Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 09:42:38 am

Author Topic: Should I do these subjects for VCE?  (Read 758 times)

amelia_nap

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Should I do these subjects for VCE?
« on: June 20, 2020, 08:25:46 pm »
Hey everyone, :D
I am in year 10 and we have to choose our VCE subjects for next year. This are what I am thinking of doing:
English
Methods
Chemistry
Psychology 3/4
Italian
PE
Do you guys think these subjects are good? Do they work well together? Do you think my work load will be manageable?
If you guys have any other opinions or thoughts please say!

cooldude123

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +26
Re: Should I do these subjects for VCE?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 09:30:23 pm »
+3
A few rules of thumb that might be useful when you're thinking of what subjects to choose:

Are they areas that you enjoy studying?
Based on your past studies, are you good at those subjects?
What are your future goals in terms of tertiary study - do you need any subjects as prerequisites?

Year 10 can feel like it's early on to know definitively what you'll be good at or enjoy, but it might be worth thinking about which parts of your Year 10 classes you liked (did you enjoy writing up lab reports or did you like doing relatively tricky maths problems or both or neither?)

If you haven't already, I'd also suggest having a skim through the study designs for the subjects on the VCAA website (or any textbooks from your school library if you have access) and seeing if you could see yourself studying that for the next two years.

I find it also helps to get second opinions from teachers/career advisers or friends you trust when making these sorts of decisions too.
VCE Class of 2015

Peppie

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +14
Re: Should I do these subjects for VCE?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 12:00:37 am »
Cooldude123 already said it, but I thought I'd add my few cents
Of course you should base it on subjects that you're either good at or you enjoy- otherwise VCE will be a lot more of a drag than the average person would like.

Though for language subjects (any LOTE) I would ALWAYS recommend to finish unit3/4 in year 11, or some people year 10. The memorising of your oral will be very time consuming and unless you have a super good work ethic- you may struggle in year 12 (like me lol- it's a pain)
Also you'll find that you might be spending a lot of your time practicing essays- I'd say a good few hours a week- hours that you might prefer to use in year 11 instead of 12. But if you're prepared for it then go for it!  ;D