelor of Science @ Monash Uni

kat05

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 07:37:45 pm »
Hey! Thank you so much for your advice :) What university forums can I use (esp for Monash Uni)?

dutyfree

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 06:44:47 pm »
+3
No worries :) kat05!
So, with public forums – I used Quora quite a bit, especially for chem labs. If I was still stuck with content, even after watching videos, they had solid explanations (by supposedly credible users). I lurked on Atarnotes – read up on subject reviews before selection and spent way too much time reading posts by users with similar goals. I also use reddit – they have guides + tips (currently using it for gamsat).
With uni forums - on Moodle (where you have all your unit info), there’s a seemingly obvious ‘forum’ button, sometimes under the communication tab. You can chuck all your questions here and your tutors will usually answer within 2 days. I discovered this too late and realised nearly every question I had about an assignment, someone else had asked and so the answers were all there.
I also recommend getting into the FB unit chats. At the start of each semester, stalkerspace or science first years pages will have a few posts about creating unit chats – get into these fast, before they get filled. I found these pretty helpful + you can make some new friends too.
Goodluck!

kat05

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 12:43:33 pm »
No worries :) kat05!
So, with public forums – I used Quora quite a bit, especially for chem labs. If I was still stuck with content, even after watching videos, they had solid explanations (by supposedly credible users). I lurked on Atarnotes – read up on subject reviews before selection and spent way too much time reading posts by users with similar goals. I also use reddit – they have guides + tips (currently using it for gamsat).
With uni forums - on Moodle (where you have all your unit info), there’s a seemingly obvious ‘forum’ button, sometimes under the communication tab. You can chuck all your questions here and your tutors will usually answer within 2 days. I discovered this too late and realised nearly every question I had about an assignment, someone else had asked and so the answers were all there.
I also recommend getting into the FB unit chats. At the start of each semester, stalkerspace or science first years pages will have a few posts about creating unit chats – get into these fast, before they get filled. I found these pretty helpful + you can make some new friends too.
Goodluck!
Thank you so much!! I have been wondering these days whether Science would be too hard for me haha. I have done 3 sciences in VCE and thinking about doing research assignments etc is quite distasteful (even though science itself isn't the worst thing) and i don't know if I will be able to maintain a good GPA/WAM so what is your advice?

dutyfree

• Trailblazer
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 04:13:58 pm »
+4
Mm I’m not quite sure what you’re asking, but I guess I didn’t find my first year too scary or difficult. I went into science after a gap year, so I hadn’t studied chem or bio for 1-2 years. But the transition into uni was relatively smooth, even given everything was online. The professors and tutors were kind and helpful (if you asked for it) and there was tons of support and resources available.
I don’t really remember doing a research assignment (I think we had a group project – but it wasn’t too strenuous, and you just address the clearly laid out criteria). I’m sure if you have a genuine interest in science, you will find the degree enjoyable and its super flexible, so you can pick new subjects or stay in your comfort zone.
With GPA/WAM, on top of the above advice, identify how you study – whether it be through note taking, diagrams or teaching yourself, don’t hate studying – take an interest in what you’re learning and use your time effectively – I tend to give myself 2 specific goals to complete within an hour.
I guess my final tip would be - go in with a positive mindset, thinking you are going to enjoy learning and will consequently do well and don’t be intimidated by the degree.