Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:54:15 am

Author Topic: 3/4 Physics SOS  (Read 700 times)  Share 

Raihnn

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
3/4 Physics SOS
« on: February 23, 2017, 10:57:39 am »
Hey, basically for the past year or so I've been struggling with Physics since Unit 1/2, partly because of the trash teachers I've had and my ability at the subject.
I continued 3/4 to really test myself if i could make it because i find the passion interesting but I need help.

The teacher I have this year doesn't write up good notes so I take initiative and take my own, which is aggravating as the textbook is wordy and half of the content has to be dissected for okay-ish notes.
^This makes me fall behind as I don't end up answering the chapter questions and the cycle repeats to when I'm 2-3 chapters behind, including that i still don't understand concepts but have to move on. I'll also emphasise understanding concepts, being consistent and the math is also a big issue for me.

How can I be more efficient in class so that i don't fall behind? Or should i have a system outside of class that suits me better to do well in Physics?
I'm also interested on what makes efficient and effective layout for notes   
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 10:59:47 am by Raihnn »

wyzard

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +42
Re: 3/4 Physics SOS
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 08:23:45 pm »
Hey, basically for the past year or so I've been struggling with Physics since Unit 1/2, partly because of the trash teachers I've had and my ability at the subject.
I continued 3/4 to really test myself if i could make it because i find the passion interesting but I need help.

The teacher I have this year doesn't write up good notes so I take initiative and take my own, which is aggravating as the textbook is wordy and half of the content has to be dissected for okay-ish notes.
^This makes me fall behind as I don't end up answering the chapter questions and the cycle repeats to when I'm 2-3 chapters behind, including that i still don't understand concepts but have to move on. I'll also emphasise understanding concepts, being consistent and the math is also a big issue for me.

How can I be more efficient in class so that i don't fall behind? Or should i have a system outside of class that suits me better to do well in Physics?
I'm also interested on what makes efficient and effective layout for notes

I understand your frustration, sometimes we fall out of pace with the class learning rate, sometimes we have teachers aren't that great at teaching and explaining concepts etc.

There are a thousand of ways to improve your efficiency in your own learning. To start with, take charge of your own learning, don't leave your learning to your teachers, figure out where to go next yourself. Definitely have your own system of learning outside of class and your own; independent learning is highly underrated in high school, and if you can cultivate it, it will help you immensely with studies not only in high school, but also in uni in the future 8)

To improve your efficiency, what I'd suggest to start off with is dedicate a fixed amount of time of full focus in studying physics, and stick with it. Plan out the chapters you'd like to read, and the problems you've got to do. Since you're falling behind, what you need now is to pick up speed so you can learn by yourself at a rate faster than the class. The awesome thing is that once you've picked up speed and catch up by yourself, you're in the position to get ahead of the class and have to freedom to learn what's beyond the syllabus!

As for writing notes efficiently, I'd say don't worry too much about getting it right and perfect as it will hinder the flow of learning and break the spontaneity. Instead keep a 'sketchbook' where you just jump in, write down whatever you'd like in an unrestricted fashion. Once you've gained a degree of mastery of the content, you can then write a formal notebook that is neat and summarizes all the ideas for your future reference. I've actually written an article a long time ago about keeping a sketchbook which you can check out: http://www.nerdofpassion.com/blog/keeping-a-science-sketchbook  8)
Graduated from high school in 2012 with atar of 99.55.

Currently doing MSc in Physics at UoM researching on Quantum Computers.

Offering group lessons for Unit 3/4 VCE Methods and Physics for 2017!

Selling awesome and in-depth study notes for Unit 3 Physics, PM me if interested! :D

Writer/Tutor at (Nerd of Passion)!
Connect with me on Facebook!