SACE Stuff > South Australian Education Discussion

Will doing another subject boost my ATAR?

(1/1)

TIU:
Hello, I'm currently in year 11. I'm doing English communications (year 12), physics, research project, P.E. and maths studies.

Next year I'm looking at doing Physics P.E. and Maths Studies. Therefore by the end of year twelve I will have completed English communications, physics, research project and P.E. What I wan't to know is if I pick up a fifth subject will it boost my ATAR?

Tyleralp1:
I thought everyone had to do at least 5 subjects within Years 11 and 12.

The short answer is yes, most definitely take a fifth subject. You could even take up to six, and it'd still work in your favour.

The way in which the ATAR works it takes your 4 best scores(one has to be English), with 10% of your fifth and sixth score. Therefore, by doing a fifth subject it'll basically increased your overall aggregate leading to a higher ATAR.

Blues Fan:
@Tyleralp1, spot on.
It would be an advantage since you'll receive 10% of that subject score.

TIU:
Thanks guys, at my school you only have to do 4 and research project (which essentially counts as a subject). Now I just have to decide what subject to do xD. Thanks again guys :).

spectroscopy:
Sorry TIU but im not sure if the information you have been given is correct
The above posters i think assumed that you are studying in victoria (this is the victorian education discussion board)
but you are actually studying in south australia(i thought the subjects were worded odd)

you should make a post in the south australia section of the forums, though im not sure how many non-victorians go on this website

best of luck

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version