Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:32:03 am

Author Topic: Is it possible to do VCE without giving up what I love?  (Read 953 times)  Share 

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
Is it possible to do VCE without giving up what I love?
« on: October 19, 2019, 10:45:03 pm »
I want to play hockey and also do running but I also want the 99 ATAR :( I know I’ll have to give up one or even both so I’m just here to rant cause I’m so sad. However this is an alternative how about I play “casual hockey”? as in like I play a game whenever I want during the season but it’ll cost $30 per game bc I haven’t payed full price. That way if there’s SACs or too much work I can just not go. Also with running races are totally optional so it’s a bit more flexible. :)
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Is it possible to do VCE without giving up what I love?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 10:52:23 pm »
+5
I had:
- Being vice school captain and all the associated stuff
- Being chairman of the local venturer scout unit (only in the first part of the year)
- Being youth mayor of local youth representative council
- Being in the senior school band & practicing for music exams
- Home duties: e.g. Cooking for myself every day

and I still managed a 98+ ATAR (which is what I was aiming for) despite having a strong SEAS application. Point is, you can have other stuff going on and still get a very high ATAR.

I honestly think giving up both would do more harm to your ATAR than good so PLEASE don't do that. I would try keeping both at the start of the year and see how you go :)

Edit: fixed typo
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 11:00:02 pm by Bri MT »

illuminae

• Adventurer
  • youth's a stuff will not endure.
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 10:57:46 pm »
I had:
- Being vic school captain and all the associated stuff
- Being chairman of the local venturer scout unit (only in the first part of the year)
- Being youth mayor of local youth representative council
- Being in the senior school band & practicing for music exams
- Home duties: e.g. Cooking for myself every day

and I still managed a 98+ ATAR (which is what I was aiming for) despite having a strong SEAS application. Point is, you can have other stuff going on and still get a very high ATAR.

I honestly think giving up both would do more harm to your ATAR than good so PLEASE don't do that. I would try keeping both at the start of the year and see how you go :)

woah that's amazing . . .does this mean that it was a bad idea for me to have given up every hobby and interest i've had for the sake of vce ...yoinks
legal s.
english | bio | chem | gen math | psych | legal s. 3/4
oh man that's a bit too much
english | lit | bio | psych | further

❝Acta est Fabula, Plaudite!❞

٩(◕‿◕。)۶

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 11:03:52 pm »
+1
woah that's amazing . . .does this mean that it was a bad idea for me to have given up every hobby and interest i've had for the sake of vce ...yoinks

I wouldn't encourage anyone to give up all their hobbies and interests for the sake of VCE but there can definitely be parental/societal pressure to do that so I get why it happens.

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 11:09:43 pm »
I wouldn't encourage anyone to give up all their hobbies and interests for the sake of VCE but there can definitely be parental/societal pressure to do that so I get why it happens.
Yeah the parental pressure is real
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 11:15:23 pm »
+2
Yeah the parental pressure is real

My advice would be to approach this from how your activities are going to benefit your VCE. For example, exercise and doing team sport are likely going to help you manage the stress of VCE in a healthy way. Having heaps of stress you're struggling to manage makes it more difficult to learn and remember things & it's unlikely you'd be able to maintain focus on studying for the whole available time anyway. Having things that aren't VCE also reduces your chance of burnout & can help with motivation.

Good luck

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 11:08:49 am »
+4
I continued playing soccer throughout VCE (training twice a week, games once a week) and I'm super glad I did.
- it gave me something to focus on outside of school - so school didn't just take up my whole life
- exercise is really good for you! both physically and mentally
- I found that I always felt more focused after training so I'd usually get a lot of study done because it made me more productive
- I created and maintained friendships outside of school - it's important to have a wide social circle if you can. knowing people outside of school and people who perhaps weren't the most academic or hadn't gone to uni or whatever was great, because it let me see that vce isn't the be all and end all

IMO I think I would have done worse in terms of results if I didn't continue to do things like play sport and work part-time outside of VCE.