Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 07:46:04 pm

Author Topic: Selective School Interview Process and Tips  (Read 3362 times)  Share 

SazWaz

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Selective School Interview Process and Tips
« on: October 27, 2018, 02:31:17 pm »
+2
Hey Guys,
I've decided to start this topic for all students who have received an interview at a selective school, whether it be Principal's Discretion or for JMSS entry. I hope this will be helpful for those students who are stressing about their interview and want to know about some sample questions or the interview process. Btw, I’m a year 9 who tried for year 10 entrance to MacRob and John Monash.

Quick overview of the selective tests:
The standard tests for MacRob, Melbourne High, Nossal and Suzanne Cory consist of:
- Verbal Reasoning
- Numerical Reasoning
- Reading Comprehension
- Mathematics
- Persuasive Writing
- Creative Writing

The standard test for John Monash consists of:
- Scientific Reasoning
- Numerical Reasoning
- Mathematics
- Scientific Analysis and Reporting
- Science Interest and Communication

If you have received Principal's Discretion or are applying for year 10 entry to MacRob, you have to fill out a 200 word entry on why you want to attend MacRob (I'm not too sure about MHS, Nossal or Suzanne Cory, I didn't try for them)
For year 10 entry to MacRob, you will also have to submit a profile highlighting all of your academic and co-curricular achievements (once again, not too sure about MHS, Nossal or Suzanne Cory)
For John Monash, you simply have to pass the tests to receive an interview.

MacRobertson Interview Process
The interview is held at the school and lasts for 15 minutes. It is a supposedly an informal interview with the principal and director of transitions. I was asked about 11 or 12 questions and it is a very smooth process.

John Monash Interview Process
Same case as MacRob, the interview is held at the school and lasts for 45 to 90 mins, depending on how many delays there are. You have a group interview first which tests how you would together in a group and gives you a chance to show off your leadership skills. This is then followed by a personal interview in which, for me, consisted of 5 or 6 questions.

Tips:
1. DO NOT STRESS OVER IT!! I cannot say this enough times, it is not something worth stressing and losing sleep over. If you feel really unprepared, try booking a mock interview with Hendersons as they have experience with interview preparation and can give you a general structure of what to expect and a booklet of questions from previous year questions.

2. MAKE SURE YOU APPEAR CONFIDENT!! The last thing you want is for the interviewers to notice your nerves and tell you calm down. This immediately sets the impression that you get nervous easily and could lose you the spot, even if you’ve performed exceptional on the written test. Sit on the chair comfortably, don’t slouch and maintain eye contact.

3. DRESS APPROPRIATELY!! If you have a school uniform, wear it. Even if it is an informal interview, you want to appear like you proudly representing your school, leading them to believe you would proudly represent their uniform if you are a potential candidate. If you don’t have a uniform, don’t go buying a suit or something, wear something that is in-between casual and formal.

4. KEEP FIDGETING TO A MINIUM!! If you are someone who tends to move around a lot or is constantly playing with their hair, try to keep it to a minimum. This is very distracting to the interviewer and may cause them to focus more on what you are doing with your hair rather than what you are answering. A good tip would be to channel the energy to playing with your fingers under the table so they don’t notice it.   

5. HAVE A GENERAL IDEA ABOUT CURRENT WORLD ISSUES!! The questions can range from global politics to the most recent shoplift in the city so make sure you have some knowledge about what is happening with the world. If you don’t know anything about the topic they ask, a sample response would be “I am not in a position to offer my opinion about [insert topic] however, I would love to look into it and gain a deeper understanding” 

6. BE GENUINE, DON’T TRY TO SUCK UP TO THEM!! Interviewers can tell when someone is being genuine and honest with their answers and when people are sucking up to them, so say what you want to say, not what you think the interviewers will want to hear.

7. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE QUESTIONS TO ASK THEM!! By asking about certain aspects of the school, you are showing an interest of wanting to attend. Try not to ask questions that can be answered on their school website, this just shows that you are lazy and didn’t bother reading the website for the answer.   

8. TRY TO SELL YOURSELF TO THE INTERVIEWERS!! The school wants well-rounded students who are willing to have a go at everything. For example, if you only do sport, show an interest in doing something less arduous or on the opposite end of the spectrum, like music and vice versa. If you are passionate about something, bring it up and discuss it with the interviewers that you want to start a club about it.   

9. DON’T BE NEGATIVE ABOUT YOUR CURRENT SCHOOL!! Never say anything about your current school. Be positive and tell them what is good about your school and what you will miss if you do leave. Be careful not to sound like you really don’t want to leave. Finish your answer with “I will miss……..however, I believe I can find new friends or fit in to the [insert school] community”

10. TAKE A SECOND TO THINK TO CONSTRUCT AN ANSWER!! Think before you speak. Listen to the question and take time to construct your answer to ensure you’re to the point. Try to avoid saying um, ah, well, like, yep, yeah, nah.

These are all of the tips I can think of that will greatly assist you in an interview. If you are unsure about something, please feel free to PM me, I’ll get back to you as soon as I can. I am also willing to share my experience if it will assist anyone. Good luck to those for their interview!