Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 08:47:56 am

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1237192 times)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2016, 04:06:15 pm »
Hi,
I am in Adv English and i had a question about the AOS essay. If the question for the discovery essay says to refer to "At least 1" related text, do the markers expect 2 or is 1 enough?
Thank You.

Hey there! One related text is definitely enough. Don't stress about that. If they ask for at least one, one suits fine! In fact, by choosing to do one and not two in this given situation, you give yourself scope for deeper textual analysis than if you fit two into the same space and time :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

lazydreamer

• Trailblazer
  • Newbie needing help :P
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Tech H.S
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2016, 05:00:57 pm »
Hi there!
So for my Mod B focus on Speeches, I'm still confused about the 'ideas' we are meant to be writing on, basically what is the main focus of the essay eg. is it the ideas presented by the speaker, or the way these ideas are conveyed, the development of these ideas by the speaker etc.

someone asked this in my class but I still don't get it :(

aqsarana_

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Australian Islamic College of Sydney
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2016, 09:24:57 pm »
Hi, I am in adv english and for AOS i am doing Go Back To Where You Came From. i wanted to ask if we're meant to mention all the characters throughout the essay and their process of discovery or can we just stick to a few characters? Also, do we need to refer to quotes from all the 3 episodes and the response episode or no?
Thank you :)

qwerty222

• Adventurer
  • School: Girraween High Scool
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2016, 09:48:35 pm »
hello, I was wondering if you could suggest some related texts for belonging (my prescribed text is Othello). Also is it bad to use films as related texts? I just can't seem to read classic novels, it just goes straight out of my head. What would you recommend?

Happy Physics Land

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • Forum Obsessive
  • MAXIMISE your marks by MINIMISING your errors
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2016, 10:21:48 am »
hello, I was wondering if you could suggest some related texts for belonging (my prescribed text is Othello). Also is it bad to use films as related texts? I just can't seem to read classic novels, it just goes straight out of my head. What would you recommend?

Hey Qwerty, I actually did othello back when I was in year 11, if your teacher would allow a film as related text, then l would definitely recommend a film called "O" which is a contemporary appropriation of othello. Very easy for the different representation of same values across contrasting contexts. Another film l would definitely recommend especially for belonging is the Blind Side. A great belonging text with a lot of connections to Othello.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 10:24:40 am by Happy Physics Land »
Mathematics: 96
Maths Extension 2: 93
Maths Extension 1: 97
English Advanced: 92
Physics: 95
Chemistry: 92
Engineering Studies: 90
Studies of Religion I: 98

2017 ATAR: 99.70
University of Sydney Civil Engineering and Commerce
University of Sydney Faculty of Civil Engineering Scholar
Student Representatives Council Student Housing Officer
City of Sydney Council Sydney Ambassador
University of Sydney Business School Student Mentor
Entrepreneur, Company of Year Junior Achievements Australia

lazydreamer

• Trailblazer
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2016, 12:58:00 pm »
Hey there! One related text is definitely enough. Don't stress about that. If they ask for at least one, one suits fine! In fact, by choosing to do one and not two in this given situation, you give yourself scope for deeper textual analysis than if you fit two into the same space and time :)

There was some anxiety in my class about that as well, since apparently in the hsc they CAN ask for 2 related texts, so my teacher said to do another 300w paragraph on your 2nd RT just in case they do specify, eg 'Refer to 2 other texts ... in your answer etc'

but yea other than that, 'At least 1' means just that, and anyway an in-depth 1 RT is better.

Happy Physics Land

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2016, 01:06:40 pm »
There was some anxiety in my class about that as well, since apparently in the hsc they CAN ask for 2 related texts, so my teacher said to do another 300w paragraph on your 2nd RT just in case they do specify, eg 'Refer to 2 other texts ... in your answer etc'

but yea other than that, 'At least 1' means just that, and anyway an in-depth 1 RT is better.

For discovery, assuming that all the year 12 in sydney tech are taking Frank Hurley as their prescribed text, one related text is definitely enough if they ask for at least one. Frank Hurley is very rich in content and if you include two related texts there will be too little space to focus on the prescribed text itself. For module A, assuming all of you guys are doing 1984 and metropolis, definite use 1 prescribed text as well because you want to concentrate on comparing two texts in depth, not just generally comparing three texts. If you compare three texts in detail you would soon find that your prepared essay would be too long for the time limit of your exam.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2016, 01:57:30 pm »

I've explained in a guide here that since 2004, they have only ever ONCE asked for more than one ORT specifically. So I gave some advice in the guide on how you can prepare for that, even though it is unlikely :)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 01:59:20 pm by elysepopplewell »

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2016, 02:02:30 pm »
For module A, assuming all of you guys are doing 1984 and metropolis, definite use 1 prescribed text as well because you want to concentrate on comparing two texts in depth, not just generally comparing three texts.

Hey HPL, 100% agree with your discovery advice. If they ask for "at least one" ORT, I always will go just 1.
What do you mean by "use 1 prescribed text as well?"

lazydreamer

• Trailblazer
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2016, 02:05:22 pm »
I've explained in a guide here that since 2004, they have only ever ONCE asked for more than one ORT specifically. So I gave some advice in the guide on how you can prepare for that, even though it is unlikely :)

oh i didn't know there was a guide, thank you!

For discovery, assuming that all the year 12 in sydney tech are taking Frank Hurley as their prescribed text, one related text is definitely enough if they ask for at least one. Frank Hurley is very rich in content and if you include two related texts there will be too little space to focus on the prescribed text itself. For module A, assuming all of you guys are doing 1984 and metropolis, definite use 1 prescribed text as well because you want to concentrate on comparing two texts in depth, not just generally comparing three texts. If you compare three texts in detail you would soon find that your prepared essay would be too long for the time limit of your exam.

actually, our class is doing The Tempest for AOS so i think there's room for a 2nd RT there :)
for Mod A i assume we are only expected to do both prescribed texts (1984 + Metropolis), but idk we're only up to Mod B

thank you both for the clarification :D
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 02:30:34 pm by lazydreamer »

Happy Physics Land

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2016, 02:25:20 pm »
Hey HPL, 100% agree with your discovery advice. If they ask for "at least one" ORT, I always will go just 1.
What do you mean by "use 1 prescribed text as well?"

Oops I meant "use 1 RELATED text as well" !!! My late night practise yesterday must have resulted in my confusion of speech

lowrifunnell

• Adventurer
  • School: Brigidine College Randwick
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2016, 03:19:11 pm »
Hi!! i was just wondering about the 5-6 mark question in paper 1, section 1. i know it's supposed to be like a mini essay, but how many quotes + techniques should we be putting in there approximately?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2016, 04:51:55 pm »
oh i didn't know there was a guide, thank you!

actually, our class is doing The Tempest for AOS so i think there's room for a 2nd RT there :)
for Mod A i assume we are only expected to do both prescribed texts (1984 + Metropolis), but idk we're only up to Mod B

thank you both for the clarification :D

Easy! Thanks for asking! I suggest that you prepare to use one super, super strong ORT and be ready to go to town with it. However, I also suggest that you have a backup ORT to use either in the situation of them asking for two ORTs, or you find that your prepared ORT doesn't respond well to the question and you'll need the support of another ORT.

As I said, since 2004, only ONCE have they asked for two. I'm guessing that they haven't done it again either because students performed poorly or because they found it to be unnecessary. Key words: "I'm guessing." :)

Oops I meant "use 1 RELATED text as well" !!! My late night practise yesterday must have resulted in my confusion of speech

For Module A, ORTs are not common. Let's have a look at one of the 2015 Mod A questions:
Does the treatment of social manipulation in Nineteen Eighty-Four and Metropolis reveal the texts’ similarities or reinforce their distinctive qualities?
In your response, make detailed reference to your prescribed texts.

The question specifically requests that you make a comparative study of the two texts explicitly. I can see that mentioning another text for the purpose of strengthening an argument could be worthwhile. However, I can't see how actually entering a full textual analysis could be of benefit to this module.

Have you been told differently?

Belkelly

• Adventurer
  • "Nothing worth having comes easy"
  • Respect: +5
  • School: Tumut High School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2016, 10:31:46 am »
Hi, I'm doing a related text assignment (related to belonging) and I'd love some suggestions for a related text. I'm allowed to choose short stories or short films, or even art. :)
I'd really appreciate any help at all!

Belkelly

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2016, 12:42:55 pm »
Hi, I'm doing a related text assignment (related to belonging) and I'd love some suggestions for a related text. I'm allowed to choose short stories or short films, or even art. :)
I'd really appreciate any help at all!

Belkelly

Hey Belkelly - I'd just like to confirm that you definitely intended to type belonging and not discovery? :)