Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:50:47 am

Author Topic: How closely do GAT scores correlate with study scores? (Specifically English).  (Read 5473 times)

Janiadia

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
My gat result for English was quite good (for me), and I'd like some clues as to how likely my English study score is to mimic it. Is there usually a close correlation?

(I'm doing English next year, and just got my gat result for this year).

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
Simply put, no. My GAT score in 2012 was 40, this year it was 35. I got a 46 in English. :|
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
The GAT is a piece of shit. No.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

shadows

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +22
  • School Grad Year: 2014
I did quite bad on the GAT for Written communication. (I think I was just in a bad state of mind and didn't really put effort into it)

However, with VCE English I have been averaging As.... A+s towards the end of the year so I think the GAT is not the best indicator.

Whilst GAT scores are correlated loosely with natural ability, VCE scores (yes, including English) are determined by hard work.

appianway

I had 50 on the humanities GAT and a 49 on the writing section, and only 45 and 44 in english language and english...

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory
  • Respect: +101
The GAT is a piece of shit. No.
Are you sure? That's a big relief if so. I worked my ass off for English this year and ended up doing really well. (Straight As after getting Cs and Ds in year 10 lol)

Completely broke down today after finding out my GAT score for the written part. I had even done three practise GATS prior to the actual exam and still did shocking. Should I be that concerned?

Thanks
2013-2014:| VCE
2015-2018:| Bachelor of Science (Neuroscience) @ UoM
2019-X:| Doctor of Dental Surgery (discontinued)
2019 -2021:| Master of Physiotherapy

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

Aurelian

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +79
  • School: Melbourne Grammar School
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Completely broke down today after finding out my GAT score for the written part. I had even done three practise GATS prior to the actual exam and still did shocking. Should I be that concerned?

Thanks

Don't worry about it at all =)
VCE 2010-2011:
English | Philosophy | Latin | Chemistry | Physics | Methods | UMEP Philosophy
ATAR: 99.95

2012-2014: BSc (Chemistry/Philosophy) @ UniMelb

Currently taking students for summer chemistry and physics tutoring! PM for details.

Janiadia

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Thankyou all for the insight, even though it wasn't the answer I wanted. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
Are you sure? That's a big relief if so. I worked my ass off for English this year and ended up doing really well. (Straight As after getting Cs and Ds in year 10 lol)

Thanks
Well, my friend scored 10 points higher in her English score than her GAT score. In fact, there's a thing called "report 10" which shows a bunch of vertical boxplots and predictions etc. My school scores much higher on average in English than VCAA predicted (and we had very low GAT scores) don't let it take from your motivation
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️