Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 06:26:14 am

Author Topic: Victorian Election  (Read 11052 times)  Share 

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
Re: Victorian Election
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2018, 01:46:43 pm »
As much as I don't side with labor. Dan Andrews does get things done and listens to the people. I'll give him that.

Why the right you ask? There values and beliefs embody my moral compass.

Why does that make Matthew Guy a dill though?

What particular values?
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

ellellen

• Forum Regular
  • bleep bloop
  • Respect: +76
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2018, 05:37:38 pm »
+3
Obviously implicit in all of that is a fairly firm distaste of the Greens on my part. I really dislike that their policy output is really ill thought out and that they often will put ideological purity ahead of practical outcomes. Take two examples of this: the Greens held the balance of power in the senate during the first Rudd government and used their balance of power to vote against the emissions trading scheme, because they wanted something that was more stringent. At that point we were poised to be the major economy in the world with the most ambitious climate change policy, one that would almost certainly still be in place (unlike the carbon tax it had widespread support in the community), and would have served as a template for other countries to follow, but the Greens killed it because their political existence relies on them outdoing labor on climate change and they didn’t want the issue to go away by legislating, which frankly is morally vacuous.
Other example is refugee policy. Effectively the Greens policy is to take anyone who arrives by boat and massively increase the quota. No real practical concerns with the latter, but the former provides some issues. The reality of accepting boat arrivals is that it encourages more people to get on boats in the first place. As distasteful as the debate has become, the available evidence makes that conclusion unavoidable. The problem in this is, therefore, that more people get on boats to come to Australia and, consequently, more people die trying to come here. Sadly it’s not just fear-mongering on behalf of the liberals, literally 1000s of people died last time we had an influx of boats.
I’m not seriously suggesting that the current policy is acceptable—it’s not. It borders on a crime against humanity what we’re doing at the moment. But the Greens policy of accepting everyone is one that, whilst warm and fuzzy, is also one that would lead to the deaths of 1000s of vulnerable people. Again, the Greens would be aware of the evidence, but they choose to ignore it in advancing a policy position that is most palatable to their members and yet would so clearly lead to the deaths of refugees. In truth I think that’s just as bad if not worse than what’s currrently happening.

I think, though, that it doesn't matter if the Greens' policies can achieve practical outcomes - the Greens aren't in a position where they would ever have to follow through on them. I think a lot of their policies exist purely so that people who preference Greens can say to Labor "hey, we're letting you know that there's a demand for policies that are more left wing than what you're currently doing." I'm not saying it's a good thing that the Greens (and other minor parties) can put forward unrealistic ideas, just that the Greens aren't as restricted in what they propose as the major parties are, because they will never really be in a position where they can totally implement their plan, or be forced to admit their plan isn't 100% feasible.

I don't align myself with any particular political party, because while I think both Labor and the Greens have some good stuff, they also have some stuff i'm not a massive fan of. At the last Federal election I preferenced Greens first, just because kind of why not? I'm in a very safe Liberal electorate which Labor knew they wouldn't win and they didn't really put much effort into campaigning here. At the state election i'm going to put Labor first. Our current local Labor member is great! A really nice guy, and he's done a lot of good and useful stuff in the area. While I'm not 100% pro- Labor, that's mostly to do with Federal issues!!!! At the state level, Daniel Andrews does so much, and so does my local member. No matter how much I agree with the Greens, it wouldn't make sense to me to preference whoever is running for Greens in my area, somebody who I've never heard of before and know nothing about, over the current member who is fab. Also, even taking in consideration voting Greens first to sway Labor more to the left, since the amount of election funding each party gets depends on first preference votes, I would rather give that first preference to Labor tbh!

Anyway, that's some of my thoughts on the State election!!!
VCE 2015: Biology | History Revs | English | Legal Studies | Media | Methods
ATAR: 96.55

Currently: Arts/Law at Monash University - History Major, Journalism Minor

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2018, 01:41:15 am »
+1
I currently live in a safe Liberal seat at state level (will probably move soon after my exams since I don't like it much, only recently moved there recently). I used to live in one of the most marginal seat, currently held by Greens in by a tiny margin but Liberals and Labor have strong support in the area. Political campaigning in my area is almost non-existing so I do not know who the Greens and Labor candidates are apart from their names. Just 3 years ago though the current MP voted against banning anti-abortion protesters from protesting outside fertility clinics. MOD EDIT: removed racist comment. I not sure whether I'm going to vote for the Greens or Labor this election though, as  it depends on Labor chances of winning the seat. Even if I like Greens, if it affects Labor chances of being in government, I wouldn't vote for them (assumption that a Labor government is better than a Lib at a certain point in time). If I were to vote in where I used to live, I would definitely vote for Labor as they have a strong chance of winning the seat and the candidate is better than the Greens one in my opinion.

On a federal level, where I currently live has traditionally been a relatively safe Labor seat but has become marginal in recent elections. In the last one, the sitting Labor MP of over 20 years only got like a primary vote percentage in the low 20s, slightly below the Greens, and only marginally got through on preferences. He has just said he was not re-contesting as the writing is on the wall and a 30 year only guy who used t be staffer was pre-selected. Hopefully he is different to the previous person, as the he was abysmal; undynamic, used taxpayers funds for anti-ABC ads, religion was always at the forefront of his positions and chose to preference a Liberal ahead of the Greens against part orders. Greens has earmarked my electorate to be one of their key areas and have placed a strong candidate (who did well at the last election especially for the first time that Greens had some sort of significant presence in the area) as have Liberal (a seemingly progressive 38 year old female lawyer). In such an instance, whether I vote for the Greens or Labor depends on how popular Shorten it and whether the can win whilst losing Macarthur. If so, and Di Natale doesn't slip up, I'll probably vote for the Greens candidate. As many people have said, Labor is great on state but leaves a bit to be desired on nationals.

Class identity-wise, I've always been Labor while my positions are a mixed of Labor and Greens.

Just curious, are local candidate important in who you choose to vote for?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 06:59:17 am by vox nihili »
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2018, 10:17:08 pm »
+15
Today it was revealed that the man at the centre of the Bourke St attacks last week was on bail and had skipped court appearances on multiple occasions. The charges for which he had received bail were related to minor driving offences, as I understand it driving without a licence.

The Liberals used the fact that he had been bailed to tout their own policy that if someone misses their bail appointment that they be chucked straight into gaol. We saw a pretty melodramatic display from the shadow attorney-general who said that under the Liberal's laws this attack would never happen. He also asked how much we needed to suffer before we changed the system.

imo this is politics at its absolute worst. Whether or not you agree with harsher bail conditions is neither here nor there. Implying that the government was responsible for the deaths of those people is reprehensible, especially when the link you're making is that if this bloke were chucked in the slammer for traffic offences he wouldn't have been able to attack anyone. I would argue that someone who skips bail on a background of traffic offences poses no risk to the community and that the idea they should be gaoled is absurd. Traffic offences are hardly a red flag for terrorist activity; pretending otherwise is gutter politics.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2018, 11:46:27 am »
+1
Only sort of relevant - I really hate the way labor advertises. I assume it’s targeted advertising so you guys probably haven’t seen it, but I’ve been getting ads from two different groups - I can’t remember what they’re called exactly. One is something along the lines of ‘the truth about the greens’ and the other is something like ‘staying on track’ (I think that’s wrong but it’s somewhat similar.

The truth about the greens one is just an attack on the greens history re: responding to complaints about sexual assault etc.

The other one is a bit more of a typical labor ad - ‘only a labor government’ etc.

Anyway, they’re both labor ads, but they don’t say that until the very end when it says ‘authorised by the labor party’ in tiny writing for about half a second. and I reckon that’s complete bullshit. They’re clearly trying to pretend that these ads are ‘independent’ and not claiming them as labor ads - compared to the greens ads I see that are mostly coming from Samantha ratnam’s page - very clearly ads for the greens.

As well as that, I’ve seen ads from Kotex (a pads/tampons brand) about the potential introduction of free sanitary supplies in public schools - as much as they also serve as an ad for the brand, I find it really hard to believe that there isn’t some shady deal going on there.

@Vox, I knew that was bait and I still replied to it lol.

I agree with you that some of the things they’ve done are bs - as well as the ETS they opposed the desal plant, it gets electricity from fossil fuels which was a crap decision but other than that I reckon it’s going to be needed.

Definitely think that the greens are big on advertising federal issues - but having said that, in the lead up to this election, the only stuff I’ve seen (either advertised or directly from Victorian greens FB pages) has been about state issues. I suppose I also don’t really mind that - it’s not like they can be talking about things they’re currently doing given they don’t have any significant power.

I think the greens do a very good job of making things personal - I’ve seen FB ads for the labor candidate in my area but that’s it (for local candidate ads, I’ve gotten labor party ads as well). Compared to the greens that have placards everywhere and are doorknocking etc. I remember at the last federal election I saw literally two placards for the labor candidate - sure I wasn’t voting, but I was paying attention to politics then - and I barely knew the guys name. So yeah, I think that the greens get a lot of attention from young people because they’re good at connecting with people and making them feel like it’s actually a personal issue/that they’re vote actually matters.

Re: legalising euthanasia & medical marijuana, the safe injecting room - they’ve been greens policies since before labor implemented them.

Re: the other things you mentioned - I don’t think it’s really fair to compare a government that actually has the power to do that to a party that doesn’t have any significant power.

I definitely agree that labor has done some great things - but there’s so much more they haven’t done, and so much they could have done earlier. E.g. a cash for containers scheme and a ban on single use bags are still non-existent in Victoria.

Sorry if there’s tons of typos in this - silly me wrote it on my phone.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2018, 12:05:41 pm »
+2
Only sort of relevant - I really hate the way labor advertises. I assume it’s targeted advertising so you guys probably haven’t seen it, but I’ve been getting ads from two different groups - I can’t remember what they’re called exactly. One is something along the lines of ‘the truth about the greens’ and the other is something like ‘staying on track’ (I think that’s wrong but it’s somewhat similar.

The truth about the greens one is just an attack on the greens history re: responding to complaints about sexual assault etc.

The other one is a bit more of a typical labor ad - ‘only a labor government’ etc.

Anyway, they’re both labor ads, but they don’t say that until the very end when it says ‘authorised by the labor party’ in tiny writing for about half a second. and I reckon that’s complete bullshit. They’re clearly trying to pretend that these ads are ‘independent’ and not claiming them as labor ads - compared to the greens ads I see that are mostly coming from Samantha ratnam’s page - very clearly ads for the greens.

As well as that, I’ve seen ads from Kotex (a pads/tampons brand) about the potential introduction of free sanitary supplies in public schools - as much as they also serve as an ad for the brand, I find it really hard to believe that there isn’t some shady deal going on there.

@Vox, I knew that was bait and I still replied to it lol.

I agree with you that some of the things they’ve done are bs - as well as the ETS they opposed the desal plant, it gets electricity from fossil fuels which was a crap decision but other than that I reckon it’s going to be needed.

Definitely think that the greens are big on advertising federal issues - but having said that, in the lead up to this election, the only stuff I’ve seen (either advertised or directly from Victorian greens FB pages) has been about state issues. I suppose I also don’t really mind that - it’s not like they can be talking about things they’re currently doing given they don’t have any significant power.

I think the greens do a very good job of making things personal - I’ve seen FB ads for the labor candidate in my area but that’s it (for local candidate ads, I’ve gotten labor party ads as well). Compared to the greens that have placards everywhere and are doorknocking etc. I remember at the last federal election I saw literally two placards for the labor candidate - sure I wasn’t voting, but I was paying attention to politics then - and I barely knew the guys name. So yeah, I think that the greens get a lot of attention from young people because they’re good at connecting with people and making them feel like it’s actually a personal issue/that they’re vote actually matters.

Re: legalising euthanasia & medical marijuana, the safe injecting room - they’ve been greens policies since before labor implemented them.

Re: the other things you mentioned - I don’t think it’s really fair to compare a government that actually has the power to do that to a party that doesn’t have any significant power.

I definitely agree that labor has done some great things - but there’s so much more they haven’t done, and so much they could have done earlier. E.g. a cash for containers scheme and a ban on single use bags are still non-existent in Victoria.

Sorry if there’s tons of typos in this - silly me wrote it on my phone.

yessss take the bait!!!

On ads: I don't particularly like the personal attack ads either. They're tacky and they don't help advance the debate and contribute to a general sense of distrust in the political system. If you're attacking your opponents out of hand, you're attacking the system.
We've got them down here against Darryn Lyons, running the (admittedly) brilliant line "fake abs, fake independent, real liberal".

On the Greens: imo it's a cop out to say that they shouldn't have to think through policy because they're not going to be in power. The reality is that if they're elected to parliament, potentially with the balance of power, their policies will become a critical component of the next government. We saw that be the case when the Greens agreed to support the Labor government federally and we also saw that when the Greens formed government with Labor in Tasmania (highlighting this point, the Greens have actually been in government not just supported it...it was a coalition!).

The reality is there have been times where the Greens have made a tangible difference to policy, particularly federally. In most cases, those decisions have been foolish. As above, the ETS didn't pass the senate because the Greens used their numbers (which constituted the balance of power in the senate at the time) and voted against it. They then moved us to a straight tax under the next coalition government, which was both politically flawed (much easier to attack a tax) and, critically, projected to reduce emissions by even less than the ETS. So for all their grandstanding on climate change, they are just as culpable as the liberals in ruining climate policy in Australia because they failed to understand the politics.

Likewise, another example is when the Greens supported the campaign to allow conscientious objection to vaccines. Bob Brown, a GP no less, gave the Greens use of his office in parliament house for two weeks to an anti-vaccination lobby group, who successfully convinced the then Howard government to allow for conscientious objection. To put no finer point on it, this is morally, ethically and intellectually vacuous behaviour that cost people their lives, as conscientious objection and the campaign around it empowered parents not to vaccinate their children. In fairness to the Greens, their leadership now supports vaccination, but there are still anti-vaxx elements within the party, especially in the hard Left faction.

The short and sweet of it is that the Greens do have power when they're voted in and the way they have exercised that power has generally been to the detriment of Australia. I completely agree that their contribution to the debate has shifted policy to the Left, particularly in Victoria, and I think that that has been beneficial. I suspect the Labor government would have eventually brought about a safe injecting room, legalised medical marijuana and euthanasia on its own, but I do also suspect that the Greens probably helped to create a political environment that allowed it. On these issues the Greens have been good, but when actually charged with responsibility to make a decision in the national interest, they simply can't do it. They're too willing to play politics and would rather virtue signal than actually see good policy passed, and for that reason I couldn't ever in good conscience vote for them.

Also, any progressive who doubts that a Labor government can deliver progressive reforms should read up on the Whitlam government.

GuZz

• Trendsetter
  • Socially and Ethically responsible.
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2018, 12:07:40 pm »
I believe I am situated in one of the top 5 safest Labor seats in the state.
I always find it peculiar that people are willing to always vote so heavily in one parties favour, as it ultimately means that nothing gets done by politicians in the electorate, unlike swing seats where politicians bend over backwards to persuade voters to vote for them.
“If you define yourself by your power to take life, your desire to dominate, to possess, then you have nothing.” – Obi-Wan Kenobi

VCE
2017: Business Management [39]
2018: Biology [29], English [39], Further Maths [36], Legal Studies [35], Religion & Society [33]
ATAR = 84.10
2019 - UoM Bachelor of Arts

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2018, 01:00:05 am »
I am still unsure who I am voting for this election. I wish there was a good independent candidate in my area and I could get on that bandwagon - otherwise im going for the animal justice party. It is a super safe labor seat though, literally everyone I have ever met could vote for the liberals and it would still be a very safe labor seat. Should be interesting to watch unfold anyway.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2018, 11:15:17 pm »
+1
Went and early voted today. Took me 5 mins, in and out. Beats waiting in a line on Election Day. Past few elections where i've gone to vote, has been a long queue and have had to wait a long time.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2018, 11:08:58 am »
+5
Went and early voted today. Took me 5 mins, in and out. Beats waiting in a line on Election Day. Past few elections where i've gone to vote, has been a long queue and have had to wait a long time.

But did you get a democracy sausage?

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2018, 02:40:58 pm »
+2
Managed to evade the pack of people handing out how to vote cards at the early voting centre. The trick to avoid them is to walk quickly and make sure there's also a slow walker going into the voting centre to divert the attention away from you ;)

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2018, 02:52:03 pm »
But did you get a democracy sausage?

Voted this morning and unfortunately not. The MP was at the voting booth and there was was this lady in the line (not a volunteer) who was continually bashing the left, verging a bit on harassment.

VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

technodisney

• MOTM: AUG 2018
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Master Procrastinator
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2018, 07:52:23 pm »
I have a question, so I am going to be away during the election so I need to go to an early voting center.

The only early voting centre in my electorate is over 30 minutes away. There is a closer early voting center in another electorate. Can I still vote at that location?
My Informatics 3/4 SAT Guide

Methods, BusMan, EngLang, Informatics, VET IT
technodisney's VCE Journal
Cert IV Live Production and Technical Services RMIT (City Campus)
technodisney's journey into Live Theatre
The Disney Nerd needs to get fit

The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique. ~ Walt Disney

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2018, 09:26:48 pm »
+1
Yeah, you can vote anywhere in the state :) You'll just have to enter a different queue if you're voting in a different electorate but it's no dramas. I went and voted early today and there was a number of people voting for a different electorate. When you get to the centre the staff are really helpful with which line you need to be in and stuff

technodisney

• MOTM: AUG 2018
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Master Procrastinator
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2018, 09:31:22 pm »
+2
Yeah, you can vote anywhere in the state :) You'll just have to enter a different queue if you're voting in a different electorate but it's no dramas. I went and voted early today and there was a number of people voting for a different electorate. When you get to the centre the staff are really helpful with which line you need to be in and stuff

Ok thank you.

That sounds nice and easy. It's a little scary as this is my first time voting, I dunno what to expect.

I am still kinda unsure who I am voting for. But I am reading up on my local candidates and vote for whomever feels right.
My Informatics 3/4 SAT Guide

Methods, BusMan, EngLang, Informatics, VET IT
technodisney's VCE Journal
Cert IV Live Production and Technical Services RMIT (City Campus)
technodisney's journey into Live Theatre
The Disney Nerd needs to get fit

The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique. ~ Walt Disney