Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:31:59 pm

Author Topic: How Do I Request My School To Offer A Subject That is not popular?  (Read 5365 times)

mshah

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: How Do I Request My School To Offer A Subject That is not popular?
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2019, 09:26:46 pm »
+1
Hey Coolmate, thanks for your response. I will make sure to keep that option open in my mind.

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2019, 09:32:52 pm »
Hey Coolmate, thanks for your response. I will make sure to keep that option open in my mind.

That's ok, no problem! ;D👍
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2019, 09:11:21 am »
They do have to offer at least one maths I believe, but in terms of the sciences no. In rural areas, teacher can be in short supply for those subjects, like physics for example, so they don't offer it. It just depends on teacher demand, subject demand etc. Not 100% sure though.I know right! I was pretty annoyed since you'd think they would have every VCE subject, but they don't. There are quite a few missing.

Surely if we get enough people that wanna do Eng Lang we could ask VSV to run it...wouldnt hurt to try
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

Zappi

• Forum Regular
  • Official ATARNotes Passerer of Food
  • Respect: +61
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2019, 07:44:30 am »
It's definitely a lot better to do it in school if you can. I've heard anecdotally that doing EngLang through Distance Ed's tough but doable :'( Tell me if I'm wrong through, I haven't had that experience myself.

My school's also stopping EngLang classes next year because of low enrolment. Them making it compulsory for EngLang and Lit students to do mainstream English as well doesn't help :-\
2018: English Language | General Maths | Business Management | Japanese SL | Computing
2019: English Language [29] | Further Maths [39] | Business Management [36] | Japanese SL [37] | Software Dev [42] | ATAR: 90.10

JLPT N3 Certified, aiming for N2 in December 2018. Hit me up with any Japanese-related questions!

My website: https://zappi.xyz/

SanchaTheSeeker

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2019, 03:05:45 pm »
My current school has the same issue. In my opinion, I don't really see why a school wouldn't offer ALL English subjects when Eng is compulsory anyway. I believe that all students should have a say in which eng subject they choose as there's no way they can get out of it. I suggest bringing a few people that want to do EngLang too to come with you to the English coordinator or VCE coordinator and talk to them about it. As many people have said, the more the better and I think that you should do it as early as possible because if the subject does get considered and approved, it might take a year or so for it to actually be offered. I think you're in the perfect position as a Year 9 to go ask now and I hope your school offers it in 2021/2022. Good luck!
“Our life is a constant journey, from birth to death. The landscape changes, the people change, our needs change, but the train keeps moving. Life is the train, not the station.”

― Paulo Coelho

Train nerd, Venturer Scout, and JMSS hoomun

JMSS guide: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=189547

ig: @sfaunncgha

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2019, 06:03:07 pm »
+1
In response to the above - it is very easy to assume (as a student) that everything can just happen at the click of a finger but unfortunately schools do not work that way, neither does timetabling. It's all about the finances (and the very important technical constraint of lines/blocking, ensuring that the timetable "works") if we go to the source of every consideration possible.

It'd be fantastic if every single english subject could run, as well as every other VCE/VET subject in existence. Unfortunately that's a fantasy idea and will never happen. Hence why services such as VSV/DECV exist (obviously not the only reason why they exist).

Definitely approaching with interested students who want to do the same subject is a great starting point, however so many things could ensure this isn't possible. For starters, if there isn't a qualified English Language or Lit teacher then that will involve recruiting another teacher which definitely won't happen if there isn't much interest. Secondly, it has to be financially beneficial to the school to run that particular subject which would involve students wanting to do that subject or it being a critical subject (unfortunately while you think Lit/Englang are critical, others do not. The same could be said for somebody who is STEM-inclined and think that Maths or Sci is important and that every single one of these should run).

I'm not trying to sound like a total dick here but as a teacher I do know the backend of what happens when decisions like these are made and it's not as easy as students think to make decisions like this happen. Unless it is a viable decision and one that can be accommodating to the needs of the school, it will not happen.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 06:13:54 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile