Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 05:40:17 pm

Author Topic: How do I get my motivation back up?  (Read 1907 times)  Share 

lazaward

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +33
How do I get my motivation back up?
« on: April 17, 2017, 08:17:55 pm »
+4
I don't know if it's just the holidays but I have no motivation to do anything. Something I have never struggled on and I just need some advice on how to keep my motivation up and consistent through out VCE. And how to get my head unstuck from this cycle of doing nothing. Especially because I really care about school and want to do really well.

Thank you!

deStudent

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
Re: How do I get my motivation back up?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 08:37:28 pm »
Well, school starts again tomorrow so...

zhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • The world is a bitter place
  • Respect: +338
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 08:40:44 pm »
+8
I don't know if it's just the holidays but I have no motivation to do anything. Something I have never struggled on and I just need some advice on how to keep my motivation up and consistent through out VCE. And how to get my head unstuck from this cycle of doing nothing. Especially because I really care about school and want to do really well.

Thank you!
Stuff that worked for me are
-Making a checklist or to do list
-Making a schedule (for me eventually I stop following the schedule when things get busy, but it worked fine for a couple of weeks for me and may work better for you)
-Going to the library to study, which helps to motivate me to study
-Having a study area at home specifically for study only
-Making sure I have a balance of study and relaxation, so that I don't burn out

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 09:43:59 pm »
+12
First thing first, work out what's causing a lack of motivation.

Are you simply burnt out? Take a few days off, or even a few hours, for some self-care. Balance is important, so make sure you're looking after yourself.

Or, are you overwhelmed with the workload? Again, I'd recommend taking the night off to clear your head and relax, write a list of what you need to do and when you're going to do it. Prioritising is an important skill to have, so it's a useful task and its going to provide you with a plan of attack for the next few days.

As others have mentioned, heading to a library or working at school is also useful if you're finding yourself doing 'nothing' at home. Sometimes just being in an academic environment is a good motivator to get your work done.

Also think about what or who motivates you. Try to surround yourself with this as much as possible.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 11:31:44 pm »
+6
+1 to what Coffee said :)
I found one of the biggest motivators for me last year was setting goals that I could achieve in the short term, mid term, and long term. You just have to try stuff out and see what works for you!

I'd just like to add, speaking to your friends and teachers can be a very helpful thing and I highly recommend it. Your friends are probably feeling similar feelings even if they don't show it! Plus, talking to them might actually help you figure out exactly what's causing your lack of motivation. A bitch session with your friends can be incredibly healthy and help you get a lot of weight off your chest :)
I also mentioned teachers, because if you feel that you need the input of an adult, or you don't feel comfortable speaking to your friends, teachers are an amazing resource. They have doubtless helped so many students in the same situation and can likely offer some serious pearls of wisdom. It can also be handy because if they're one of your subject teachers, then they can maybe give you a bit of space in class, or give you some specific tactics for that particular class.

Also feel that if this isn't just some smaller thing that passes, and instead it lingers and you find yourself really struggling, don't be afraid to reach out to a counsellor, psychologist, GP, etc. :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 05:33:59 pm »
+5
Some good advice in this thread IMO. :)

I don't know if it's just the holidays but I have no motivation to do anything.

Firstly, I don't think you'd be alone!

Something I have never struggled on and I just need some advice on how to keep my motivation up and consistent through out VCE. And how to get my head unstuck from this cycle of doing nothing. Especially because I really care about school and want to do really well.

Thank you!

I think, at a very fundamental level, you're in a good position. Even if it doesn't feel the case, the fact that you want to do well - and the fact that you've even articulated that here - says to me that you're in a much healthier position than a lot of people at the moment. Like, a lot of people would think, "ahh I have no motivation - oh well." You, on the other hand, are trying to remedy it - and that's what will differentiate you from the pack. :)

(For what it's worth, I don't think any single VCE graduate in the history of VCE graduates would have had no moments where they thought similarly lol.)

I don't have much to add to what's been said, and I know that this is like, the most basic advice for all time, but I'd be focusing on taking some time out - as suggested by others previously. Go for a walk, read a book - whatever it is. In my experience, doing this has actually helped me in the long run to get back on track in terms of study. :)

Let us know how you're tracking through Term 2! ;D

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 12:47:38 pm »
+3

Thank you!

Just to add my two cents here.
I posted a similar post on losing concentration about 2 months ago and some of the tips under Part 2 may help you out. Also some of the last few tips on this post of mine about a month ago.
While I agree with all the above posts, I notice one thing they missed: sometimes its pure force or a fun organisational app that can set you on track. Try Habatica for a nice game-like one or Todoist if you like setting personal bests. If you're old fashioned or want a serious alternative, maybe stick to paper to-do lists and a calendar by your study space to stay on the ball.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 02:51:23 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

selinayinz

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 05:30:54 pm »
Take a refreshing trip to officeworks! Seriously, I find getting new books, pens and highlighters very satisfying lol. Label all your books! Seeing all those subjects might make you think "well, some light revision can propel me into the new topics well." It feels like a fresh start!